U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Jamaica Estates, Roslyn Heights, Jericho, Syosset, ?
Jamaica Estates 6 24.00%
Roslyn Heights 4 16.00%
Jericho 10 40.00%
Syosset 5 20.00%
suggestions? 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2009, 03:20 PM

7 posts, read 12,783 times
Question Jamaica Estates, Roslyn Heights, Jericho, Syosset, or ?

Family w/ 2 young kids (6 and 2) considering buying home around 500-600k. Wants good schools, decent travel to midtown eastside (under 1.5 hrs- mass transit or drive), good resale value a plus. Likes Jamaica Estates since still via MTA and low taxes but don't know much about it. Nassau seems to have good schools in general but high taxes and LIRR travel? Thank you in advance for your help in narrowing down the choices- or add if you know of another area that fits us and we can afford.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 03:27 PM

15,512 posts, read 15,203,281 times
Judging by your other choices, Roslyn or Roslyn Estates sounds more your speed than Roslyn Heights.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:34 PM

I don't know LI. Would you please elaborate. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:51 PM

7,658 posts, read 10,168,881 times
Does a 500k home exist in Jamaica Estates?

Hell thatd be my pick(if you dont mind private school) but its crazy expensive.

crooks

Old 02-10-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayho88 View Post
I don't know LI. Would you please elaborate. Thanks.
Go to this website:

MLSLI.com – Long Island Real Estate – Find A Home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens

and search for houses in all 3 (Roslyn Heights, Roslyn, Roslyn Estates) and you will see what I mean. Roslyn and Roslyn Estates are more upscale then Roslyn Heights and more in line with your other choices demographically.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:59 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,304,128 times
Your budget will be tight in Jericho. Very little under 600K. Syosset is better in that price range. I do not think you'll get a house in Jamaica Estates in that price bracket--unless shady agents are advertising places outside the Estates as having that address. You MIGHT get something in NE Queens (Bayside, Douglaston, Little Neck) which has a very fast commute on the LIRR or express bus.

Roslyn is kind of eh on the commute, you'd have to drive to a further station as the Oyster Bay branch gets poor service.

Keep in mind that while LI has higher property tax, we don't have city income tax, so depending on your income the tax may be a wash. If you have a high income you may actually be better off in Nassau.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:00 PM

Cool, thanks. I'll check that out. Are there other areas you think might be a good fit for us?

Old 02-10-2009, 04:03 PM

Default Considering Your Price Range ...

I did not read your post thoroughly enough and just assumed by the places you picked your price range would be higher than $500K to $600K. In this case, scratch Roslyn and Roslyn Estates. I would, however, also scratch Roslyn Heights as a place to invest in a home as there is a project there and also illegal aliens.

I did a search on the website I mentioned above for your other three picks and found that Syosset has the most homes in your price range so you will have more to choose from and more bargaining power when negotiating with sellers. Syosset also has a very good school district, so no worries there. I voted for Syosset in your poll. I found maybe 3 homes in Jamaica Estates in your price range and a few in Jericho.

Be aware though, that what you can afford to pay for the house will be more in the lower tax area of NYC versus the higher tax area of Long Island, so if I were you, I would try and keep to the lower end of the scale when looking on LI. (Of course any tax savings in NYC could be offset by the need to pay private school tuition.)

Old 02-10-2009, 04:10 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,304,128 times
As I suspected, some of those "Jamaica Estates" homes are not. Next to Parsons Blvd station is not Jamaica Estates IMO.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
As I suspected, some of those "Jamaica Estates" homes are not. Next to Parsons Blvd station is not Jamaica Estates IMO.
TY for the assist! I had a feeling those were too good to be true! Sneaky realtors at it again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island