Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:43 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
With the current market, some of those rich kids will not be so rich any more either....
the "rich" are not affected by the current recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 05:03 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
Here is a thread from a while back on this very topic

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ml#post1608804

But by all means ignore it and prattle on here.

Board etiquette peeves me.

Crooks

Old 02-13-2009, 07:28 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
What school district do your questions apply to?
We were talking about district like HHH, 3v, Smithtown.

One of my friend's husbands went to 3V and lived in "South Setauket". He said there was a huge difference in attitude between the kids, and kids that lived south of 25a were "poor". He felt like an outcast and would have rather lived in a district where everyone was on the same level.

I went to Longwood, so I don't really have much insight on the rich kid/poor kid dynamic of upper middle class districts. I really did enjoy my years in high school, and I never felt less than anybody.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
Here is a thread from a while back on this very topic

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ml#post1608804
Thanks for the link. That thread offered some good insight on both sides.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:38 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post

One of my friend's husbands went to 3V and lived in "South Setauket". He said there was a huge difference in attitude between the kids, and kids that lived south of 25a were "poor". He felt like an outcast and would have rather lived in a district where everyone was on the same level.

I went to Longwood, so I don't really have much insight on the rich kid/poor kid dynamic of upper middle class districts. I really did enjoy my years in high school, and I never felt less than anybody.

Huge ans painful difference between the Murphy and Gelinas kids in 3V.

crooks

Old 02-13-2009, 07:53 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,555 times
Quote:

With all of the distractions there are today, MORE than just a small time ago, it comes down to being self-centered, and generally BORED. Overexposure is just tooo mind-numbing.

One would think, there was not enough TIME, to do ALL to what's available out there, but No. They just want MORE.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:53 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
the "rich" are not affected by the current recession.
Really? All those people who lost half their investments, the ones whose jobs are connected to the finance industry... Read the Times sometime, the rich are hurting. And crying about it. They had a party for 15 years and now the bill is due.

Also, not everyone in those "rich" districts really is rich. Some, like 3V, HHH, Woodbury, etc are upper middle class and have a lot of families who stretched to buy in a crazy real estate market. A lot of people on LI were living beyond their means. The McMansion has a mortgage, the BMW is leased.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:32 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Kids reflect parents' attitudes - so if you drum into them they're inferior due to your own financial circumstances, they'll probably be miserable. But if you don't, they'll be fine.

My kids went through a school district that had quite a number of rich, spoiled kids. But not all the kids in the district were from well-off backgrounds like that; in fact I'd say that there were more middle class kids in the district overall. My kids certainly never suffered from envy, they had many friends, some very well off with many material advantages, and yet they never begged for things.

It really has more to do with the attitude of the family than anything else (and how materialistic the family is).
Very true!

My children are some years behind yours, but the same still applies here.

Their friends are from all ends of the district and we haven't had any problems with not being able to have what the wealthy families have.

My children have a solid family unit, 2 loving and involved parents and a modest home where everyone sits down together for dinner every night. They've seen us budget and plan, they've seen us buckle down when need be, they've seen us celebrate when things go very well.

If a family's priorities are in order, being on the middle to lower end of the economic totem pole in a wealthy area is not an issue.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:19 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:

I'm N25A in Stony Brook. We are far from 'rich'. My childrens' friends live all over the district -- South Setauket, Strathmore, newer developments off Pond Path, Strongs Neck, Poquott, Old Field, in the historic districts -- you name it.

As is the case ANYWHERE -- there are snotty brats. Sheesh -- they existed back when I went to Plainedge -- which was not a wealthy district by any means.

AndreaII wrote, "Kids reflect parents' attitudes - so if you drum into them they're inferior due to your own financial circumstances, they'll probably be miserable. But if you don't, they'll be fine." That's very true.

There are children who have missed out on being friends with others because their parents felt the other child/child's family was 'beneath' them. Who is the big loser in that case? The one parent who did that with her child and one of my children has a child who is now in therapy, while the phone rings off the hook for my child.

What I have found is that my children have made friends with other children who share common interests with them. They are a real mixed bag socioeconomically, but they are the best of friends. There have been sleepovers in mansions, development houses, beach cottages -- you name it. They've driven in high end luxury cars and beaters. They share CD's, clothes, form study groups at one another's homes, gone on vacations and camping trips. They are happy to be amongst each other.

One friend had a family which couldn't afford to buy her a computer for school work. The 'gang' took up a collection of $20-$25 each and bought her a laptop for her 16th birthday. Some children, like my oldest, worked to earn that money while others hit up their parents. How they came upon the money isn't as significant as they fact that they take care of each other rich, middle, or poor.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:21 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Really? All those people who lost half their investments, the ones whose jobs are connected to the finance industry... Read the Times sometime, the rich are hurting. And crying about it. They had a party for 15 years and now the bill is due.

Also, not everyone in those "rich" districts really is rich. Some, like 3V, HHH, Woodbury, etc are upper middle class and have a lot of families who stretched to buy in a crazy real estate market. A lot of people on LI were living beyond their means. The McMansion has a mortgage, the BMW is leased.
i am not talking about 3v hhh, i dont consider most of those areas rich. upper middle class imo. Dont get me started about the rich hurting. i work in the upper class areas, and there is so much construction and such going on. down in hewlett harbor, 3 homes were having elevators put in.Hurting? i dont think so. the middle class is getting f%$ked! all these ceo's still getting bonuses while workers are getting laid off? gimmie a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island