Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:47 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Demonizing people because they are rich, has, AGAIN, made a popular sport, and BOOGEY MAN, for everything from our general economic woes, and acne.

But is it a REAL representation of The Problem ?

Or is it a canard, a "distraction", exploited by those, who wish you to be Dependent Upon Them ?

Think about it.
Oh please. The "rich" got us into this mess, fostering and developing an unsustainable and fraudulent economic movement which they let spiral out of control. All who contributed to it should be not only demonized but prosecuted and imprisoned.

In the context of a regressive tax imposed on an essential item, no, it's not a distraction. Heating oil is an essential purchase and taxing it further only hurts the poor and middle class that are already struggling to make ends meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:10 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Oh please. The "rich" got us into this mess, fostering and developing an unsustainable and fraudulent economic movement which they let spiral out of control. All who contributed to it should be not only demonized but prosecuted and imprisoned.

In the context of a regressive tax imposed on an essential item, no, it's not a distraction. Heating oil is an essential purchase and taxing it further only hurts the poor and middle class that are already struggling to make ends meet.

PLEASE don't be naive enough to be "taken in" by the demogoguery of weasle-like Politician's, who exploit ignorant predjudices, to avoid the responsibility of doing their JOB FOR US.

If there IS any blame, it is US...THEY ARE OUR SERVANTS !

Old 03-08-2009, 05:55 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Quote:
PLEASE don't be naive enough to be "taken in" by the demogoguery of weasle-like Politician's, who exploit ignorant predjudices, to avoid the responsibility of doing their JOB FOR US.

If there IS any blame, it is US...THEY ARE OUR SERVANTS !
Respectfully, what the hell are you talking about? I blame those in the financial and real estate industries for this mess, because they are the ones responsible, not because a politician stirred me up against phantom menaces. The rich are too commonly blamed for many things but in this case it's actually deserved!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:32 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
The current situation is the result of a bunch of people who already have money looking to get filthy rich, not fearing the long term consequences. Period. No on was forced to give anyone a loan, sell it 30 times, and create bogus investments vehicles off of it, generating a commission each time. No one was forced to give 2 billion in bonuses to their management when their company was just about to go under and was bought by B of A with 20 billion in taxpayer money. That's called a DIRECT TRANSFER OF WEALTH into the pockets of the rich and people should be breaking down doors because of it.

As for the fuel tax, it's completely regressive and hurts people who are already hurting.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:39 AM

Taxing Times
The economy is not a zero-sum game where someone gains what others lose.

By Thomas Sowell

http://article.nationalreview.com/pr...mZmMjI5ZGZiZTg=

Old 03-09-2009, 06:48 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,441 times
Quote:

If I qualifed for this, I'd be homeless and destitude. The income requirements are so low. Who is getting this benefit (unless they are underreporting their income). I'm wondering who on Long Island is managing to maintain a household on less than $2000 a month

Old 03-09-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
If I qualifed for this, I'd be homeless and destitude. The income requirements are so low. Who is getting this benefit (unless they are underreporting their income). I'm wondering who on Long Island is managing to maintain a household on less than $2000 a month

Here's a clue !

It's somewhere, hidden, in HERE, I think !

Office of Community Services - Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP) Program (http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ocs/liheap/guidance/index.html#ec - broken link)

Old 03-09-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post

To make you feel EVEN BETTER, about this, there are "schools", where people are educated, "how to qualify and get benefits such as this !

Old 12-31-2009, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 6,785 times
Bull****! Paying 15K taxes on my house in Centereach....12 years ago it was $6200....we already have a 2.5% tax on fuel oil, and the county says they still cant make ends meet....Try to find a snow plow when it snows.....Brookhaven and the crooks running it suck.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:47 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelydn View Post
Bull****! Paying 15K taxes on my house in Centereach....12 years ago it was $6200....we already have a 2.5% tax on fuel oil, and the county says they still cant make ends meet....Try to find a snow plow when it snows.....Brookhaven and the crooks running it suck.
I don't know why you had to pull up this post from 9 months ago, and this was for Nassau, not Suffolk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island