Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the East/West Line for LI?
Rt. 135 2 3.17%
Rt. 110 20 31.75%
Rt. 112 19 30.16%
Wm Floyd Parkway. 22 34.92%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 05:26 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
Ronkonkoma is not far from Manhattan. Many people in the Ronk area work in NYC. NYPD, FDNY, Wall St, etc....stop lying to yourself. Is it right next door? No. Is it far? No. It's a little bit of a trip but nothing crazy at all. If you think 1 hour on the train is long you must be 6 years old. It takes 35 minutes just to get from the Queens border to Manhattan, so considering that, Ronkonkoma is not far. It's not even 1 hour from the NYC border. It's about 55 minutes off peak via LIRR and 45 minutes on the express. And that's with 1 million stops. If Ronkonkoma was far from NYC, you would never see NYC cabs in the area, you would never see ads for MSG or the NYPD, you would never see ads for Jets or Giants games. Ronkonkoma is smack in the middle of the island, not out east. If you want to be technical, it's 50 miles from Manhattan and 67 miles from Montauk, so technically it's western LI if you count the entire geographical island as LI. How sad you have not learned geography or that 30-50 miles is not that far to live from the biggest and greatest city in the US. Ronkonkoma is not Greenport...deal with it.

What is your "too far" threshold for Living out on the Island?

I think most long islanders feel that past the Sag is boonies territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 12:02 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Ronkonkoma is not far from Manhattan. Many people in the Ronk area work in NYC. NYPD, FDNY, Wall St, etc....stop lying to yourself. Is it right next door? No. Is it far? No. It's a little bit of a trip but nothing crazy at all. If you think 1 hour on the train is long you must be 6 years old. It takes 35 minutes just to get from the Queens border to Manhattan, so considering that, Ronkonkoma is not far. It's not even 1 hour from the NYC border. It's about 55 minutes off peak via LIRR and 45 minutes on the express. And that's with 1 million stops. If Ronkonkoma was far from NYC, you would never see NYC cabs in the area, you would never see ads for MSG or the NYPD, you would never see ads for Jets or Giants games. Ronkonkoma is smack in the middle of the island, not out east. If you want to be technical, it's 50 miles from Manhattan and 67 miles from Montauk, so technically it's western LI if you count the entire geographical island as LI. How sad you have not learned geography or that 30-50 miles is not that far to live from the biggest and greatest city in the US. Ronkonkoma is not Greenport...deal with it.

Once again you're trying to convince yourself that you don't live far from Manhattan. It must really irk you a lot that you have to try and convince yourself (and a board of internet strangers) that you're not in the sticks when NYC and Nassau people think you live in the boonies.

If you want to appear the least bit credible, refrain from the nursery school name calling.

Face it -- no matter how much you try and juggle the numbers, you are living out east to many who live west of you. That is where the perception lies. Ages ago, people thought my folks moved to the end of the earth when they moved to eastern Nassau.

You started your own thread about this last year -- please don't hijack this one to promote your helpless cause.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
I'd just like to throw it out there, but since Nassau & Suffolk both have roughly the same population, you could theoretically say that the Nassau-Suffolk border divides western & eastern Long Island. (Well, I think Nassau has slightly less, so you can adjust that to say, Route 110).

Of course, Brooklyn & Queens are part of LI as well, so you could also put that border line about 3/4 of the way through Queens.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I'd just like to throw it out there, but since Nassau & Suffolk both have roughly the same population, you could theoretically say that the Nassau-Suffolk border divides western & eastern Long Island. (Well, I think Nassau has slightly less, so you can adjust that to say, Route 110).

Of course, Brooklyn & Queens are part of LI as well, so you could also put that border line about 3/4 of the way through Queens.

Nassau was a part of Queens until about 115 or so years ago. The Queens border having been at Suffolk, there is some plausibility to 110 if 'eastern LI' meant the county which was not a borough of NYC. Technically, it is the 5 eastern-most towns.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
What is your "too far" threshold for Living out on the Island?

I think most long islanders feel that past the Sag is boonies territory.
Greatest city in the us says who bloomberg?

