Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You need to be the general contractor. You hire the builder to put up the house, the plumber, the electrician, etc...
You can save a boatload of money doing it this way as opposed to hiring a company to do the entire job. It's more work and headache on your end, but totally worth it in the long run.

to be the GC you need to carry liabilty & workers comp....those policies can cost upwards of 25k just for building the one house if you're not an established GC with a legit business. The person that pulls the permit needs insurance.

$125 a sq ft is a low end, reasonable amount. If you're expecting to have $10 sq ft tile & exotic granite & other high end finishes your cost will be much higher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 AM

335 posts, read 935,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You need to be the general contractor. You hire the builder to put up the house, the plumber, the electrician, etc...
You can save a boatload of money doing it this way as opposed to hiring a company to do the entire job. It's more work and headache on your end, but totally worth it in the long run.
So...how much per/SF do you think it would cost in Nassau to do it this way?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:06 AM

151 posts, read 534,869 times
200K to 250k is more realistic, depending on finishes. As an example my father built a 2 family home in Maspeth Queens in 2006 for 295K. The architect alone will run you close to 15K.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmv138 View Post
sorry to thread jack but how much will it cost to add a second floor to a ranch. rough pricing of course.
75K to 100K

Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 AM

61 posts, read 210,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanner View Post
i ask this question because i see new home in PA for between 150k to 250k, really nice house around 2000sf

when i ask a builder to build on land that i already own, they quote me between 300k to 400k.

is the cost of building material and labor that much of a different between Long island and PA?

im not asking builder to work for free, but this its a big differents,

am i getting taken, or do i have more room to negotiate a better price?

what are the true cost of building a 2000sf High Ranch?
what are normal builder profit margin?

There is a good website that you can use to estimate the cost for a new construct.

building-cost.net

Based on 2,000 sqft for Long Island, you are looking at least $300k. However, I suggest you negotiate with a reputable builder than trying GC you self. Just imagine the time/money you will lose by trying to negotiate with each plumber, electrician, etc…

Also, watch out for low ball quotes by builder. It is common for them to increase the construction cost half way through. (Usually, after putting in the foundation) Cash reserve of 25% above the initial quote should be sufficient.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:26 AM

40 posts, read 267,744 times
25K just for the insurance?

is it that dangerous to build a house in long island compare to PA or NC

do they have insurance in PA when they build, if so how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
to be the GC you need to carry liabilty & workers comp....those policies can cost upwards of 25k just for building the one house if you're not an established GC with a legit business. The person that pulls the permit needs insurance.

$125 a sq ft is a low end, reasonable amount. If you're expecting to have $10 sq ft tile & exotic granite & other high end finishes your cost will be much higher

Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:

the quotes you're seeing for new construction are likely from a builder who builds many homes....thus he's already paid his insurance costs and doesn't have to take about a 25k policy every time he builds a home.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times
Quote:

In NY we have something called "New York State Insurance Fund", its the only place small contractors or private people looking for a comp policy can go, they literally charge whatever they want because they can.
They are in Melville, call & get a quote & then come back here & tell me what you think.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:07 PM

20,045 posts, read 20,844,919 times
My father just built a house a few years ago for around 75K.
He was the GC. Sorta. He hired a custom home builder to build the actual house and side it, he picked out the home style from plans the developer already had.
He then hired someone to do sheetrock/spackle, a plumber, an electrician, a painter etc...he bought all his own appliances and got good deals by shopping around.
All the people he contracted were licensed and insured and signed off where ever necessary for permits and co's etc...

It was a nicely designed home. 3 bed 2 bath, full basement, open floor plan downstairs with a master suite and bath upstairs that overlooked the rest of the house, and slider off the master with a small deck.
Nothing fancy though. No granite or marble or any of that stuff.
Hardwood floors throughout the entire house aside from the baths, they were the only rooms with tile. It was a very nice home.

75K built the house to move in condition. This didn't include landscaping or any extra bells and whistles obviously. He chipped away at that stuff little by little.
A few months later he added a detatched garage for 5K and a fireplace. I don't remember what the fireplace cost.

Total cost with land was around 250K for the land and the house. He had owned the property for a little while.
He sold it for 675K! It wasn't planned though, my mom got sick of the place and wanted to get rid of it, but it was a pleasant surprise when he found out what it was worth when he put it on the market. He nearly **** himself.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
What is a few years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island