Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the East/West Line for LI?
Rt. 135 2 3.17%
Rt. 110 20 31.75%
Rt. 112 19 30.16%
Wm Floyd Parkway. 22 34.92%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:29 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times

Advertisements

What is your "too far" threshold for Living out on the Island?

Second verse same as the first.

I still say the Billy F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 10:00 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Who in there right mind would call Amityville, Farmingdale and Huntington Eastern Long Island?

Western Nassaus really Eastern Queens now anyway

; )

Crooks
To my mind, the crux of the question "Where does Western Long Island end and Eastern Long Island begin?" comes down to the definitions of "URBAN vs. SUBURBAN vs. EXURBAN vs. RURAL". What Crokhaven and various others are saying, it seems, is that even what we call "Suburban" is still too "Urban-like" (i.e., dense development and living patterns) to be considered to be Eastern Long Island. To them, Eastern Long Island's nature is to be characterized as "from-exurban-to-rural" (whereas, to them Western Long Island's nature is to be characterized as "from-urban-to-suburban"). Hence, to Crooks and others of similar thinking, settings such as Amityville, Farmingdale and Huntington are too urban/suburban-like in nature. Even Port Jefferson (on the North Shore) and Patchogue/East Patchogue (on the South Shore) are a bit too urban-like by their estimations. It seems to be that once you travel eastward beyond the north-sound road which goes between Port Jefferson (on the North Shore) and East Patchogue (on the South Shore)-- which is Route 112 --that the character of the topography and geography takes on a more definitive "from-exurban-to-rural" character which is what they consider to be "Eastern Long Island".

I'm not saying they are right or wrong. I'm just saying that this "URBAN vs. SUBURBAN vs. EXURBAN vs. RURAL" distinction is what the crux or centrality of the original question is all about. So technically, the border between Western and Eastern Long Island is the actual politically-defined border between them (which is a bit greater or lesser than a mile west of Route 110, depending on exactly where along Route 110 we are measuring said distance from) but the question really breaks down not to politically-defined borders but to "urban/suburban" (Western Long Island) versus "exurban/rural" (Eastern Long Island).

YET, AS AN EXAMPLE OF AN EXCEPTION TO THE REAL OR PERCEIVED DICHOTOMY BETWEEN THE CHARACTER OF WESTERN LONG ISLAND VERSUS THE CHARACTER OF EASTERN LONG ISLAND: My parents (both deceased now) had a home for 37 years in Dix Hills and, to my inspection (though I may not have explored every single square inch of the rather large expanse which is Dix Hills), Dix Hills appears to be NEARLY ENTIRELY RURAL-LIKE in character. That is, it is virtually all forests and woodlands (interspersed with housing developments here-and-there and little else). Hardly any commercial activity within its defined borders at all (except, for example at its far fringes, such as its northern end near Jericho Turnpike . . . where they have a small Dix Hills Shopping Center with a Pathmark in it). You can drive through the vast expanses of greater Dix Hills and have NOTHING BUT FORESTS, WOODLANDS, FOLIAGE, WINDING COUNTRY ROADS, ET AL. Yet this is in Western Suffolk County close to Route 110 and environs. It appears to be like Eastern Suffolk in terms of little-to-almost no commercial or civic development and covers quite a sizable area, yet it is situated in Western Suffolk County.

Last edited by UsAll; 12-28-2010 at 11:23 PM..

Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 PM

To Crookhaven,

I just discovered, in reading over my response to your posting (after I had just posted it) that I had spelled your name as "Crokhaven" instead of its proper spelling of "Crookhaven". THIS WAS NOT AT ALL INTENTIONAL BUT MERELY A TYPO. You have my apologies if you thought I was making some kind of a slur (calling you a "crok" . . . of which the actual spelling would be "crock", as I DO know how to spell properly). MY APOLOGIES FOR THE TYPO and its seeming implication that I was making any kind of slur toward you. I most certainly wasn't and wouldn't.