Old 12-29-2012, 05:40 AM

149 posts, read 360,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
An hour from Manhattan? Might as well be Montauk. So, so far away.
Do you know how easily it can take around 1 hour getting around within city limits alone? In Staten Island it EASILY takes 1 hour if not 1 hour 30 minutes via ferry, subway, walking, etc. The EXPRESS bus from SI takes 1 hour to get to midtown Manhattan. It can also EASILY take around 40 minutes to get from Queens to Manhattan via the 7 train if you take it from Woodside. It takes about 40 minutes from YONKERS which is like 15 miles from Manhattan via Metro North. Living in the NYC area it will always take time to get anywhere due to traffic, and overcrowded public transportation as well as a ton of stops. Considering all that living 50 miles from the greatest city in the world, 1 hour is absolutely nothing. If you think 1 hour to travel to a major city is long then you clearly don't get out and see the world much. In DC I was on their metro which is their version of a subway and it took 40 minutes to get somewhere. Like I said, from Queens alone it takes 35 sometimes 40 minutes to get to Manhattan. The LIRR averages like 30 MPH the entire trip. I think the reason people think it's far is because the time it takes, not the distance. 50 miles in most of the country is not considered that far. If we had some kind of high speed train running along the LIE and had an express train with 3 stops going 75 MPH, you would be in Manhattan from Ronkonkoma in about 40 minutes.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 AM

What's more likely, that tons of people are absolutely nuts and in denial of how far away they are in my area working in NYC and going there all the time, or that the people in this board love to exaggerate what they call "out east"? You act like it's only me who doesn't think we are that far away. If it was really that far, then why are there so many FDNY, NYPD, Wall Street, WTC, etc. workers from my block and the surrounding towns? If it's really that far, why do I see NYC cabs every so often out here? If it's really that far, why are so many business trucks and vans bearing 917/718/212/646 area codes? If it's really that far, why have a commuter rail? Commuter rails are short distance. The LIRR is not Amtrak. If it's really that far, why can many people trace their families back to Brooklyn, Queens, etc.?

If there's anyone in denial, it's the elitists in Nassau who think they have more in common with Queens than areas like Babylon or Ronkonkoma. That is of course laughable. Nassau doesn't even start to look like Queens until you get in the Lynbrook/Hempstead/Mineola area. And even from there it takes 40 minutes to get to Manhattan! Like I said, it takes time to get anywhere. Nowhere else in the country is 50 miles (from Manhattan) considered this long voyage, let alone 30 miles (Queens border). There really needs to be a third easternmost county in LI, because once you get past the Mastic Beach area, the places like Quogue, Speonk, the Hamptons, Riverhead, Calverton, etc. have nothing in common with Sayville, Patchogue, Ronkonkoma, etc. By the way, my friend lives in North Jersey and you can clearly see the NYC skyline from his house all lit up. It takes him 50 minutes by train to get to Manhattan. 1 hour is not far.

By the way, on an interesting note did you know that George Washington went on a tour of NYC and then Long Island? By horse and buggy he was taken from Manhattan, stopped HALFWAY in Patchogue and continued to go out east. Even a 1700's figure knows what east and central means.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:55 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,664 times
The Science Olympiad regionals competions have "Eastern Long Island" and "Western Long Island". Suffolk and Nassau, respectively.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:28 PM

Washington took 5 days to cover 160 miles. He started in Manhattan, traveled through Brooklyn and continued Eastward reaching (what is now known as) Patchogue three days later. He next headed north to Setauket traversing the north shore on his way west. It was not an easy ride by horse-drawn carriage.

Looking back 222 years, Setauket, Koram (1790 spelling) and Brookhaven (now Patchogue) were referred to as Eastern LI. If you want to rewrite history in your effort to convince everyone that you aren't in the boonies, carry on Sisyphus.

Quote:
What's more likely, that tons of people are absolutely nuts and in denial of how far away they are in my area working in NYC and going there all the time, or that the people in this board love to exaggerate what they call "out east"? You act like it's only me who doesn't think we are that far away. If it was really that far, then why are there so many FDNY, NYPD, Wall Street, WTC, etc. workers from my block and the surrounding towns? If it's really that far, why do I see NYC cabs every so often out here? If it's really that far, why are so many business trucks and vans bearing 917/718/212/646 area codes? If it's really that far, why have a commuter rail? Commuter rails are short distance. The LIRR is not Amtrak. If it's really that far, why can many people trace their families back to Brooklyn, Queens, etc.?

