U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2009, 10:21 AM

24 posts, read 122,153 times

Advertisements

My street is in the middle of a quite residential neighborhood, but since its a long straight street, I see people speeding sometimes. This is especially true of some taxi-cabs. How do I make a request for the town to put in speed-bump or one of those automatic signs which display your speed.

Is there a way of reducing the speed limit from 30 to 20mph?

Old 03-10-2009, 11:10 AM

10,642 posts, read 6,625,152 times
I sympathise with you rkk12.

Speeding in the residential streets of Britain is a big issue and many councils have introduced speed humps or dropped the limit to 20.

Just an observation- there is starting yo get an anti speed bump movement over here for a number of reasons, one being that the idiots who do speed then speed up more between the humps.

Others are that it delays emergency vehicles and as for ambulances, it's not great for an injured patient in the vehicle.

Some humps are so poorly designed so as to impact on vehicle's suspension and tyres- sorry tires!

Just food for thought, but good luck in achieving your objective.

By the way, if all else fails try this ingenious German product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ZwbDj7sQM

Old 03-10-2009, 01:17 PM

8 posts, read 37,178 times
You could always do what my dad did when I was growing up and toss a 2x4 in the road as the offender nears. Then again that was the early 70's, nowdays the speeder will call the cops and you go to jail. I do know of residents in West Islip that installed there own. They all chipped in and paid a paver to install a couple bumps. Good luck

Old 03-10-2009, 01:26 PM

24 posts, read 122,153 times
Default Can the community do it on their own?

I thought speed bumps and speed limits are set up by NY State Department of Transportation. Can a community do it on its own? Is it legal?

Jezer.. that video was funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy718 View Post
You could always do what my dad did when I was growing up and toss a 2x4 in the road as the offender nears. Then again that was the early 70's, nowdays the speeder will call the cops and you go to jail. I do know of residents in West Islip that installed there own. They all chipped in and paid a paver to install a couple bumps. Good luck

Old 03-10-2009, 01:51 PM

7,738 posts, read 10,854,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I sympathise with you rkk12.

By the way, if all else fails try this ingenious German product:

YouTube - Speed bump
Love that video!! (I even understood what he was saying...)

Old 03-10-2009, 04:31 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,976,657 times
A large plastic garbage can works very well. You don't actually have to hit the car with it, just roll it out when they get within range. You can't get arrested for that, it was an accident right? you were simply bringing your can in and lost your grip and it rolled out into the street right? right. Heh heh.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:40 PM

13,900 posts, read 16,518,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkk12 View Post
My street is in the middle of a quite residential neighborhood, but since its a long straight street, I see people speeding sometimes. This is especially true of some taxi-cabs. How do I make a request for the town to put in speed-bump or one of those automatic signs which display your speed.

Is there a way of reducing the speed limit from 30 to 20mph?
If speeding is an issue and you're on a long straight away, contact your local police precinct and request a local patrol with radar gun. Give them the times of day when the speeding is worst, and whether there are any days of the week when it is worse than others.

Contact your town and file a complaint with the highway department to initiate an investigation into traffic volume and the need for additional stop signs or traffic control.

Take note of the taxi cabs -- company names, car # (if marked) and contact the cab company and note them in your complaint to the town and PD as well.

Make lots of noise with your local town representative.

When I lived in Rocky Point I was on a straightaway like you are. I did everything I listed above, presented it to my local councilman and had stop signs on my corner within a few days. It helped to slow traffic down.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,450,892 times
Jezer, I lived in the UK and had 2 councils who LOVED "traffic calming schemes". Everyone simply drove over the speed bumps, often at high speed. (This was in London--Barnet and Camden councils. Camden was particularly notorious for its speed bumps, some of which violated the law on height.) IMO, overdoing it on speed bumps doesn't work. I would speak to the town.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:13 PM

435 posts, read 718,542 times
I don't know if this is possible in NY but I used to "lend" my driveway when I was in Mass for the local police to sit and catch speeders. The speed limit on my street was 30. I used to sit in my living room on nicer days and could hear the cops telling the people how fast they were going.. 40, 50, 60 and up... What was worse is that we were technically a rural route so the neighborhood mailboxes were across the street they were patrolling. I can't tell you how many times I almost got clipped by someone flying down the hill. The constant cruiser in my driveway helped for a long time and the town made a pretty penny.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:50 AM

10,642 posts, read 6,625,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Jezer, I lived in the UK and had 2 councils who LOVED "traffic calming schemes". Everyone simply drove over the speed bumps, often at high speed. (This was in London--Barnet and Camden councils. Camden was particularly notorious for its speed bumps, some of which violated the law on height.) IMO, overdoing it on speed bumps doesn't work. I would speak to the town.
I agree- it's a way of punishing everyone for the faults of the mindless.

All traffic calming would be redundant if we all drove how we'd like others to drive.

Get rid of all safety measures and install a poison tipped spike on the wheel boss stopping just in front of the driver's sternum and you get the smoothest safest driviers overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island