U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:54 PM

231 posts, read 522,790 times

Advertisements

What are the downsides and what should you specifically look at when buying a house that isn't occupied and has been vacant for an extended period of time. We saw a house in the fall that did not have anyone living there (the owner died - the family still looked after the house - it's not a foreclosure that is boarded up). I just noticed that it is still on the market. It has to be coming up on a year. Does this affect any specific workings of the house - gas lines, heating/coolong systems, pipes, appliances, etc... that haven't been used in awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 02:14 PM

319 posts, read 398,718 times
I just closed on my house Dec 17th and it was vacant for a very long time..over a year I think! Everything worked fine when we moved in! Its an older home too..like everything inside is from like the 70's! It has gas heat and that works fine even though it is old. We had no problems buying a long time vacant house that also happens to be an old house, but its got great potential and the price was great!

Old 02-12-2009, 02:29 PM

745 posts, read 750,515 times
I would wonder if the house has been properly winterized. If the pipes froze and they burst, it would be horrible. We looked at one house that had that happen, and no one noticed. There was mold EVERYWHERE.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:07 PM

877 posts, read 1,828,426 times
I would think that if it's been kept up (meaning utilities running and paid for, etc.), there really shouldn't be a problem. Can't think of a down side; actually it means you would be able to move in faster than if you had to wait for the owners to move.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:13 PM

2,934 posts, read 5,623,635 times
As long as it was winterized properly or kept heated you should be ok. Make sure that your inspector checks the plumbing and heating systems carefully.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:09 PM

7,695 posts, read 10,650,001 times
You might also want to talk to your RE agent about a Homeowner Warranty

Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 PM

335 posts, read 535,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
You might also want to talk to your RE agent about a Homeowner Warranty

What is that?

Old 02-13-2009, 05:43 AM

2,438 posts, read 5,575,922 times
The only issues could be mice......they like unoccupied homes.

Do you know what tempature the house is set at?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:49 AM

2,934 posts, read 5,623,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modmondays View Post
What is that?
It is a warranty that insures you against major mechanical breakdowns during the first year of ownership.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:45 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,518,082 times
I wouldn't think there would be major issues. My house was unoccupied for 9 months prior to sale and 6 months subsequent to sale and most things were fine.

I would say a few things.
Plumbing backed up within the first week of ownership, not sure if that was a result of the downtime, needed to get rotarooter in.

Next, of the owner died recently there is a tendency of older people to let maintance items go, tune ups, work done on chimneys etc etc... just things to watch out for.

Also, with mine he had a lot of plants, ivy, shrubs etc. the heirs cut the grass, but didn't really mind the ivy shrubs etc. a year of growth unchecked made for a bunch of work to get back to "normal"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island