Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 04:23 AM

2 posts, read 28,712 times

Advertisements

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 05:08 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
Chroys plan is the best way to go from the Soutn Shore. At times it can even beat the Belt with a normal car.

Technically no commercial vehicles are allowed on the parkways. This included vans w/o side & rear windows. Pick-up trucks with anything in the back (ladders, racks, tool boxes etc)

No u-haul, ryder, penske or any other rental truck is allowed
on the state parkways it's a $125 ticket (I've gotten one)

Old 06-25-2015, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,304 times
How can I get to Long Island Expressway from Woodside Queens/Brooklynwith Uhaul can I drive on BQE to 495?
How do I get to Astoria without getting on Grand Central Parkway off LIE?

Old 06-27-2015, 09:10 AM

796 posts, read 1,755,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Fenton View Post
How can I get to Long Island Expressway from Woodside Queens/Brooklynwith Uhaul can I drive on BQE to 495?
How do I get to Astoria without getting on Grand Central Parkway off LIE?
Yes, U-Hauls are allowed on the BQE. You can get off the BQE at Northern Boulevard (25A) and then continue west into Astoria.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,192 times
Can you take the 9' uhaul van on parkways?

Old 03-29-2016, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,192 times
Hi can I take a 9' uhaul van on the parkways and stuff?

Old 03-29-2016, 04:43 PM

68 posts, read 76,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamionique View Post
Hi can I take a 9' uhaul van on the parkways and stuff?
No. They are considered commercial vehicles. There are also many overpasses that are just about 9 feet high. Van Wyck expressway to Sunrise for South shore or LIE for north shore. (or LIE and trek south when you get to where you need to be)

Old 03-29-2016, 07:52 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Newman View Post
No. They are considered commercial vehicles. There are also many overpasses that are just about 9 feet high. Van Wyck expressway to Sunrise for South shore or LIE for north shore. (or LIE and trek south when you get to where you need to be)
Correct on the commercial vehicles.

Not sure there are any overpasses at 9' high. I have driven a horse trailer on the parkways from Nassau to Staten Island and back without an issue. The only bridge that looked close was the footbridge in Bay Ridge. It was fine from the middle lane, but the right lane was scary. (FYI - I did this with police permission. It was a special situation).

What Uhaul van is 9' high? That sounds more like a truck. The standard u-haul cargo van has a 9'6" interior and only a 7' height. Either way, it has commercial tags - no commercial tags allows on any highway in NYS with the name "Parkway."

A small correction... the Van Wyck south will dump you on South Conduit, which is essential the service road for the Belt parkway. You would take that a few miles east to hit Sunrise. Much better off going further east on the LIE and picking up a major N/S truck route.

If your goal is Nassau, there are only a few places where that route makes sense. Most times of the day it is horrible traffic. The LIE is the best bet.

Even heading to points south in NJ with a truck or commercial vehicle, the best route is usually the Cross Bronx>GWB>New Jersey Turnpike.

If just sticking to LI, stay with any "Expressway" (LIE, Seaford Oyster Bay) or "Highway" (Sunrise Highway). Don't go on any Parkway (Wantagh, Cross Island, Northern State, etc.). The fines can be very hefty.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:02 PM

68 posts, read 76,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Correct on the commercial vehicles.

Not sure there are any overpasses at 9' high. I have driven a horse trailer on the parkways from Nassau to Staten Island and back without an issue. The only bridge that looked close was the footbridge in Bay Ridge. It was fine from the middle lane, but the right lane was scary. (FYI - I did this with police permission. It was a special situation).

What Uhaul van is 9' high? That sounds more like a truck. The standard u-haul cargo van has a 9'6" interior and only a 7' height. Either way, it has commercial tags - no commercial tags allows on any highway in NYS with the name "Parkway."

A small correction... the Van Wyck south will dump you on South Conduit, which is essential the service road for the Belt parkway. You would take that a few miles east to hit Sunrise. Much better off going further east on the LIE and picking up a major N/S truck route.

If your goal is Nassau, there are only a few places where that route makes sense. Most times of the day it is horrible traffic. The LIE is the best bet.

Even heading to points south in NJ with a truck or commercial vehicle, the best route is usually the Cross Bronx>GWB>New Jersey Turnpike.

If just sticking to LI, stay with any "Expressway" (LIE, Seaford Oyster Bay) or "Highway" (Sunrise Highway). Don't go on any Parkway (Wantagh, Cross Island, Northern State, etc.). The fines can be very hefty.
There are quite a few on the SSP. However, you're correct. I read the 9' van to be the height but he's probably referencing length.

I consider South Conduit to be Sunrise. It changes shortly after the airport. Not sure if there is any signage off the Nassau Expressway alluding to that, but it's common knowledge to most...

I agree about Nassau from Queens (unless the party asking is in deep south Queens, which, call it a hunch...).

Old 03-30-2016, 04:37 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Newman View Post
I consider South Conduit to be Sunrise. It changes shortly after the airport. Not sure if there is any signage off the Nassau Expressway alluding to that, but it's common knowledge to most...
Six of one half a dozen of the other. It might depend on which side of the Queens line you grew up on. I never knew anyone to call it Sunrise until the section east of the CIP. (Although it's still "27" on both sides of the city line, I never knew anyone to refer to it as 27 west of the city line).

I knew exactly what you meant. Only pointed out the difference for someone not familiar with the area. Coming down 678/Van Wyck and looking for where it connects to "Sunrise Highway" might confuse some. Even worse if they look quickly and think they can get onto the Belt, as opposed to the "service road"/S Conduit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island