Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 11,597 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been living in Stony Brook for 5 years. Recently he accepted a job offer in the city. So we want to move to a place in-between where he can take LIRR to the city for work and I can drive to Stony Brook. The ideal place is around 1 hour to Penn station by LIRR (one way) and 20-25 miles drive to Stony Brook (one way). And we want to find an apartment complex since we plan to have a baby soon. The rent budget is ~$1500/month.

Initially we've been thinking about Huntington and Huntington Station. By on-line search I found an apartment complex named Winoka Manor (156 E. Pulaski Rd. Huntington Station, NY 11746). It is in the walking distance to LIRR Huntington Station and the rent is within our budget. But I read the discussions here and found that that area is not safe. Does anyone know about that place?

We are not familiar with Long Island. Hope someone can help us with the questions:
1. Where should we live? Any places we should consider besides Huntington?
2. Do you have any recommendations on apartment complexes in Long Island (especially Suffolk)? We found that most of them have bad reviews.
3. If we do not live within the walking distance to LIRR station, can my husband find the parking place in train station at 6:30-6:45am weekday?

Thanks a lot!!!
Any inputs are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 04:35 PM

73 posts, read 110,353 times
You've lived in Stony Brook for 5 years and you're not familiar with Long Island? Damn, lady, get out of that little town once in awhile and experience all the great things LI has to offer.

As to your question...if I were you, I'd download a copy of the LIRR route maps, and find a town that's near one of the stations. You can check Ronkonkoma, Holbrook, Holtsville, etc, as they are all near Ronkonkoma station and fairly close to Stony Brook, but the ride on the train is over an hour. Good luck in your endeavors

Old 02-28-2009, 04:37 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,804 times
Massapequa is approximately 55 minutes from nyc (penn station) and stony brook is a good 45 minute drive from pequa.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
Massapequa is approximately 55 minutes from nyc (penn station) and stony brook is a good 45 minute drive from pequa.

Stony Brook was a good 45 min drive from SS Exit 30 when I commuted back and forth in '83. There was a lot less traffic and fewer traffic lights on 347 & Nicolls then.

Depending on the time of day 11790-->11758 can be closer to an hour or more. 45 minutes is with a lead foot and off peak.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:02 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post

Good God no.
Way too much culture shock.
Motzohpizza is definitely an aquired taste and about as polar opposite of Stony Brook as you can possibly find.

I found Babylon to have some of the best commute options in Suffolk, but if I were you Id just stay put and grab the express from Ronkonkoma.
http://mta.info/lirr/html/ttn/ronkonko.htm (broken link)
The 6:24 is an hour and 6 min.
Crooks

Old 02-28-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Good God no.
Way too much culture shock.
Motzohpizza is definitely an aquired taste and about as polar opposite of Stony Brook as you can possibly find.

I found Babylon to have some of the best commute options in Suffolk, but if I were you Id just stay put and grab the express from Ronkonkoma.
LIRR Ronkonkoma Timetable (http://mta.info/lirr/html/ttn/ronkonko.htm - broken link)
The 6:24 is an hour and 6 min.
Crooks

I at Gio's Pizza (formerly Cristianos) in Holtsville the other day. It was delicious.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay813629 View Post
I at Gio's Pizza (formerly Cristianos) in Holtsville the other day. It was delicious.
I was there on Tuesday and it sucked.

crooks

Old 02-28-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I was there on Tuesday and it sucked.

crooks

Shenanigans, but well played.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay813629 View Post
Shenanigans, but well played.
Im just effin with you Jay.

I know people who work in the area.
I've heard the place was good too.

Peace

crooks

Old 02-28-2009, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 11,597 times
Default Thanks

Thanks a lot for all your inputs. I guess Stony Brook is too cozy to drive us out to explore other parts of LI.

So from all the replies, it seems the Ronkonkoma station will be a good staring point. Central Islip station may be another option in the same sense. Would you be kind to give some suggestions on following questions? Really appreciate it.

1. Would you recommend a good apartment complex in a safe/quiet community near Ronkonkoma station or Central Islip station, within 15 minutes driving range? Without seeing enough reviews online, it is hard to decide which to take.
Is there a website giving more surveys/reviews about LI apartment complex?

2. Can anyone tell that how early one needs to drive to the two train stations to make sure there is a slot to park for the day? 6:30 am?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island