Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:39 PM

706 posts, read 3,753,553 times

Advertisements

Story Height: 2
Exterior wall code: Asbestos
Grade: C (1)
Condition, design, utility: average

Does this mean the home contains asbestos?

I thought Asbestos was illegal.

I found this when I googled asbestos.

Health Concerns:

Asbestos tends to break down into a dust of microscopic size fibers. Because of their size and shape, these tiny fibers remain suspended in the air for long periods of time and can easily penetrate body tissues after being inhaled or ingested. Because of their durability, these fibers can remain in the body for many years and thereby become the cause of asbestos related diseases.

Symptoms of these diseases generally do not appear for 10 to 30 years after the exposure. Therefore, long before its effects are detectable, asbestos related injury to the body may have already occurred. There is no safe level of exposure known, therefore exposure to friable asbestos should be avoided.

Exterior Surfaces:

Exterior walls and closed decks were sometimes built with a fire retardant sheeting in the form of asbestos paper. If it looks like a thick gray cardboard, it may contain asbestos. If left undisturbed and in good condition, the undersheeting is considered safe. However, if you are taking out a wall for expansion and remodeling, or if you are replacing siding and shingles, you could release many fibers in the process of drilling, sawing, and removing. Hire professionals for removing this paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 12:00 AM

527 posts, read 921,056 times
It sounds as though you have asbestos shingles. As long as they aren't cracking, no one is breaking them, you are alright. If one needs to be replaced, there is a shingle made which replicates the style but is asbestos free.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:23 AM

706 posts, read 3,753,553 times
Oh, it's not my house.

It's a home I was looking at online.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, when I hear "shingles" I think roof.

I thought "exterior wall code" might mean the walls outside of or around the house.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:36 AM

19,583 posts, read 20,395,815 times
Yes, it means it's sided with asbestos shingles.
Most people just go right over that stuff with vinyl siding etc...

Old 03-13-2009, 09:07 AM

32,817 posts, read 19,349,571 times
its a shingle (usually brick 'style') thats made of asphault,asbestos(the fireproofing), and sugarcane fibers.

was very popular in the 30/40/50's

very safe, and also a very good insulation. If you are looking at one, dont remove the shingle use them as an insulation and go ahead and put vinyl over it

Old 03-13-2009, 09:31 AM

151 posts, read 533,264 times
We bought a home a few years back and it had vinyl siding right over the asbestos shingles. Perfectly safe, it becomes a problem if you ever decide to demolish the house. The shingles will need to be removed by hand and treated as hazardous waste.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
Oh, it's not my house.

It's a home I was looking at online.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, when I hear "shingles" I think roof.

I thought "exterior wall code" might mean the walls outside of or around the house.
Sorry I wasn't clear. Siding shingles is what I was writing about. Other posters have taken the reply a step further, so I won't rehash

Old 03-13-2009, 01:00 PM

852 posts, read 2,010,991 times
Default I have them under my siding: how to remove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
It sounds as though you have asbestos shingles. As long as they aren't cracking, no one is breaking them, you are alright. If one needs to be replaced, there is a shingle made which replicates the style but is asbestos free.
How does one remove them and minimize exposure and presence in surrounding soil? Is it legal to dispose in trash?

Can you Tyvek over it?

Last edited by DeadPool1998; 03-13-2009 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: Added a question

Old 03-13-2009, 01:29 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,627,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

very safe, and also a very good insulation. If you are looking at one, dont remove the shingle use them as an insulation and go ahead and put vinyl over it
Have to agree that vinyl siding over shingles is cost saving with oil bills.

Our first house had cedar shake shingles on the exterior walls - that was it. The house was a small cape and practically drank oil in the winter time - that was way before the surge in oil prices. When we moved to a two-story colonial about twice the size of our first house that had vinyl siding over asbestos shingles, our oil bill was actually less than in our first house. Proof positive that the combination helps with the bottom line.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
How does one remove them and minimize exposure and presence in surrounding soil? Is it legal to dispose in trash?

Can you Tyvek over it?
The link is from out west, but it applies for asbestos shingle removal in general.
http://www.scapca.org/documents/sidinghowtomanual.pdf (broken link)

I can't answer your Tyvek question with certainty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island