Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 03:30 PM

510 posts, read 2,205,222 times

Advertisements

My wife grew up in North Bellmore and she loved it. Her family still lives there. I am sorry that you couldnt wait to get out of the town. I grew up in Lynbrook. I spent 30 plus years there and I could not wait to move. Its not a bad town, maybe I was just sick of it because I lived there for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 03:44 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
My wife grew up in North Bellmore and she loved it. Her family still lives there. I am sorry that you couldnt wait to get out of the town. I grew up in Lynbrook. I spent 30 plus years there and I could not wait to move. Its not a bad town, maybe I was just sick of it because I lived there for so long.
I am assuming you are older than me. North Bellmore has drastically changed from the time I was a little kid until I got older. Now it's just really bad, so bad, I couldn't take it. It's sad to see the place where your roots are and your home for more than half your life, turn to sh*t right before your eyes.

Anyway, a little off topic. This thread was about levittown. I like L-town, great place.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:10 PM

44 posts, read 129,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I am assuming you are older than me. North Bellmore has drastically changed from the time I was a little kid until I got older. Now it's just really bad, so bad, I couldn't take it. It's sad to see the place where your roots are and your home for more than half your life, turn to sh*t right before your eyes.

Anyway, a little off topic. This thread was about levittown. I like L-town, great place.

And then she moved to Long Beach LOL ... If Bellmore Has turned to sh*t , I hate to say what Long Beach has turned into to .

A small cape in North Bellmore in decent shape goes for 400k+ . The park is always full of kids playing sports . We have a great hockey rink . We have a nice downtown area . We have a very good LIRR station . Probably on the best line . We have a good civic association . We have good shopping . We are smack in the middle of the meadowbrook and wantagh parkways . We are right near the SS parkway and sunrise . We are right near the water . We have a diverse community of working middle class familes . We are lucky to lose you from our town !

Let me guess Jdawg ... Did you happen to see a black family move in or something like that ? That what it sounds like to me . Yesterday you bashed Bellmore AGAIN ... because you had your car broken into at the LIRR station on sunrise highway ( that never happens in good towns .. right ? ) You bashed Bellmore because you saw grafitti ( WOW .. head for the hills ) . You bashed Bellmore because your parents house value dropped ( in the worst economic times maybe ever ) ... all good reasons ... You're a Hater and I will continue to call you out on it and defend Bellmore .

Old 10-20-2009, 04:24 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Sack View Post
And then she moved to Long Beach LOL ... If Bellmore Has turned to sh*t , I hate to say what Long Beach has turned into to .

A small cape in North Bellmore in decent shape goes for 400k+ . The park is always full of kids playing sports . We have a great hockey rink . We have a nice downtown area . We have a very good LIRR station . Probably on the best line . We have a good civic association . We have good shopping . We are smack in the middle of the meadowbrook and wantagh parkways . We are right near the SS parkway and sunrise . We are right near the water . We have a diverse community of working middle class familes . We are lucky to lose you from our town !

Let me guess Jdawg ... Did you happen to see a black family move in or something like that ? That what it sounds like to me . Yesterday you bashed Bellmore AGAIN ... because you had your car broken into at the LIRR station on sunrise highway ( that never happens in good towns .. right ? ) You bashed Bellmore because you saw grafitti ( WOW .. head for the hills ) . You bashed Bellmore because your parents house value dropped ( in the worst economic times maybe ever ) ... all good reasons ... You're a Hater and I will continue to call you out on it and defend Bellmore .
I don't like Long Beach either but I had to get out of Bellmore and the town I really wanted to go to I couldn't afford. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not a millionaire. Who said anything about a black family? Bellmore is 90-something-% white!

yes a cape may go for $400k...my parents don't live in a cape.

I bashed bellmore it personally affected me when people egged my house for being jewish. Maybe it isn't a bellmore thing, maybe it's my family, but we weren't treated nicely there and I left. It's that simple...and it hurts me to go back and look that town in the eye. It personally brings me to tears and then you have audacity to put someone down who doesn't agree with you.

Maybe if you were jewish, you'd love for me to draw a great big swastika on your garage. I bet that you would make you feel all warm & fuzzy inside.

Geez have some compassion or don't say anything at all. When did I ever b*tch you out for disagreeing with me...or anyone else for that matter? So typical of Bellmore, such hate from everyone.

At least I can pride myself on being a good person and the one good thing that did come from bellmore is my family and the values they taught me as a human being.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:34 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,216 times
Perhaps you guys should start up a Bellmore thread. This has gotten a bit off topic.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:10 PM

44 posts, read 129,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I don't like Long Beach either but I had to get out of Bellmore and the town I really wanted to go to I couldn't afford. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not a millionaire. Who said anything about a black family? Bellmore is 90-something-% white!

yes a cape may go for $400k...my parents don't live in a cape.

I bashed bellmore it personally affected me when people egged my house for being jewish. Maybe it isn't a bellmore thing, maybe it's my family, but we weren't treated nicely there and I left. It's that simple...and it hurts me to go back and look that town in the eye. It personally brings me to tears and then you have audacity to put someone down who doesn't agree with you.

Maybe if you were jewish, you'd love for me to draw a great big swastika on your garage. I bet that you would make you feel all warm & fuzzy inside.

Geez have some compassion or don't say anything at all. When did I ever b*tch you out for disagreeing with me...or anyone else for that matter? So typical of Bellmore, such hate from everyone.

