Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the East/West Line for LI?
Rt. 135 2 3.17%
Rt. 110 20 31.75%
Rt. 112 19 30.16%
Wm Floyd Parkway. 22 34.92%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:13 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
stats? link? anything? Even if it's true, it doesn't mean they're not heading back to civilization for the finer things in life...lol.

wow, you can't even get a decent burger in flyover country? I didn't realize things were that bad...

No you can't. There's no central LI equivalent of the Coliseum and the Jones Beach Theater (unless you get all excited for the has-beens that play Bald Hill). Plenty of people from your neck of the woods come west to those destinations. Nobody is doing the reverse. As for shopping, is there an equivalent to Roosevelt Field, Whitman Mall, or Americana out by you? And I'm pretty sure zagats will come down on my side if we were to compare resaturants.

I've only been a resident of Nassau for 4 years...and even if I'd spent my whole life here, it still wouldn't change the facts in your favor.

Bottom line: you seem very happy in your little slice of heaven out in central LI...and good for you. If it gives you everything you want, you should be happy. But facts are facts. There are reasons for residents of central LI to come west (or east) for certain things. For the most part, the opposite just isn't true.
Bear in mind I am a former Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn and Nassau County resident who has worked in the city as well as Suffolk County. I really do not have a dog in this right...but for fun:

Reasons to head east: Tanger outlets, Smithhaven is no worse and in many cases better than Roosevelt Field. LI Ducks, Fire Island, and as for restaurants, I know of nobody living in central/eastern LI that feels they need to drive into Nassau county to find a good restaurant..seriously. On Long Island there are good restaurants everywhere. From Northport to Port Jeff there are about 100 places as good as anywhere on the island. Where have you heard that somebody living in say Holbrook has said, "man, I need get into Nassau County to find a decent restaurant..??".

So you have Jones Beach theatre...great venue, but I would count the Nassau Colliseum, a horrible venue, against you...

Central LI is also a kick ass place to pee on the way to the Hamptons. Let's not forget that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 09:15 AM

I might also add that seeing a band led by the former backup singer of Stryper at Bald Hill is also a reason to come east...

Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I might also add that seeing a band led by the former backup singer of Stryper at Bald Hill is also a reason to come east...

Styper rocks.

: )

Actulaly I saw Blondie there last year and it was great.

When given the choice we generally go to the Garden for Concerts.
crooks

Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
stats? link? anything? Even if it's true, it doesn't mean they're not heading back to civilization for the finer things in life...lol.

wow, you can't even get a decent burger in flyover country? I didn't realize things were that bad...

No you can't. There's no central LI equivalent of the Coliseum and the Jones Beach Theater (unless you get all excited for the has-beens that play Bald Hill). Plenty of people from your neck of the woods come west to those destinations. Nobody is doing the reverse. As for shopping, is there an equivalent to Roosevelt Field, Whitman Mall, or Americana out by you? And I'm pretty sure zagats will come down on my side if we were to compare resaturants.

I've only been a resident of Nassau for 4 years...and even if I'd spent my whole life here, it still wouldn't change the facts in your favor.

Bottom line: you seem very happy in your little slice of heaven out in central LI...and good for you. If it gives you everything you want, you should be happy. But facts are facts. There are reasons for residents of central LI to come west (or east) for certain things. For the most part, the opposite just isn't true.
Points for Jones Beach: True

Dead wrong on Zagats and the Shopping : False

There is no substitute for All American Burger.

crooks

Old 03-23-2009, 02:56 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Points for Jones Beach: True

Dead wrong on Zagats and the Shopping : False
where is the upscale shopping in central LI? Are there any high end steak houses like those found on Northern Blvd?

Quote:
There is no substitute for All American Burger.
many would argue Five Guys and Fatburger are better or, at worst, equal to All American. Of course they've yet to expand into central LI...

Old 03-23-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
where is the upscale shopping in central LI? Are there any high end steak houses like those found on Northern Blvd?

many would argue Five Guys and Fatburger are better or, at worst, equal to All American. Of course they've yet to expand into central LI...
Off the top of my head Steakhouses: Tellers Chophouse in Islip (go to the website and see the inside. Former old bank. Awesome decor. And Vintage, in St. James. Paces steakhouse in Happauge and Port Jeff Village. I love Lugers, but would easily put these three, with Pace's as the third best by far against Northern Blvd row.

