Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:58 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times

Advertisements

If it will be anything like their News 12 website, if you are a subscriber to Cablevision, you can view it for free.

From the login for the News 12 site:

Yes, I am a subscriber to:
Cablevision
Comcast
Time Warner
Service Electric

No, I am not a subscriber

Click here to purchase a monthly or yearly subscription to the site.
Only $4.95 a month or $48 yearly.

However it remains to be seen how many people would bother to get a screenname and log in to Newsday even if it is free. I don't bother with the News 12 site much even though I have a free screenname because I subscribe to Cablevision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 AM

183 posts, read 618,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Since all of us internet readers expect all content for free from Newsday (and similar online newspapers) the industry is still trying to figure out how to make money online. This "free" thing isn't working. This is a link to an interesting article I read about the only seemingly profitable "print only" local newspaper in Jersey. The owner/editor makes some interesting points.

US: print-only local paper's success - Editors Weblog
I am familiar with this paper and many people in the industry (yes I am in the ungodly newspaper industry) refer to it as a 'Profitable PennySaver' because of the amount of ads in it....not that there is anything wrong with that! But it is hardly a real newspaper, which yes, is dying daily!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:11 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Sad to say..but all newspapers, magazines, periodicals and even the postal service are dying a slow death due to the internet/computers. The times are changing.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 AM

183 posts, read 618,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Sad to say..but all newspapers, magazines, periodicals and even the postal service are dying a slow death due to the internet/computers. The times are changing.
Agreed but with things like Netflix I see the Postal service lasting a while longer but not without a rates upjacking! As we go to digital everything these physical dvd's, newspapers, magazines will vanish.....just a fact of the matter.....

Old 02-27-2009, 04:32 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Ohhhhh Nooooo.. I'll miss the exciting "news of the Hamptons", pictures of celebrities and their kids , and those wonderful car accident photographs.
Good riddance.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:34 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Guess I'll have to lurk here more often to get the news from back home.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:14 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Ohhhhh Nooooo.. I'll miss the exciting "news of the Hamptons", pictures of celebrities and their kids , and those wonderful car accident photographs.
Good riddance.
U hit the nail on the head. They have one of the worst sites I've ever seen for a major daily newspaper, by far. Poor in just about every aspect. Yup! Good riddance! Let's see how many will actually be stupid enough to pay

Old 02-27-2009, 11:00 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianwaters View Post
Agreed but with things like Netflix I see the Postal service lasting a while longer but not without a rates upjacking!
First class mail is going up 2 cents in May . But they're still selling "Forever" stamps...

Old 02-28-2009, 02:40 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
The Newsday website has an incredibly poor layout. Downright sloppy really...on top of that the search function is completely unusable, if I ever need to find something on there I just do it through Google. The "Long Island: Our Story" section is a total mess, missing articles and MOST pictures.

I'm OK with the print version, but I wouldn't be interested in paying for what is really a pretty sorry website.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:44 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If it will be anything like their News 12 website, if you are a subscriber to Cablevision, you can view it for free.

From the login for the News 12 site:

Yes, I am a subscriber to:
Cablevision
Comcast
Time Warner
Service Electric

No, I am not a subscriber

Click here to purchase a monthly or yearly subscription to the site.
Only $4.95 a month or $48 yearly.

However it remains to be seen how many people would bother to get a screenname and log in to Newsday even if it is free. I don't bother with the News 12 site much even though I have a free screenname because I subscribe to Cablevision.

It's probably as useless as their...ahem..."news"...never knowing when it's server (pre-recorded playback to air or "tape") or "live"....in both cases, very lame, on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island