U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2009, 12:00 PM

432 posts, read 978,725 times
Default The snow has melted......

I hate when the snow melts and the garbage that people have thrown out of their car windows is reveled all over the place.

When did we as Long Islanders become such slobs?

I must be the only one who can take garbage from my car and place it where it belongs.

Maybe I'm just paying more attention but its a mess out there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 02:04 PM

376 posts, read 1,160,881 times
I see it to. What I don't get is that the younger people still throw trash out their car windows. Aren't they taught in school about littering and what it does to the environment?! It makes me sick when I take my 9th grader to high school and I see these young drivers tossing out plastic cups, fast food bags...etc right in the middle of the street in front of peoples homes. No respect.

I remember when I was in H.S. in Florida, my marine biology teacher showed us pictures of what happens to the wildlife when caught up in our nasty habits.

Have you ever noticed when sitting in traffic on the S.State heading west all the garbage that has accumulated on the median. When I have to go into Brooklyn, It just makes me wonder what kind of person can just toss garbage out the window and why they can't wait to get to their destination and toss it in a can.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:30 PM

1,813 posts, read 3,401,096 times
My favorite trash (yeah, there's so much of it, I have a favorite) is the plastic water bottles. The idea is that people are probably drinking water instead of soda to be healthy, yet are polluting the environment in which they live.

I pick up around my neighborhood on trash day when it's warm out. I'm noticing it's bad out there, but I just haven't been able to get out when it's warm enough out AND everything is melted.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:15 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,416,037 times
You should see it when I walk through the south Bronx on my way to the school I work at. It's FILTHY. I've never seen any place so dirty in my life. LI is nothing compared to it.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:30 PM

10,526 posts, read 11,041,036 times
I live on a canal and there is an island at the end, a nature preserve. The amount of garbage that washes up onto the shore of the island is disgusting. People must just throw their garbage right into the bay.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:31 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,870,133 times
I have a Moron who lives on my right side.

He represents himself to be an electrician, though looking at his house, with all of the un-sleeved cables, coming out of his house, it's up for conjecture.

Ever since he moved here, he has constantly had some kind of debris on the frontage of his house.

I know he's a MORON because all he has to do, is look around and see NO ONE else does this, on this street.

I've cleaned it up, myself because it gets in the way of my dog, and it looks like it's CORAM or WYANDANCH, or APPALACHIA, or some Third World Country.

I'm tired of it...it's time for a hygiene lesson from Code Enforcement !

Old 02-10-2009, 05:03 PM

15,759 posts, read 16,339,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
I have a Moron who lives on my right side.

He represents himself to be an electrician, though looking at his house, with all of the un-sleeved cables, coming out of his house, it's up for conjecture.

Ever since he moved here, he has constantly had some kind of debris on the frontage of his house.

I know he's a MORON because all he has to do, is look around and see NO ONE else does this, on this street.

I've cleaned it up, myself because it gets in the way of my dog, and it looks like it's CORAM or WYANDANCH, or APPALACHIA, or some Third World Country.

I'm tired of it...it's time for a hygiene lesson from Code Enforcement !
Wow! I am surprised you didn't knock on his door and make him clean it up himself. Don't go soft on us now!

Old 02-10-2009, 05:31 PM

563 posts, read 1,722,844 times
Since I teach high school science down here in Florida (at least until the end of this school year when I rejoin my wife on LI), we run "extra credit" assignments where we have students volunteer their time and go to the beach to clean up trash. Fill one small 13 gallon kitchen size garbage pail bag. Needless to say, it does not take them long.

I read a while back that some people feel that the sheer volume of people that live in the Long Island area is the reason we have so much trash around. Its just impossible to keep it clean. I DON'T BUY IT. There is no reason why the medians, the lanscaped islands in towns or any other area should have the amount of trash it does. Especially when we pay the taxes we do to the various levels of government that exist. Where is state DOT to clean up? Or the town of hempstead, north hempstead, babylon, oyster bay, etc crews? Or the village employees? Once a week, down here in Florida, I see workers, town, state and/or county, along the interstates and roads picking up trash, road debris, etc. I never see it on the parkways or LIE. Do they even cut/maintain weeds...er grass? Occasionally, I see trash bags along the Cross Island but I wonder if its people dumping, or DOT doing some "clean up". You really do not realize how dirty the area is until you travel back and forth between the area like I do, or move away and come back, or its winter, snow melts and then we see the aftermath....or witness it point blank like some of us have.

It irks me...as a citizen and a "scientist" I just like to say that.

On a side note, we also have Department of Correction crews doing some work around the area. They look like county crews to me. I am sure these crews have early release, good behavior or first time offenders but its a good idea nonetheless. I see the deterrent for escape too....shotguns and sidearms. The density of LI might not allow for this option though.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:34 PM

937 posts, read 1,611,457 times
I lived on LI my whole life (40 years) until 2004 and people ALWAYS littered, threw cigarette butts & other garbage out their car windows since I can remember. In general, people on LI have always been slobs. It probably stems from a "I pay so much to live here, I can do what I want" mentality that is ingrained in folks who are pissed off they pay so much to live on LI and that some highly paid state worker will clean up after them. Another thing I don't miss about the population of LI

Old 02-11-2009, 10:26 AM

15,759 posts, read 16,339,643 times
Default Littering = Caning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
I read a while back that some people feel that the sheer volume of people that live in the Long Island area is the reason we have so much trash around. Its just impossible to keep it clean. I DON'T BUY IT. There is no reason why the medians, the lanscaped islands in towns or any other area should have the amount of trash it does.
If we had laws like Singapore does, we would be in great shape!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island