U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2009, 01:04 PM

9 posts, read 15,611 times

Advertisements

If you live in Hicksville and are on Old Country Road going towards Westbury , you might want to steer clear of enjoying a nice latte . Turn around and go to the Plainview one.Seems a couple of nice Long Island citizens at 6:30 pm came in with guns and robbed the Starbucks over there . Dont worry , its only a few incidents.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 01:19 PM

2,846 posts, read 6,279,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd926 View Post
So, since you live in North Wantagh , have fun at Jones Beach this summer JONES BEACH - A 19-year-old was shot in the face Monday in the parking lot at Field 4 at Jones Beach I know ....it was only once and you dont go to field 4 or you go to Tobay ...you never liked Jones beach much anyways.
I think you messed up the date when you Googled "wantagh murder" - that happened last summer. I actually go to Gilgo most of the time, but I still go to Jones Beach Field 4 once in awhile. No way would that ever prevent me from going there.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:29 PM

4 posts, read 1,311 times
I go to the middle school and pretty much everyday after school 2 groups of both boys and girls yell and fight in the street behind the libery until the leave or cops come. and inside school between periods they fight and try to break open lockers. also last month or so a kid brought a gun to school. One day I was leaveing and the spanish kid was getting the Crap beten out of him until final the princable came.even this girl is now in juvie cuz she keps getting into fights and her cusin vidotapes them. We went to the high school to practice for the consert and when we went to the bathroom kids were smoken pot and tryin to sell it to us.During the day gangs of spanish kids patrol the area. But this is just mostly regular stuff. And ive lived here all my life.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:40 PM

4 posts, read 1,311 times
The cops around here dont do ****. Ive only seen a cop by my house 2 in 5 years. all of those cop vids on tru tv r nothin like how it is. the go trough lights and once my unkle pulled up at the small firestation ( there redoing it now) and a old man who was part of the mafia pull out a gun but my unkle hit the gas. but not a single cop saw anything.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,324 times
Smile Advice on moving to Hicksville

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and need advice. My husband and I are considering buying a house in Hicksville for many reasons, low taxes, schools, location(close to City). We both live and grew up in Astoria, Queens so we know what it's like to live among all different ethnic groups so our shock value is very low when we here that Hicksville has become diverse. However, based on all the negative posts on Hicksville being unsafe and having crappy schools is making me a little worried about moving here. I figure, we might as well stay in Queens, right? I don't want to move anywhere in LI where I have to pay for a private education for my children, that defeats the point of moving and paying the higher taxes. Again, I don't know much about LI so if anyone can really give me sound advice about Hicksville, I would greatly appreciate it. Please, I am not out to bash anyone here, I just don't know much about LI in general and I guess I have this pre-conceived notion that you can't go wrong with LI for the most part.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:30 PM

14,392 posts, read 7,802,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomfrita View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and need advice. My husband and I are considering buying a house in Hicksville for many reasons, low taxes, schools, location(close to City). We both live and grew up in Astoria, Queens so we know what it's like to live among all different ethnic groups so our shock value is very low when we here that Hicksville has become diverse. However, based on all the negative posts on Hicksville being unsafe and having crappy schools is making me a little worried about moving here. I figure, we might as well stay in Queens, right? I don't want to move anywhere in LI where I have to pay for a private education for my children, that defeats the point of moving and paying the higher taxes. Again, I don't know much about LI so if anyone can really give me sound advice about Hicksville, I would greatly appreciate it. Please, I am not out to bash anyone here, I just don't know much about LI in general and I guess I have this pre-conceived notion that you can't go wrong with LI for the most part.

