Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 07:46 AM

208 posts, read 911,720 times

Advertisements

I know there was a thread a while back about tipping, but that mostly was referring to mail carriers, UPS drivers, etc., but I have a question about a different kind of tipping.

what is the consensus here on tipping people that perform a service for you that are in fact making the money on the job for themselves, not working for someone? for instance, you know a plumber who is in business for himself and works for himself, does he need to be tipped on a job? Or a guy that does carpeting who does all the work by himself, should he be tipped? I am of the opinion that they do not need to be tipped extra above the job price because they are getting all the money for themselves to begin with. In the case of a carpet guy who works for a carpet company, then yes, I would tip them and anyone else who works for someone else, but I feel people who work for themselves do not need to be tipped. My wife thinks they should get a tip anyway.

Discuss. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 07:50 AM

481 posts, read 1,057,556 times
This is what I go by; if it's their company you don't tip them, since the money all goes to them. However, if they go above and beyond the call of duty, then a nice thank you is in order. For example, we had our oil guy come to fix the oil burner (emergancy) on New Year's Eve, so I got him a gift certificate to a restaruant with a nice thank you note.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:57 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,589,923 times
I was raised with the philosophy that "one does not tip the owner". The logic being that the owner is already receiving all of the business's gross income for the specific job being done. So in the case of the one-man business such as the plumber, for instance, then no the owner/operator should not be tipped. Just MHO.

Here's an analogy: Does anyone tip their doctor, no matter how good of a doctor he or she is? Never. Because it's the same situation: The doctor is an owner/operator of a service/business that you chose to utilize and for which that medical "business" is getting paid, either by you personally or by a combination of you and the insurance coverage which you pay for.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,220,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
I know there was a thread a while back about tipping, but that mostly was referring to mail carriers, UPS drivers, etc., but I have a question about a different kind of tipping.

what is the consensus here on tipping people that perform a service for you that are in fact making the money on the job for themselves, not working for someone? for instance, you know a plumber who is in business for himself and works for himself, does he need to be tipped on a job? Or a guy that does carpeting who does all the work by himself, should he be tipped? I am of the opinion that they do not need to be tipped extra above the job price because they are getting all the money for themselves to begin with. In the case of a carpet guy who works for a carpet company, then yes, I would tip them and anyone else who works for someone else, but I feel people who work for themselves do not need to be tipped. My wife thinks they should get a tip anyway.

Discuss. thanks
I agree with your point of view.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:03 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,512,208 times
There is no need to tip an owner. The best tip you can give is a referral of family and friends to that owner.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:58 PM

572 posts, read 1,680,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
There is no need to tip an owner. The best tip you can give is a referral of family and friends to that owner.

Agreed.. I recently had a plumber come and do work at my house. $700 dollars later, I finally had my plumbing up and running (and some additional holes in my kitchen wall that I had to patch up at a later date). Although the guy was absolutely awesome, I didn't feel that I had to go above and beyond payment for his services - he came to do the job that was needed to be done.

However, anytime anyone has a plumbing problem, I refer this guy first and foremost.. I'd have to guess he's gotten at least a few hundred dollars of new business from my referral alone.. I think that's better than a one-time tip.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:14 PM

8,805 posts, read 21,224,781 times
I really never considered tipping the electrician or plumber. They are there to do a service for which they are well compensated. It is not like the newspaper or Chinese delivery guy .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-17-2009, 04:54 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,332,215 times
Not all doctors are owners, especially in larger practices, they can get paid just like everyone else.

I personally don't think tipping tradesman is appropriate. Certian jobs tips are "encorporated" into their compensation, hairdresser, delivery people, newspaper. As far as I'm concerned, everyone else gets a nice thank you.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:37 AM

4,694 posts, read 8,726,509 times
I take it on a case by case basis. When the cable guy came, he was up in my cramped and uncomfortable attic on a hot day (100+ degrees) for a while running cable, so I felt he deserved a little something "extra". On the other hand, when I had my carpet installed, the guys left a mess (small remnants and packaging) laying around so I didn't give them anything.

My Newsday delivery guy is always including envelopes asking for tips, but this idiot throws the paper under my car 2-3 times a week. My NY times guy, however, manages to get the paper on my doorstep every day. Obviously the NY Times guy is getting a tip and Newsday guy gets nada.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:55 PM

8,805 posts, read 21,224,781 times
My Newsday delivery guy is always including envelopes asking for tips, but this idiot throws the paper under my car 2-3 times a week. My NY times guy

I thought I was the only one who got those two papers everyday.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island