Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:09 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
eventually, your tv's without a cable converter/box will only be able to receive 2-13.
Not true, like someone else said the switch to digital broadcasting will only affect TVs that solely receive their picture through antennae. You will still be able to have cable without a converter box and it will work fine, exactly like it does now.

I'm personally convinced a big part of the ads hyping "the switch" is to get people to pay an additional monthly fee for cable boxes before they realize they don't have to. Some people I know are even convinced that CRT television sets won't work come June 14 or whenever it is now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 01:45 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
I think OhBeeHave is referring to cable reducing the number of channels available on "basic" without a converter box. Cable wants you to pay for the box.

Since you're hooked to cable (even without a converter box) and getting fuzzy pictures, I would bet you have a signal strength issue. Sometimes a higher quality coax cable can rectify this, although a call to cable is probably the best bet.
No,never do this.I worked for cable for years and there are easy solutions.
#1-bring another tv into the bad room and switch cable to that tv to make sure the tv is not the issue.
#2-if same problem occurs on 2nd tv make sure the interference isn't happening in any other rooms.If it is you either have a bad splitter or maybe a bad wire feeding that splitter.Lower grade wiring like RG59 will be seen especially on channels 2,4,5,7,9 which were originally 'air' channels which will now be digital but also around 17,18,19.

The reason not to call cable first is that if it's your tv or inside wiring then you will automatically be charged with a service call fee.If it's outside and not caused due to tampering then and only then will it not cost.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Not true, like someone else said the switch to digital broadcasting will only affect TVs that solely receive their picture through antennae. You will still be able to have cable without a converter box and it will work fine, exactly like it does now.

I'm personally convinced a big part of the ads hyping "the switch" is to get people to pay an additional monthly fee for cable boxes before they realize they don't have to. Some people I know are even convinced that CRT television sets won't work come June 14 or whenever it is now....
What this is doing is eliminating people who do not subscribe to cable and making them customers.This is also confusing current cable customers to subscribe to higher packages with boxes so they can eventually eliminate the 'basic' packages.If all people leave the basic cable level then and only then can they eliminate it.If you stay at a level they can't force you out because you are considered grandfathered into it.What they can do is move channels to ones that can only be viewed with the box.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My children's TVs have the cable wire running directly into the back. They're small Tvs with built in DVD & CD players; they also hook their gaming systems into them when they can't use the large TV.

I have coupons for the digital converter boxes, I am not sure if they are all I will need when the conversion is completed, or if I will have to lease boxes from the greedy pigs at Cable, too.
You can probably do either but those coupons were meant for the people who DO NOT currently have cable in the house and only use antenna and rabbit ears.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:12 PM

405 posts, read 1,163,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
#1-bring another tv into the bad room and switch cable to that tv to make sure the tv is not the issue.
#2-if same problem occurs on 2nd tv make sure the interference isn't happening in any other rooms.If it is you either have a bad splitter or maybe a bad wire feeding that splitter.Lower grade wiring like RG59 will be seen especially on channels 2,4,5,7,9 which were originally 'air' channels which will now be digital but also around 17,18,19.

The reason not to call cable first is that if it's your tv or inside wiring then you will automatically be charged with a service call fee.If it's outside and not caused due to tampering then and only then will it not cost.
Good points..I wasn't even thinking about the service charge. I've fixed a couple issues in the house myself by replacing splitters and upgrading wiring. Eventually had them replace the line from the pole to the house and haven't had a problem since. So I've pretty much done what you've suggested and then I go and recommend calling cable

Old 03-06-2009, 02:19 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:

I will say that Cablevision is pretty upfront about this. They make it very clear to you on the phone that if it's a problem on your end, you have to pay.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I will say that Cablevision is pretty upfront about this. They make it very clear to you on the phone that if it's a problem on your end, you have to pay.
This is after many years of informing customers after repairs that they will be billed for it.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
This is after many years of informing customers after repairs that they will be billed for it.
so did you work for Cablevision? Any funny/horror stories you can share about the company?

Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Good points..I wasn't even thinking about the service charge. I've fixed a couple issues in the house myself by replacing splitters and upgrading wiring. Eventually had them replace the line from the pole to the house and haven't had a problem since. So I've pretty much done what you've suggested and then I go and recommend calling cable
Also try moving the tv with bad reception to another room to see if it's isolated to the room or the tv.Feel free to direct message me if the problem is still occuring.If you find out what the problem is let me know.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:28 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

Im afraid its true. havent you noticed your channels slowly disappearing from your "basic cable" service? (tvs's without a cable box and only with a cable wire.) they are slowly taking the channels off until you eventually only have 2-13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island