U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:53 AM

7,658 posts, read 10,721,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoret68 View Post
There are pro-Walmart signs posted at N. Ocean Avenue and the Sunrise Access road in Patchogue. Is Walmart planning to open a store in the area?

Its propaganda.

There is overwhelming opposition to it.

Wal-Mart Free, Patchogue

crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 07:58 AM

7,262 posts, read 7,526,917 times
Overall they are very bad for the US. Yes, you can buy lots of cheap Chinese made crap, but with that you've killed manufacturing in the US and you have entire communities that are basically controlled by Walmart..they buy everything there and half the town works there. What kind of life is that?

I don't mind spending a little more to not patronize them. And, yes, I don't know why, but ever time I've ever been there, there has been some kind of incident or people are extremely rude. Never again.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:03 AM

13,754 posts, read 15,730,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Wal mart has forced factories in the US to shut down. They buy most of thier goods from china. There is a special on tv that showed how they squeezed us companies out of buisiness. Wal Mart dosnt care about its employees either. This country needs to get back to manufacturing again. the problem is, it does cost a little more to manufacture here.take a look at this link
Wal-Mart You Don't Know | Fast Company

Thats just one example

I saw the special several years ago and it was very interesting. There are certainly some strong arm tactics involved; but whose to say that is still business as usual X years later?

Here's a recent oped article on WalMart -- interesting to read.
CHARLES PLATT GOES UNDERCOVER AT WAL-MART - New York Post

Almost all companies buy most of their goods from China -- go into any big box store and look at the "Made In" labels.

Are the Targets, KMarts, etc. playing it fair, or are they following calls from the WalMart playbook?

While we're at it, let's talk about Hershey.
Hershey’s Reading plant closing today | Philadelphia Inquirer | 02/20/2009 (http://www.philly.com/philly/business/breaking/39920502.html - broken link)

Hershey has been shutting down lines in the USA and moving production to a NEWLY built facility in Monterrey, MEXICO. The most recent move was closing Reading, PA LAST week. Not only were manufacturing jobs lost here, but construction jobs, too.

Chocolate kiss my arse.

Yes, manufacturing jobs have to be returned to the USA.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:06 AM

8,126 posts, read 8,154,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Overall they are very bad for the US. Yes, you can buy lots of cheap Chinese made crap, but with that you've killed manufacturing in the US and you have entire communities that are basically controlled by Walmart..they buy everything there and half the town works there. What kind of life is that?

I don't mind spending a little more to not patronize them. And, yes, I don't know why, but ever time I've ever been there, there has been some kind of incident or people are extremely rude. Never again.
Honestly store placement is the key.If they are placed near mom and pop stores or similiar small business; yes I agree. When they are placed in areas with corporations and franchises it is suitable.The problem is though that when you have a company like this they very well can overexpand and on long island the in store help always seemed to be pretty rude individuals.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:08 AM

704 posts, read 973,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoret68 View Post
There are pro-Walmart signs posted at N. Ocean Avenue and the Sunrise Access road in Patchogue. Is Walmart planning to open a store in the area?
Yep, they plan to open on the NE corner of Hospital Road & Sunrise. Traffic will be a freaking nightmare if that comes to pass, and it's supposedly already screwing over new development:

Quote:
A Shop Rite wants to move into the old Waldbaums and the Walgreens wants to move into the old Hollywood Video. This is being halted because they now want escape clauses because of Walmart.
There isn't much of a source, but it jives with the lack of progress on that project.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:11 AM

2,846 posts, read 6,109,508 times
There was another thread about Wal-Mart pretty recently on here....this is what I had to say in that one, so I might as well just say it again here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I didn't watch the Wal-Mart movie, but I'm sure I agree with it's sentiments. I am a free market believer, I am not denying Wal-Mart's right to be as callous and underhanded as they want in order to make a can of cat food ten cents cheaper.... but I do think that each one of us owes it to ourselves to recognize how much this type of business model is destroying America and how our decisions as consumers have already changed the landscape of this country and eradicated jobs, careers, decent wages, neighborhoods, towns, cities, communities, relationships, respect, dignity and the American Dream.

I don't know if every American believes they're worth their weight in gold, there are certainly tons of people who believe this on Long Island.... a few of my friends who have recently been laid off from their slick jobs they got right out of college are perfectly content sitting around collecting unemployment and complaining about it.... but this isn't really the problem, the bigger problem is that a large number of somewhat decent paying jobs no longer exist in this country. Look at wages compared to inflation over the last 50 years, it's entirely out of whack. The more box stores and Wal-Mart's we've got out there, the more TV sets and useless electronic trinkets get sold off a boat from Malaysia. The more that happens, the less TV sets get sold off trucks from America (do they even make these here anymore?) The less American TV sets get sold, the more American factories close. The more American factories close, the less American jobs there are. The less American jobs there are, the more employees there are at Wal-Mart pulling minimum wage, on welfare, buying cat-food for $1.10 as opposed to $1.69 at a place that still gives a Christmas bonus.

And we always knew this would happen, but they told us "that's why you gotta get that degree! All the jobs in the future will involve the internet and computers! You'll work from home and make a million bucks with a Bachelors!" But it's obvious how well that worked out....the more college graduates we've got, the more worthless a degree becomes. More education, less skill, more Wal-Mart...
I personally have a much more effective, revolutionary method that I use to save money. I call it "not constantly spending money on useless crap". This allows me to spend the extra $2 to shop local and buy American.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:14 AM

1,056 posts, read 594,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Wal mart has forced factories in the US to shut down. They buy most of thier goods from china. There is a special on tv that showed how they squeezed us companies out of buisiness. Wal Mart dosnt care about its employees either. This country needs to get back to manufacturing again. the problem is, it does cost a little more to manufacture here.take a look at this link
Wal-Mart You Don't Know | Fast Company

Thats just one example
walmart isnt the reason. come on now. look at the autoparts industry. they go to china for cheaper parts. it has nothing to do with walmart. most companies go overseas for cheaper labor. look at AOL. when you call them for help, you get someone from india. why? its cheaper.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 AM

1,056 posts, read 594,268 times
walmart buys in "bulk", thus the cheaper prices. they can buy alot more of product "a" then lets say, target or sears.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 AM

36 posts, read 140,430 times
You clearly know nothing about Supercenter Wal Mart where the majority of business is sold in the grocery side of the store where almost 100% of the items are made and manufactured here in the US. Groceries are 15-25% less than other traditional Grocery stores. Plus Wal-Mart is taking the lead in green and environmental issues.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:18 AM

1,005 posts, read 2,393,700 times
As I said earlier, Super Wal-Mart will never come to LI and it's for purely business reasons. LI was an incredibly tough market for Wal-Mart to crack (we still have a lot fewer of them than other areas of comparable size) and we have a very strong, diverse supermarket sector. Further, the operating and real estate costs on LI are very high. Groceries are very low margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island