U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 PM

5,643 posts, read 4,236,192 times

Advertisements

If your kids play TRAVEL sports, you will meet people. You will have to go away together for games, tournaments, maybe even the states. That will develop a camaraderie like nothing else can, no matter where you originally came from, or even where you now live on LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 11:33 PM

1,026 posts, read 2,065,229 times
I lived on Long Island for 12 years, and made many dear friends during my tenure there. I found that the best way to meet folks was through community activities. Do you have a talent for singing? theatre? Maybe a desire to get involved backstage? Most of my closest friends up there have been folks that I met doing theatre and singing in chorus (and in fact, my involvement in one chorus will keep me coming up to Long Island once a week to rehearse with them).

Trust me - I know how hard it is to adjust, and when I moved up I was only 2 hours away from family and friends.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:54 AM

843 posts, read 1,190,533 times
Default I haven't had that experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeb4 View Post
We moved to LI about 6 months ago. I was born and raised in the South but have lived abroad and in CA so I'm certainly not a bumpkin. I am college educated and consider myself intelligent. That being said, LI is the hardest place to make friends that I have ever encountered. We have invited several friends over for our 9 year old son(from his 3rd grade class) and NONE have reciprocated. He is involved in basketball and will soon start baseball, so hopefully something will come to fruition from that. The women that I work with constantly make jokes at my expense regarding my accent(which I am told is very slight) and they even went as far to ask me last week if we celebrate Lincoln's Birthday where I come from. I have reached out to several women from my son's school but they always seem to have "family obligations". I have always had many friends and I just don't get this. Can someone enlighten me on why folks are so stand offish here???
There is a money thing that gets in the way of friendship, as there are people who have children at my son' school that I wouldn't want to hang out with because of the value of their boots and the McCain stickers on their SUVs. But that is admittedly class envy on my part.

That goes both ways, as their are people who want to communicate class to others and stay clear of us.

So, join a mom's club and get out and meet people you like. Shop for friends.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:17 PM

223 posts, read 262,454 times
Thank you all for the info.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:47 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,143,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeb4 View Post
Thank you all for the info.
I am in Smithtown as well. My wife was recently sucked into the vortex known as the PTA, and through local sports, the local Little Gym and local parish we have made a number of friends. I laughed listening to the references of the area as "snobtown"...my kids play with the neighborhod kids plenty. I find the area from Kings Park to Nesconset to be a mix of working class and professionals. You might also be stuck in the winter doldrums as neighborhoods are a lot quieter when it is cold...dead quiet some wintery days.

My wife is a good example of the classic Long Islander. Essentially born and raised on Long Island, with a very tight knit family (trust me, I try and duck them frequently but they are everywhere) all within 20-30 minutes or less commute on average, and childhood friends going back 20-30 years. She has a well established roster of longtime friends, so cracking the list is difficult, and cracking others' lists is initially tough as well. But we were new to Smithtown and as our children get more involved we are building those friendships and are getting closer with local families as well. I really enjoy Town of Smithtown, and as spring approaches I am sure you will find yourself increasingly engaged. One thought for the summer is to join Smithtown Landing for the pool and kids programs. It is right there in Kings Park essentially and a great way to get to know area families. We're joining up for the first time this summer...just don't laugh at my love handles if we bump into each other poolside .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island