Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 10,586 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any place to get a good price on carpet. Years ago I bought some at a remnant warehouse in Brooklyn, but I don't remember where it was.

If I can't find a place like that, is it better to buy at Home Depot or a local carpet store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 09:44 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,032 times
Cappy's Carpets, Port Jefferson.

LONG TIME family owned business.

If you are looking for "cheap", you're going to get cheap, ok ? Good luck.

You will pay for quality here, period.

We got our pre-finished floor there, after our puff back.

THEY HAD THE MEASUREMENTS, AND INFORMATION, FOR OUR PREVIOUS PRE-FINISHED FLOORING, TWELVE YEARS PREVIOUS, AND HAD THE GUY WHO PUT IN THE ORIGINAL FLOOR !

Where are you going to get service like that ?

NOT at Home Depot or Lowes, I tell you !

Old 02-08-2009, 04:27 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
With carpet, you definitely get what you pay for. Cheap carpet=cheap quality.
Me personally, with kids and pets, I could never go with carpet again.
Nothing beats carpet as far as comfort, but convenience is a different story.
I just got tired of steam cleaning it every few months.
Plus carpet=poor resale.
If you ever intend on selling your house in the near future, not many people will be willing to buy if you don't have hardwoods and/or some type of ceramic tiling. even if you have mint floors under the carpet, people can just be a pain in the but about these things.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:23 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,467 times
Default Home Depot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latmian View Post
Does anyone know of any place to get a good price on carpet. Years ago I bought some at a remnant warehouse in Brooklyn, but I don't remember where it was.

If I can't find a place like that, is it better to buy at Home Depot or a local carpet store?
The co-founder of Home Depot is fighting to defeat new pro-union legislation. Not the best decision in the midst of a recession, unless of course you want a crummy job at Home Depot with poor benefits and low pay.

At some point you need to decide if you are going to support your community, and the people who live and work in it.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
The co-founder of Home Depot is fighting to defeat new pro-union legislation. Not the best decision in the midst of a recession, unless of course you want a crummy job at Home Depot with poor benefits and low pay.

At some point you need to decide if you are going to support your community, and the people who live and work in it.
DEADPOOL'S OFF TOPIC MESSAGE HERE, IS A STEALTH POLITICAL MESSAGE, BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE NATIONAL UNION EFFORT (that began YESTERDAY, EVERYONE here) FOR "CARD CHECK". He must have just come from a Union Meetin' !!

REMEMBER "CARD CHECK", from your current events ? Taking away the Secret Ballot from the American Worker ?

[NOTE: THIS is a satire comment by me, because what DEAD POOL is doing here, is JAMMING in a desparate attempt to insert a OFF TOPIC POLITICAL MESSAGE, into an innocent inquriry for advice, BUSTED, DEADPOOL ]

I must say DOZE UNION GUYZ, DEY are thorough, even infiltrating an innocent forum like DIS, AIN'T THEY ???? [NOTE: THAT'S because, dees
union GUYZ don't have the "juice" to pull off this fiasco on the US worker, in Congress, THIS TIME, ANYWAY]

COMRADE DeadPool, you can go back to VINNY BOOM-BATZ, YOUR SHOP STEWARD, AND...AHEM...NO-SHOW, LABOR RELATIONS, UNION REP-reP-RE-sentative...and tell him DIS ...

YOU FAILED, OK ! SOW-RY Dead Pool !

AND TELL HIM 'DIS....NO BLATANT POLITICAL UNION PROPAGANDA, OK, while I'm here to expose your motives to everyone ?

WE are wize to you...well at least I am !

IF anyone is interested, here is what it's ALL ABOUT...in a very small nutshell !

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0209/18328.html

Last edited by longislandmike; 02-08-2009 at 11:23 PM..

Old 02-09-2009, 06:18 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,804 times
kennedy flooring and carpet in Massapequa on Broadway. family owned for over 30 years. tell them "Kenny" recommended them.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:39 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,250 times
If you go with a reminent you will get more than you paid for. I've gone to Marburn carpet in Lindenhurst and have gotten good deals.

key is finding a nice leftover from someone's job and getting it installed with a good pad.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
If you go with a reminent you will get more than you paid for. I've gone to Marburn carpet in Lindenhurst and have gotten good deals.

key is finding a nice leftover from someone's job and getting it installed with a good pad.

This is TRUE with my experience, as well.

Like anything else, you have to shop with LOTS of discrimination, and really "think" about what you REALLY need.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
With carpet, you definitely get what you pay for. Cheap carpet=cheap quality.
Me personally, with kids and pets, I could never go with carpet again.
Nothing beats carpet as far as comfort, but convenience is a different story.
I just got tired of steam cleaning it every few months.
Plus carpet=poor resale.
If you ever intend on selling your house in the near future, not many people will be willing to buy if you don't have hardwoods and/or some type of ceramic tiling. even if you have mint floors under the carpet, people can just be a pain in the but about these things.
I agree, plus, we did part of our floors ourselves... what came out of and was in that carpet when I pulled it up made me never want carpet ever again! And I own a steam cleaner and did the carpets 1x mo.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Try Dan's Carpet on Middle Country Rd. in Coram.Lots of remnants.I did my kids rooms for $75,and $65 for each role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island