If there's anyone in denial, it's the elitists in Nassau who think they have more in common with Queens than areas like Babylon or Ronkonkoma. That is of course laughable. Nassau doesn't even start to look like Queens until you get in the Lynbrook/Hempstead/Mineola area. And even from there it takes 40 minutes to get to Manhattan! Like I said, it takes time to get anywhere. Nowhere else in the country is 50 miles (from Manhattan) considered this long voyage, let alone 30 miles (Queens border). There really needs to be a third easternmost county in LI, because once you get past the Mastic Beach area, the places like Quogue, Speonk, the Hamptons, Riverhead, Calverton, etc. have nothing in common with Sayville, Patchogue, Ronkonkoma, etc. By the way, my friend lives in North Jersey and you can clearly see the NYC skyline from his house all lit up. It takes him 50 minutes by train to get to Manhattan. 1 hour is not far.

By the way, on an interesting note did you know that George Washington went on a tour of NYC and then Long Island? By horse and buggy he was taken from Manhattan, stopped HALFWAY in Patchogue and continued to go out east. Even a 1700's figure knows what east and central means.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Washington took 5 days to cover 160 miles. He started in Manhattan, traveled through Brooklyn and continued Eastward reaching (what is now known as) Patchogue three days later. He next headed north to Setauket traversing the north shore on his way west. It was not an easy ride by horse-drawn carriage.

Looking back 222 years, Setauket, Koram (1790 spelling) and Brookhaven (now Patchogue) were referred to as Eastern LI. If you want to rewrite history in your effort to convince everyone that you aren't in the boonies, carry on Sisyphus.
Maybe the disconnect has something to do with your definition of "boonies". If by "boonies" you mean a New York City suburb 50 miles East of Manhattan and just under 20 miles from the Nassau County line with tons of people who work in the FDNY, NYPD, and commute into the city everyday, then yes I live in the "boonies". If by "boonies" you mean an area where you can drive a mere 20 minutes west and see the NYC skyline clear as day when the sun sets behind it, then yes I live in the "boonies". I guess this makes Ossining NY, Morristown NJ, Hawthorne NJ, Staten Island NY, etc. "boonies" areas as well. All those places are either about as far miles wise from Manhattan as I am, or take just as long within about 10 minutes or so to arrive in Manhattan as it takes me. What I'm really curious about is this though: if NYC suburbs a mere 30-40 miles from the border of the biggest city in America are considered "boonies", then what does that make North Dakota? What does that make Wyoming? Maybe it's another planet?

The funny part is that you guys are proving my point without realizing. You ask, "who cares?", yet you are the ones who work so hard to deny a geographic fact that central suffolk county is actually just west of the center point of the entire island. You can lead an idiot to facts, but you can't make them think. I'll continue to drive to the Queens border in an easy 45 minutes and drive into upper Manhattan in 1 hour flat. I live halfway between NYC and the Hamptons. I can either go to the beach or go to the city whenever I want. Keep making fun of it because it takes me another 25-30 minutes to get to Manhattan via LIRR. That's about the time it takes people in PA to find a Pizzeria.

"Located between Montauk Point 67 miles (108 km) to the east and Manhattan 44 miles (71 km) to the west, MacArthur Airport serves primarily the three million residents of Nassau and Suffolk counties. In addition, the airport serves travelers from the Greater New York Metropolitan Area and around the nation who want a more convenient alternative to the congestion at JFK and LaGuardia airports – both located in Queens.[2]"

"MacArthur airport now officially an NYC airport"

"House Outside NYC Destroyed in Blast; 7 Hurt
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. (AP) "

"New York City Area Beaches
It's easy to make your own beach escape from New York City: Robert Moses (48 Miles from Manhattan)"

Also, 90 Town of Islip residents were killed in the 9/11 attacks. ALMOST 100! In the Town of Islip covering Sayville, Bayport, etc. You guys have a lot of explaining to do, because if I do some quick internet searches, it doesn't take an Einstein to realize that NYC is just a mere stroll down the LIE. Were all those killed from the Town of Islip stupid for commuting to the end of the earth? Or was it really not nearly as far as you guys are making it? I think I know the answer to that.

I don't know guys...maybe all those media outlets were lying? Maybe they forgot that the Ronkonkoma area is really Greenport? Seems like a lot of suggestion of being close to NYC. I demand they fire their authors! What a travesty...bunch of liars.

Last edited by LINY89; 12-30-2012 at 01:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island