At least I can pride myself on being a good person and the one good thing that did come from bellmore is my family and the values they taught me as a human being.

I'll quit getting on you when you stop characterizing my whole town because of a incident that happened to you and your family sometime ago . I'm am a compassionate person , what happen to you is down right disgusting . And should not be tolerated in any community . I have many friends and family in Bellmore/Merrick and they don't have that hate in them . I don't like it when you label the whole town . Thats all I'm saying . Didn't mean to attack you in any way , just wanted to let people know that you have your opinion of the town because of specific isolated incidents that happen to your family .

Truce ?

Old 10-20-2009, 05:17 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Wow, I grew up in bellmore and your experience differs significantly from mine, especially regarding any anti-semitism.

I personally think North bellmore is nicer than levittown, there are certian areas of bellmore I find a little trashy, you could probably say that about a lot of towns, but overall pretty good.

Levittown isn't bad and does have things going for it. I'm sure it was discussed earlier in the thread... I wouldn't live in 90% of levittown as it is filled with levitt houses. I want a basement.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:58 PM

264 posts, read 877,853 times
I hate to keep going off topic but I don't think Bellmore is especially bad for Jews- I think there's a larger community in South Bellmore than North Bellmore though.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,100 times
just found this quite by accident... lived in levittown all my life and i have always loved being here...needless to say we were robbed once while we all slept and the guy that did it was white and living in an appt in levittown...we have also had many block parties and my neighbors are great and having lived in florida for one year i missed the social aspect of being able to walk across the street and borrow sugar from a neighbor and have a cup tea without being worried about when my neighbors will pick up and move (florida is very transient) so 47 years i lived here and my husband also...my 4 children went to levittown schools which have improved so greatly i cant even compare the education that my children have gotten to what my husband and i have...so we have no basement cos we go outside and socialize and we have smaller kitchens but thats is always where the party is no matter how small and it makes so many great memories and the bathroom situation ,,,i have 3 and they are not that small except the powder room....there are many levittown homes as big as mine, my dad built the dormer in 1957 and another one in 1962 and another in 1983 and when we wanted to go bigger cos we were all living together ( including 5 adopted children, many races included) the town denied us and years later there are so many homes bigger than ours that even have upper attic space, what you can do with a levit house is amazing!!!! taxes are high but you will find many owner like ourselves who have never left and have alot of pride in levittown...a side note back to the 5 adopted children a new neighbor in 1975 almost did not buy cos he saw my brother who is afro-american with a boom box by his ear and almost did not buy cos of that...they did anyway when they found out our family was predominantly white and they have never been neighbors that i liked....so for the most part levittown should not have a bad rap it has alot of things wonderful about and we are very defensive of this...once at a garden city game they showed with white trash bags on their bodies to signify well....white trash....ha ha thats is so funny cos in any town anywhere on long island you will find someone who grew up in levittown that loved it and has great memories and they are trying to recreate that feeling in their own towns....my father just passed at 80years old now he grew up in ridge and my mom got letters from there but the letters she got from old neighbors in levittown were so many and filled with wonderful stories of watching t.v on the front lawn and parties and snowball fights and helping each other build things on the houses....levittown is one of the best places to bring up kids and no one can convince me otherwise........true levittonian.....tracy

Old 11-04-2009, 11:57 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglim View Post
just found this quite by accident... lived in levittown all my life and i have always loved being here...needless to say we were robbed once while we all slept and the guy that did it was white and living in an appt in levittown...we have also had many block parties and my neighbors are great and having lived in florida for one year i missed the social aspect of being able to walk across the street and borrow sugar from a neighbor and have a cup tea without being worried about when my neighbors will pick up and move (florida is very transient) so 47 years i lived here and my husband also...my 4 children went to levittown schools which have improved so greatly i cant even compare the education that my children have gotten to what my husband and i have...so we have no basement cos we go outside and socialize and we have smaller kitchens but thats is always where the party is no matter how small and it makes so many great memories and the bathroom situation ,,,i have 3 and they are not that small except the powder room....there are many levittown homes as big as mine, my dad built the dormer in 1957 and another one in 1962 and another in 1983 and when we wanted to go bigger cos we were all living together ( including 5 adopted children, many races included) the town denied us and years later there are so many homes bigger than ours that even have upper attic space, what you can do with a levit house is amazing!!!! taxes are high but you will find many owner like ourselves who have never left and have alot of pride in levittown...a side note back to the 5 adopted children a new neighbor in 1975 almost did not buy cos he saw my brother who is afro-american with a boom box by his ear and almost did not buy cos of that...they did anyway when they found out our family was predominantly white and they have never been neighbors that i liked....so for the most part levittown should not have a bad rap it has alot of things wonderful about and we are very defensive of this...once at a garden city game they showed with white trash bags on their bodies to signify well....white trash....ha ha thats is so funny cos in any town anywhere on long island you will find someone who grew up in levittown that loved it and has great memories and they are trying to recreate that feeling in their own towns....my father just passed at 80years old now he grew up in ridge and my mom got letters from there but the letters she got from old neighbors in levittown were so many and filled with wonderful stories of watching t.v on the front lawn and parties and snowball fights and helping each other build things on the houses....levittown is one of the best places to bring up kids and no one can convince me otherwise........true levittonian.....tracy
Well said, Tracy.....I agree with every word you wrote!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island