Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:03 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
While I'm sure there will be a lot more short sales than currently, I don't agree about NOTHING BUT--simply because not everyone will qualify. "Hardship" is indeed hardship as defined by lenders and that's a lot "harder" than most people think
How will having a Judge, "second guess" the original mortgage agreement, influence, how mortgages are going to be "set out" in the beginning ?

Will there be a "chilling effect" by the Court System, on the work, you guys do to sell a home to someone ?

Obviously with someone "breathing down your neck" on the original house sale, will make SOME difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 08:42 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
How will having a Judge, "second guess" the original mortgage agreement, influence, how mortgages are going to be "set out" in the beginning ?

Will there be a "chilling effect" by the Court System, on the work, you guys do to sell a home to someone ?

Obviously with someone "breathing down your neck" on the original house sale, will make SOME difference.
Not sure I fully understand your question, so I'll address things as I "hear" them.

I don't see much court intervention as a result of a short sale declination.
Hardship is the key. One example of a hardship is if you can't make ends meet (for necessities), you are behind in other bills, and your current income is insufficient to continue to make the necessary payments for the foreseeable future (you have to prove this). However, the type of (other) debt is important here--not Macy's, etc. but maybe unexpected high medical bills, etc.; in other words, fiscal irresponsibility will not be "rewarded" with letting you off the hook via short sale. If that's the situation, then it could end up as a foreclosure/REO or bankcruptcy=REO.

Current mortgage underwriting has gone back to the "old way" - prove your income, show us your downpayment, etc. FULL disclosure (with rare exceptions), so I see no reason for Court interference in current loan documents.

The current (temporary) "cram down provision" (part of the bail out package) could have a noticeable effect on agents' business--we will see.

But I know many agents who are not at all interested in doing short sales, because it's very labor intensive with no guarantee of success - and very drawn out with regard to time as well; some (potential) buyers wait 60-90 days just to find out if their offer was accepted.

Don't know if I answered your question

Old 03-07-2009, 05:22 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,128 times
Live in an apartment for 3 years then your a first time home buyer again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: