Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:49 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times

Advertisements

Another victim of the recession, lots of empty stores in the mall. If Macy's decides to close under-performing stores that Broadway Mall one will be the first to go. Also I think the Astoria Federal bank is moving out of the mall to just across from McDonald's on Broadway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 06:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Oh man...the last Arbys on LI proper gone. There is one left in Queens right off the LIE. Nothing beats an occasional Arbys beef sandwich.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:46 PM

138 posts, read 492,057 times
i was in the Broadway mall tonight.

it was pretty dead for sure

as much as i know there is way too much retail for our own good, i still find it somewhat sad to see closed and empty stores.

no more Gap, Whitman Jewelers, Steve & Barrys and a few others.

it's a nice mall. i hope it weathers the storm. i think Macy's and Ikea and Target can keep it afloat. Macy's seemed to be fairly busy, actually.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:53 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Oh man...the last Arbys on LI proper gone. There is one left in Queens right off the LIE. Nothing beats an occasional Arbys beef sandwich.
Apparently there's one in Sunrise Mall according to Arby's store locator. I have no idea, though. I haven't been in any LI malls in a long time besides Smithhaven, Tanger (both Riverhead and DP) and of all things, Broadway Mall.

I remember when there was one in Patchogue on Sunrise (not so far from the former Long John Silver's). Now it's some crappy Blinds To Go.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:10 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,185 times
The next phase of this Economic Downturn will be a FREE FALL in retail !

Stores will be closing MORE than just "left" and "right"....you will NOT BELIEVE "who" will be closing !

There will be a cultural shift, of Malls, being the center of our social and economic life, because the Malls are going to be, virtually, ghost Malls !

And you will need a wheel barrel of money to buy a Big Mac !

Last edited by longislandmike; 02-12-2009 at 02:44 AM..

Old 02-12-2009, 04:40 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
^^Agreed. I hear Office Depot is closing too.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^Agreed. I hear Office Depot is closing too.

With this, there will be a HUGE move to online shopping. NO overhead. Just what it needed, to be pushed into it, kicking and screaming, into the "new" old, technologies. !

Unfortunately, there will be A LOT of those empty, HUGE malls, and FORTUNATELY, there, with this, be a shift to local businesses. The local strip mall's should remain stable during all of this.

There are going to be A LOT of BIG TIME property holders and commercial real estate agents out of work. Couldn't happen to a better bunch !

Old 02-12-2009, 06:26 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,757 times
It is becoming very hard for the middle of the road malls to compete, especially in an environment like Long Island. Roosevelt Field and Walt Whitman (our two high-end malls) continue to do well. South Shore, Broadway, Sunrise are all struggling as many of those shoppers desire value first and can easily find such items at stores like Target. That is why Taubman wants to build the Mall at Oyster Bay, because the Island still lacks a truly high-end type of mall (well the Americana doesn't count as its basically Madison Ave on Long Island).

No Neiman Marcus on Long Island. One tiny Saks at Walt Whitman. One Nordstrom. While these stores are struggling also due to the weakened economy, these are the types of stores which the LI demographic can and will support. People continue to say we are overmalled, but not really.

Broadway mall will likely survive, but needs to attract a different type of retailer...mini big box stores, maybe some furniture stores ala West Elm. The standard Gap, Aeropostale and Old Navy just isn't going to cut it anymore.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:43 AM

MACY'S will probably fold this year.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:32 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
MACY'S will probably fold this year.
unlikely. From what I've read, they have insane amounts of cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island