And again, seriously recommend going to Tellers at least once. Really different place. Tellers Restaurant | Islip | Long Island | New York

Now I'm hungry...dammit...

Old 03-23-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Reasons to head east: Tanger outlets, Smithhaven is no worse and in many cases better than Roosevelt Field.
Tanger isn't central LI (as described earlier in this thread) and Smithhaven is not on the same level as the places I mentioned. It's basically central LI's version of Sunrise/Broadway/South Shore. Pretty sure it's the only mall out there as well, unless you want to include Sun Vet.
Quote:
LI Ducks, Fire Island
You are spot on with Fire Island, but a good chunk of it lies within the Town of Islip which isn't really Central LI. The Ducks are also a legit entertainment option located (barely) in central LI...but it's a second rate option at best.

Quote:
and as for restaurants, I know of nobody living in central/eastern LI that feels they need to drive into Nassau county to find a good restaurant..seriously. On Long Island there are good restaurants everywhere. From Northport to Port Jeff there are about 100 places as good as anywhere on the island. Where have you heard that somebody living in say Holbrook has said, "man, I need get into Nassau County to find a decent restaurant..??".
not saying there aren't ANY top spots in central LI...there's just not that many of them. In most cases you need to head to the hamptons or west for a certain "quality".

Quote:
So you have Jones Beach theatre...great venue, but I would count the Nassau Colliseum, a horrible venue, against you...
everyone knows the the Masoleum is a dump...but it gets tons of national touring acts you're not getting anywhere else on LI, aside from JB.
Quote:
Central LI is also a kick ass place to pee on the way to the Hamptons. Let's not forget that.
slap!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Off the top of my head Steakhouses: Tellers Chophouse in Islip (go to the website and see the inside. Former old bank. Awesome decor. And Vintage, in St. James. Paces steakhouse in Happauge and Port Jeff Village. I love Lugers, but would easily put these three, with Pace's as the third best by far against Northern Blvd row.

And again, seriously recommend going to Tellers at least once. Really different place. Tellers Restaurant | Islip | Long Island | New York

Now I'm hungry...dammit...
I've actually been to Tellers a couple of times and I agree it would fit right in on Northern Blvd. Of course it's practically right on the imaginary dividing line between Western/Central LI but I'll give it you, lol. I've been to Pace's only once but I would NOT put it in that league, and I'll have to take your word for it on Vintage.

Slim pickings!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Tanger isn't central LI (as described earlier in this thread) and Smithhaven is not on the same level as the places I mentioned. It's basically central LI's version of Sunrise/Broadway/South Shore. Pretty sure it's the only mall out there as well, unless you want to include Sun Vet.

You are spot on with Fire Island, but a good chunk of it lies within the Town of Islip which isn't really Central LI. The Ducks are also a legit entertainment option located (barely) in central LI...but it's a second rate option at best.

not saying there aren't ANY top spots in central LI...there's just not that many of them. In most cases you need to head to the hamptons or west for a certain "quality".

everyone knows the the Masoleum is a dump...but it gets tons of national touring acts you're not getting anywhere else on LI, aside from JB.

slap!
Dont feed the troll JrP

Hes desperately tying to rationalze his taxes for a 50 year old starter ranch on 40x80.
slap!

He thinks Nassau has irresistable drawing power that no mortals can resist.
; )

He should start his own "Why Nassau is superior" thread and leave this one be.
Im surprised the mods havent spanked him for Hijacking.(and us for responding)

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-23-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 03-24-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Dont feed the troll JrP

Hes desperately tying to rationalze his taxes for a 50 year old starter ranch on 40x80.
slap!

He thinks Nassau has irresistable drawing power that no mortals can resist.
; )

He should start his own "Why Nassau is superior" thread and leave this one be.
Im surprised the mods havent spanked him for Hijacking.(and us for responding)

Crooks
predictable: when the facts aren't on his side, crooks goes back to his silly and misinformed Nassau bashing (it looks like queens because I say so!), not to mention making uneccesary and incorrect assumptions about my home.

Regardless, flyover country will likely remain "charming" and "affordable" for quite a while. As long as you don't ask for much, it has everything you need!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island