U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:19 PM

3,932 posts, read 3,956,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
1. Build new bridges and/or tunnels to Connecticut and even Rhode Island.
Agreed

Quote:
2. Build a high speed railway network connecting Long Island to NYC,
and everywhere else in the country.
Agreed

Quote:
3. Reopen the Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant.
Will never get done due to NIMBYism

Quote:
4. Build another Nuclear power plant on Plum Island.
Agreed big time

Quote:
5. Consolidate L.I.'s 126 school districts into to just two county wide
districts.
disagree, while I favor consolidation I don't agree with it being done on the county level ... look at the county police department's - do you want that type of **** involved in running our schools? I prefer consolidation on the township level.

Quote:
6. consolidate all the other service districts into two county districts.
see above

Quote:
7. replace our regressive property taxes with a progressive income tax.
Agreed

Quote:
8. preserve our farmland and even expand agricultural production. Long
Island has some of the best farmland in the country - lets use it wisely.
agreed

Quote:
9. halt mindless sububanization of what is left of L.I.s farmland and natural
areas. Eat local, seasonal, healthy and fresh foods.
both, I believe the urbanization is key to LI's future - especially urbanizing the East End to allow more housing, jobs, etc.

Quote:
10. encourage greater density development in core areas.
Examples: Patchogue, Northport, Babylon, etc... and connect said places
with Maglev trains to the high speed train network.
I thought that LI's soil type can't really handle large amounts of high rise structures? And of course you would also have the NIMBYism factor.

Other ideas:

- the future of Long Island's volunteer fire and EMS service
- traffic congestion
- healthcare and quality of life issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 03:32 PM

1,058 posts, read 2,401,975 times
Quote:
I thought that LI's soil type can't really handle large amounts of high rise structures? And of course you would also have the NIMBYism factor.
No need to go above two or three stories. Think townhouse/condo development with walkable streets, parks and real stores. These core areas would be connected by Maglev Train to other higher density cores. In between would be farmland used to grow local fresh foods or just woods and open spaces.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:51 PM

7,658 posts, read 11,122,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
No need to go above two or three stories. Think townhouse/condo development with walkable streets, parks and real stores. These core areas would be connected by Maglev Train to other higher density cores. In between would be farmland used to grow local fresh foods or just woods and open spaces.

Precisely

The downtowns out here are more than willing to step up take on the density burden.

The middle of the island needs to step up and take on the transportation burden.

Brookhaven is in dire need of an Intermodal akin to Mineolas with high speed express service to Mineola and NYC.
Would you support expanded LIRR Service/Intermodal for Brookhaven?

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-02-2009 at 05:08 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 PM

Default Of Course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Precisely

The downtowns out here are more that willing to step up take on the density burden.

The middle of the island needs to step up and take on the transportation burden.

Brookhaven is in dire need of an Intermodal akin to Mineolas with high speed express service to Mineola and NYC.
Would you support expanded LIRR Service/Intermodal for Brookhaven?

Crooks
Yes. Of Course.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:46 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,517,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Ten ideas to prepare LI for the 21st century.

1. Build new bridges and/or tunnels to Connecticut and even Rhode Island.
Won't happen. The DEC will never allow it.

Quote:
2. Build a high speed railway network connecting Long Island to NYC, and everywhere else in the country.
And what funds are going to be used to reimburse the owners of the land/property that will have to be acquired in order to construct the infrastructure for the network? LIRR lines are where they are, and it makes no sense to piggyback a MAGLEV/whatever onto that. If the new network is built by private enterprise, they better have really deep pockets in order to acquire the necessary "footprint". And the county and state (who could, I suppose, condemn private land under eminent domain laws? maybe?) would never do it. Look at how long it's taking for the Lighthouse Project to just barely tread water. It would be politics, politics, and more politics.... end result, it would never get done.

Quote:
3. Reopen the Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant.
Never happen. People didn't want it even before 9/11; do you seriously think it would ever fly afterward? One terrorist target in a 100 mile radius is quite enough, thanks.

Quote:
4. Build another Nuclear power plant on Plum Island.
Possibly happen but not in my lifetime, probably not yours either.

Quote:
5. Consolidate L.I.'s 126 school districts into to just two county wide districts.
Far too large. Townwide yes, countywide? Talk about an 800 pound gorilla.

Quote:
6. consolidate all the other service districts into two county districts.
I agree with this one. However the sewer districts would need to remain local. There's no way we will ever have countywide sewers (though it sure would be nice).

Quote:
7. replace our regressive property taxes with a progressive income tax.
I agree with this.

Quote:
8. preserve our farmland and even expand agricultural production.
Agreed, but...The only farmland left is out East, so it can't "expand" very far!

Quote:
9. halt mindless sububanization of what is left of L.I.s farmland and natural areas. Eat local, seasonal, healthy and fresh foods.
Supermarkets such as Whole Foods do this already but there are only 2 of them. How do you propose to get big regional supermarket chains (such as Stop & Shop which is based in Mass and covers NY/CT/MA ... not just LI) to buy in the smaller quantities which local farmers are only able to provide? It's not cost effective for the supermarkets unless they charge more or the farmers absorb the cost of transport.

Quote:
10. encourage greater density development in core areas.
Examples: Patchogue, Northport, Babylon, etc... and connect said places
with Maglev trains to the high speed train network.
Babylon has no more space left for "denser" development and the Village (which is very historically oriented) would NEVER allow it. Northport Village terrain is not suited to it either, and also there's very little unused space. Patchogue yes. For reasons mentioned above, the high speed train network is as much a pie in the sky talking point as the fabled Bridge To Connecticut (remember that? It was supposed to start where the Seaford Oyster Bay Expwy ends. Let's see.... I was in high school 45 years ago when that was supposedly the Big Plan and nothing has changed since)

Old 03-02-2009, 06:04 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,547,448 times
Don't forget that 231 was supposed to run from Babylon village to Northport with a possible bridge to CT. We can see how far that got.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:12 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,547,448 times
To make most of these changes you guys want you're talking about the use of eminent domain. I just don't see how a lot of this gets done on a crowded Island.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:14 PM

Well the alternative is that we slowly fade into economic decline. So I guess were all on board for that because if we don't develop the necessary infrastructure improvements that we need then LI is going nowhere.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:48 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,517,466 times
The inescapable but often-ignored fact is that Long Island was "designed and built" around private-automobile-based mobility. The LIRR lines are the only real nod towards mass transit and unless the bus system is radically reconfigured (which there seems very little incentive to do as long as the majority of LI'ers get from Point A to Point B by car) it will remain so.

As ClarkStreetKid points out, after 60 years of continuing development in its original direction, nothing less than a complete "strip, gut, and remodel" would be able to effect the kind of changes the OP is talking about.

I disagree that LI is likely to "fade into economic decline" without such sweeping changes as the OP speaks of. We are not a one-industry area like Detroit, Orlando, etc. Not to mention that we downstate NY'ers are some of the most resilient people on the planet!

Old 03-02-2009, 09:53 PM

7,750 posts, read 10,884,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Not to mention that we downstate NY'ers are some of the most resilient people on the planet!
Yes! Count me in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island