Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 07:08 PM

108 posts, read 356,787 times

Advertisements

We keep seeing so many homes go up for sale on Hendrickson Avenue in Lynbrook in the past year, real cheap too (under $300K).

Does anyone have any idea why there are so many houses on that particular block for sale & so cheap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 08:51 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,570,849 times
May be a map of the Village of Lynbrook and immediately surrounding areas could be of some help:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fb/Lynbrook-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Old 03-08-2009, 09:44 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,916,750 times
all of the homes in Westwood are selling for approx 100k less than they did in 2005-2006. Hendrickson is a really busy cut through (double yellow line), gas stations at one end, another in the middle & an industrial area at the other end. No surprise to me that the houses are priced they way they are. I think if they drop about another 20% they'll be even better.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:40 PM

517 posts, read 2,479,332 times
I bought a house one block off Hendrickson. I'm happy with it. My block is quiet, my neighbors are great. I did look at a couple of houses on Hendrickson before we bought ours. We didn't particularly like them but it wasn't because of the neighborhood. I guess some people are put off by a mixed use area. There's a very quiet business behind me that does environmental testing. They basically just have their offices behind us, all the testing is done off-site.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:44 PM

108 posts, read 356,787 times
makes sense about the cut through street. i didn't think of that. and it is a nice quiet area. thanks guys!

i drove through there today to see for myself and it seemed quiet & nice actually. and then i saw what looked like an electric field not too far. it looked odd and scary.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:52 PM

517 posts, read 2,479,332 times
Its an electric substation. Some people are leery of those things. I'm not worried. It would bother me if I could see it from my windows because its not pretty, but I don't think that its any real health concern. I did do some research on it.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,193,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette-T View Post
We keep seeing so many homes go up for sale on Hendrickson Avenue in Lynbrook in the past year, real cheap too (under $300K).

Does anyone have any idea why there are so many houses on that particular block for sale & so cheap?
First of all, it's a major road and many people don't want to live on a major road.

If some of them are in Lynbrook 20 School District, then I would say the market is dropping.

More likely most are in the Malverne 12 School District, in which case, most parents who can afford it will send their kids to private schools (in addition to paying high property taxes to support Malverne 12). That has to affect the property values negatively. Here is where Malverne stands (10th from the bottom) in comparison to the other Nassau school districts:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/7635894-post8.html

It's sad to have to pay high property taxes and get a low performing school district in return. The property values reflect this.

PS: If you are talking about 24 and 26 Hendrickson Avenue, that is actually not a whole house for sale, but each address represents 1/2 of the same ancient house. Totally not worth it, especially considering the school district, and the 2 halves have been for sale for ages and ages and were once each in the $300s! They better take these down to the $100s ... low $100s if they think they will ever sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island