Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,782 times

Advertisements

My German Shepar was hit about two hours ago by a guy. My husband and I were standing outside when he took off after another dog, and the man hit him going about 40-45 in a 30. He didn't even give the break a slight tap and kept speeding right a long. I am thankful it was not our 5 yr old son (whom we have to tell in the morning) I am going to our Public works department in the morning to ask for a lower speed limit and "rumble strips". These people don't think about anyone else. I wonder if they would have stoped had it been a child.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,344 times
Wow LIMA, that was......coherent. FYI: 5 year olds will just run into the street, along with toddlers, and kids chasing a ball and just not thinking. It happens. At least conditions in the neighborhood can be made safer if such a thing occurs. I've been battling with the town to do something about our street that is used as a cut-through to avoid a light. Sorry, but 50mph through a stop sign down a residential street is just totally unacceptable under any circumstance.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:37 AM

131 posts, read 300,136 times
Some of you guys have to realize that 30mph is UNCOMFORTABLY slow for some roads that are slated as residential (when many are actually a major roadway). Stony Brook road comes to mind. Many people who live on that road think it is residential and back in the early 80's, had the speed limit reduced to 30MPH making the road very painful to drive down. Big mistake. If anyone's kids play in the middle of that street, then those kids belong in special ed.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:09 AM

LOL! True, but we don't live on Stony Brook Road.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
Some of you guys have to realize that 30mph is UNCOMFORTABLY slow for some roads that are slated as residential (when many are actually a major roadway). Stony Brook road comes to mind. Many people who live on that road think it is residential and back in the early 80's, had the speed limit reduced to 30MPH making the road very painful to drive down. Big mistake. If anyone's kids play in the middle of that street, then those kids belong in special ed.
I'm sorry the speed limit makes you uncomfortable. What speed on a street makes you feel all nice and comfy? Is 50mph good for you? Would that allow you to get down to the red light fast enough?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 AM

Even if the genius idea of speed bumps were created, many people don't realize that they do not slow down many trucks. They go over them the way the average car goes over an ant hill.

As for stop signs, using Stony Brook as an example again - Hallock road is chock full of stop signs (about 12 of them for a 1 mile stretch). If I stop at even half of them, that would be a personal record. So, stop signs are not the answer either. Most people know to slow down when kids are playing so, let common sense prevail here. Leave the traffic snarling ways of the DOT out of it which are ineffective anyhow.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I'm sorry the speed limit makes you uncomfortable. What speed on a street makes you feel all nice and comfy? Is 50mph good for you? Would that allow you to get down to the red light fast enough?
Are you even familiar with this particular road? It is a major roadway that is straight for about three miles with only two lights and obviously designed for travel up to 55MPH. The DOT lowered this limit for a vocal minority and it has come to the point where people going at the limit create a parade and are regularly passed in the shoulder.....good move DOT.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:49 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,441 times
Why don't you put the roads name and area...or this thread is useless...

Anyone who has a 5 year old anywhere out of site and far enough from you they can beat you to the street......................

You are a retard... Plain and simple... None of my kids could ever get to the street before me... Not even my dogs can...

This bs with EVERYONE else has to conform so some lazy retard can take less interest in there kids or pets is BS....

Old 10-27-2010, 12:47 PM

Sorry, but I was referring to something I saw with a neighbor's child. The toddler just launched down the driveway before the father could even get to his feet to stop him. It happened real fast, and the child made it into the middle of the street. Fortunately, no one got hurt, but it was scary to watch and I don't find fault in the parents since it was so fast. Like I said, these things happen and removing a danger point to avoid a potential tragedy is a move in the right direction. I've also seen near-miss car accidents because of the problem on our street.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:59 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,619 times
use a design to warn people reduce the speed limit from 30 to 20mph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island