Last edited by UsAll; 12-28-2010 at 11:12 PM..

Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
To Crookhaven,

I just discovered, in reading over my response to your posting (after I had just posted it) that I had spelled your name as "Crokhaven" instead of its proper spelling of "Crookhaven". THIS WAS NOT AT ALL INTENTIONAL BUT MERELY AN TYPO. You have my apologies if you thought I was making some kind of a slur (calling you a "crok" . . . of which the actual spelling would be "crock", as I DO know how to spell properly). MY APOLOGIES FOR THE TYPO and its seeming implication that I was making any kind of slur toward you. I most certainly wasn't and wouldn't.
LOLOLOLOL
Croks

Old 12-28-2010, 10:38 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
To Crookhaven,

I just discovered, in reading over my response to your posting (after I had just posted it) that I had spelled your name as "Crokhaven" instead of its proper spelling of "Crookhaven". THIS WAS NOT AT ALL INTENTIONAL BUT MERELY AN TYPO. You have my apologies if you thought I was making some kind of a slur (calling you a "crok" . . . of which the actual spelling would be "crock", as I DO know how to spell properly). MY APOLOGIES FOR THE TYPO and its seeming implication that I was making any kind of slur toward you. I most certainly wasn't and wouldn't.
Freudian slip.....

j/k Croks..err Crooks. BTW UsAll, you can edit your posts. And the N/S border runs at a ~10° NW angle, at the south it is within blocks of 110, as you move north the border gaps to 1+ miles.

a better visual poll. What is your "too far" threshold for Living out on the Island?

--
I can't vote on this poll, but my answer could be found in this thread>
I went to Brentwood to work yesterday and I saw roosters/chickens roaming on someone's front lawn

Old 12-28-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Freudian slip.....

j/k Croks..err Crooks. BTW UsAll, you can edit your posts.

a better visual poll. What is your "too far" threshold for Living out on the Island?
Youre already linked in pal, took care of it yesterday ^^^^

Old 12-28-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pequaman
Freudian slip.....

j/k Croks..err Crooks. BTW UsAll, you can edit your posts.

To Pequaman:

I see an "EDIT" button available on my 2 posts here to Crookhaven. Yet there are other posts I've made at previous times elsewhere in this City-Data.com forum that I'd like to go back to and correct typos in . . . YET I DON'T SEE ANY "EDIT" BUTTON AVAILABLE ON THOSE POSTS OF MINE. How exactly do I get to be able to edit ANY AND ALL present or former posts of mine (to correct typos, et al)? That is, to have an available "Edit" button on ANY post that I have made or will make (now & in the future)?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:03 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
I see an "EDIT" button available on my 2 posts here to Crookhaven. Yet there are other posts I've made at previous times elsewhere in this City-Data.com forum that I'd like to go back to and correct typos in . . . YET I DON'T SEE ANY "EDIT" BUTTON AVAILABLE ON THOSE POSTS OF MINE. How exactly do I get to be able to edit ANY AND ALL present or former posts of mine (to correct typos, et al)? That is, to have an available "Edit" button on ANY post that I have made or will make (now & in the future)?

The "edit" function seems to be only available for about 30 minutes +/- after you post the comment.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote from Walter Greenspan: "The 'edit' function seems to be only available for about 30 minutes +/- after you post the comment."

Thank you for your answer, Walter Greenspan. I had already sent an email to the CITY-DATA.COM webmaster to ask about this but got no response yet. After I post, I always re-read my posts and notice typos or other apparent errors but didn't take note of any existing EDIT button (until Pequaman mentioned it) or may have seen it in passing but didn't connect that this meant I could edit my posts "after the fact".

Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
What is your "too far" threshold for Living out on the Island?

Second verse same as the first.

I still say the Billy F.
LOL! now this is what I call a true hijacking. What happened you didn't like the party at Pequaman's thread so you sent everyone over to yours? Classic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island