Hicksville is safe and the schools are fine. They aren't top tier such as Jericho or Great Neck (which you would pay much more to live there) but the quality of the schools in Hicksville and neighborhood itself is fine. Unfortunately, some people like to cherry pick incidents here and there and make an area sound much worse than reality because they have problems with diversity.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:51 AM

9 posts, read 15,611 times
Smash255,
Are you really going to say the schools are fine when you dont send your kids there. A few incidents here and there ....why dont you look into your information and it is about 150 reported incidents a year. You have to go to the school and decide for yourself. It will alleviate any concerns you have . It might be nice to buy a house now but what about when you are still paying your mortgage 30 years from now in a area with " a few incidents here and there " I lived in Plainview my whole life and I am happy to say I didnt hear about any incidents . I felt completely at ease and safe my whole childhood.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:58 AM
LIR

74 posts, read 159,446 times
Default Schools

I have worked in both the Plainview and Hicksville School Districts. Hicksville's state test scores may appear lower than some neighboring districts, but the lower scores are generally from the students who are still learning English. (FYI, the state requires anyone who has been in the U.S. for 12 months or more to take the state tests, even though it can take seven years to master a language.) I have found the English Language Learners to be hard-working, polite children who are eager to please. In several of their cultures, families do not get involved with the school system, so I know that the PTA's are always looking for more volunteers in order to provide the students with after-school "fun" programs.

Plainview has a much smaller percentage of English Language Learners. In most cases, the children started learning English before starting Kindergarten. There are more stay-at-home moms in Plainview, so there is a more active PTA there. In terms of the strength of academic programs there, I can't say it is any better than neighboring districts. In fact, the POB district recently had to scrap its elementary math program because test scores plummeted. I know that a greater percentage of families hire private tutors in Plainview than in neighboring districts, as there is overt competition between parents over whose child has better scores and gets into the more prestigious colleges. I also know many families who ended up pulling their children out of POB (either sending them to private schools or moving to a new district) because they felt that the snobbery increased in the upper grades. Therefore, bullying may not be physical, but emotional/psychological.

In terms of numbers of incidents in the schools, you have to take it into perspective. Hicksville is a large district. I know the principal I worked for in Plainview looked the other way when it came to behavior issues (she was scared of the parents), so few (if any) official reports were filed.

My suggestion to the original poster about moving to Hicksville is this: If you find a home you like, do some homework about the neighbors. If there are many renters in the area, there will be frequent turnover, so you never know if you will like the personalities of your neighbors. At this time of year, it is easy to spot the well-maintained homes occupied by owners vs. renters, as owners usually take more care in maintaining their lawns and gardens.

Good luck in your search.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,274 times
Ooooooohhhhhh-I can see that this is going to be a fun forum .

Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 AM

14,392 posts, read 7,802,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd926 View Post
Smash255,
Are you really going to say the schools are fine when you dont send your kids there. A few incidents here and there ....why dont you look into your information and it is about 150 reported incidents a year. You have to go to the school and decide for yourself. It will alleviate any concerns you have . It might be nice to buy a house now but what about when you are still paying your mortgage 30 years from now in a area with " a few incidents here and there " I lived in Plainview my whole life and I am happy to say I didnt hear about any incidents . I felt completely at ease and safe my whole childhood.
As far as the 150 reported incidents, depends on what exactly it is. Some schools will go around and report every single little fist fight or possible incident, while others will only report major things. Its a bit different than crime reporting.

As far as comparing Hicksville to Plainview. Of course Plainview is better, I'm not trying to suggest otherwise. The socio-economics of the two areas are also a bit different. Hicksville is a mosly middle class community, Plainview is middle to upper middle class. Also Plainview doesn't have a mall like Hicksville does. Anytime there is a mall, anytime you have an area as big as Hicksville (population wise and traffic wise due to the mall and other things) you are going to have incidents from time to time, however it doesn't make an area bad or turning downhill. The actual crime rate in Hicksville is still extremely low, as low as Plainview? No, but it is still a very safe area.

As far as the schools years from now, fact of the matter is nothing has been shown that the schools are declining. The test scores are fine, the graduation rates, the 4 year college rates are all strong. Are they as good as some of the wealthier areas around it? Of course not, but they are still strong nonetheless and showing no signs of declining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island