U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 02:24 PM

520 posts, read 1,381,123 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to move in to a new house and we want to repaint and refinish all of the wood floors. When asking people which to do first we get almost a 50/50 split in answers. What would you do first?

If we paint first we may have the problem of sawdust all over the fresh painted walls and the floor guys scraping the paint with their sanding machines.

If we refinish the floors first we have the problem of getting paint on the newly finished floors.

I can see both angles but I am not sure which is the best one.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 02:29 PM

44 posts, read 221,202 times
We are doing the same to the house we are moving into. Everyone is advising us to do the floors first and cover them up for painting. Not sure what we are going to do yet.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:30 PM

9,582 posts, read 11,162,807 times
Do the floors first.
As far as paint getting on the floors, that is why God invented the drop cloth

Seriously though, with the floor sanding and refinishing you stand a greater chance of damage to your freshly painted walls, and especially the base trim.
Even if you do get paint on the new floors, if it is latex, just wipe it up right away.
Latex is easy to clean up when fresh. If you miss a drip or 2, you can easily pick it off with your fingernail.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:53 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,950,296 times
floors first! if you use a latex paint it's pretty easy to get it off if you spill any or it leaks through the tape.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:08 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,003,689 times
Yep. That's what I just did. Floors first. I had thought it would be the opposite, but that's what the workmen said.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-08-2009, 05:02 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,897,895 times
I've always done the floors last and never had a problem with damaged base mouldings. The few-and-far-between scuff marks were easily touched up with a little paint.

On the PITA scale, IMO getting every last bit of sawdust coating off every wall and moulding surface in order for it to be properly primed and painted is far worse than touching up base mouldings after the floors are done.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Paint first, floors last. One sloppy painter on a newly finished floor and you have problems. (Imagine they spill a solvent r an oil based paint!) One clumsy painter on a newly finished floor and you have to live with it -- scratches from a not-so-clean drop, dinged floor if they plop down cans, drop things, gouges from dragged ladders.

The floor finisher has to vacuum the dust from sanding BEFORE they can apply the finish so they don't foul the floor finishing.

We have a home improvement business. It has always been paint first.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:34 AM

146 posts, read 752,664 times
Floors first. Hands down.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:59 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,578,399 times
I would do the floors first. it takes time to finish the floors so youll be stuck not using the floors for a few days. if you have time, I would do the floors first. painting is the easy part.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:26 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,897,895 times
Has anyone had experience with the new chemical screening process? My nephew probably won't be able to afford getting all the oak floors in his house refinished down to bare wood but since they are apparantly just lightly worn he should be fine with just a screen and recoat. While researching the process I came across numerous references to the chemical screening (Bona Kemi is one of two manufacturers of it) which is even better than the manual method, supposedly, because there is ZERO dust!

Has anyone had floors either manually or chemically screened and if so, how much did it cost per square foot? How did the chemical method work, if you used it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island