Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:35 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times

Advertisements

Legislature delays action on layoffs -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/politics/ny-ponass0210,0,7251496.story - broken link)

The Nassau County Legislature put off action Monday on a bill that would allow the county to lay off nearly 1,000 workers, including 250 police officers, officials said.

I guess I really never thought about it, but the idea of laying off police officers took me by surprise. Has this ever happened around here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 09:55 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I don't know if there has ever been a Police lay-off in Nassau.
My father got laid off from the City Fire department in the 70's, the only lay off ever for them I believe. If it happened there I guess it could happen anywhere.

My brother and my sister in law both work for Nassau County Police, in a civil-service position(not actual cops). They know they will not be laid off because of their positions, but they are fully preparing to get a pay cut. And they are more than satisfied with less money over no money. They'll adjust and make due if necessary.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
It's terrible to see anyone lose their jobs, but the county needs to be fiscally responsible. The sad thing is that it will be the youngest cops and workers laid off, not the people who are probably already set and could get away with retiring early.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:11 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's terrible to see anyone lose their jobs, but the county needs to be fiscally responsible. The sad thing is that it will be the youngest cops and workers laid off, not the people who are probably already set and could get away with retiring early.
Agreed, if we have a silver lining in any of this is the fact something is being done about the problem. When we were in the horrid fiscal shape we were in 8-10 years ago (when we were facing deficits almost triple what it is expected to be now) the situation kept getting worse and worse and just snowballed out of control because nothing was ever done about it. It led us to junk bond ratings, and having a task force set up by the state which came very close to taking over the county finances. While its terrible we may see people lose their jobs (and as someone who was working in the financial sector in NYC and recently laid off I know how much it sucks), its good to see that we are actually trying to do something about the current fiscal shape of the county instead of just letting it snowball out of control like we did 10 years ago.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:12 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
if we vould just get all of the union/county workers to stop double & triple dipping we wouldn't need to lay anyone off or cut salaries.
I know a few Nassau Police & 911 operators, they love bragging about "triple time" that's when they get paid THREE days pay for working on day if its a holiday or whatever.
Its dogsnot & its got to STOP!!!!
All of these all mighty unions are KILLING this country!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,625 times
Unhappy wastefull use of personel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
if we vould just get all of the union/county workers to stop double & triple dipping we wouldn't need to lay anyone off or cut salaries.
I know a few Nassau Police & 911 operators, they love bragging about "triple time" that's when they get paid THREE days pay for working on day if its a holiday or whatever.
Its dogsnot & its got to STOP!!!!
I agree. I also know people who are employed as Hempstead Police, and it is ashamed that they also brag about their pay and overtime they perform which is not monitored. Example, the last time I called my friend who was on overime informed me, he was hanging out in his patrol car in his driveway for his overtime tour. Thats what happens when you work were you live and supervisors don't monitor their officers wereabouts. ABUSE of the high taxes we pay. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:01 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Do you guys realize that most county union employess(not cops) make on average around 50k? I wouldnt say that "all" county union workers need to adjust their pay scales. The police yeah...but municipality workers, town road workers, etc. No. They are not the ones draining the system.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:51 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
totaly false. this country was in better shape with unions. its the high and mighty in charge of the companies ripping everyone off. This country was built on unions. we need to get back to basics. why shouldnt you get paid extra to work on a holiday?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:03 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
totaly false. this country was in better shape with unions. its the high and mighty in charge of the companies ripping everyone off. This country was built on unions. we need to get back to basics. why shouldnt you get paid extra to work on a holiday?
I'm not sure what's worse, greedy C.E.O.'s or good old days of the mob tax thanks to corrupt union officials. Pick your poison.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:16 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
The problem is that there are no unions in private industry anymore, they are all in civil service and government workers, and those people are all paid by taxpayers, most of whom have no union and who've seen their benefits and pay go down.

So, you are left with private industry employees making the same wage they did 15 years ago, with less benefits, while a Suffolk or Nassau cop makes twice the median income where they live, with a fully funded pension and free health care, or a teacher who makes the median income and pays 3% towards a pension with affordable healthcare.

The problem isn't unions, it's that the only unions left are for people who work for the government.

We need a union for Wal mart, Target, and fast food workers. That would raise the standard of living.

I remember a college class I took where the Professor asked "what is the biggest union in New York state"? A bunch of kids where naming all these blue collar jobs.

He comes back "what is this, 1940? The biggest union is the Municipal Employees!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: