U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:54 AM

262 posts, read 509,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Tuesday View Post
Thank you so much for all of your feedback. It's been very helpful. Roslyn Heights would be a fantastic commute for my husband. South Merrick is another interesting idea. Plainview would be great, if we could find something in our price range. What are your thoughts on Hewlett, Centerport, Greenlawn, and Elwood?
Dear Happy-
I quick look at the realtor version of MLS and I see:
Roslyn Height 3 properties under 400,000
Hewlett 7 properties (a few are short sales and 1 is in really poor condition)
Centerport 1 2-bedroom bungalow
Greenlawn 6 properties (2 are handyman/short sales)
Elwood 0 properties when searching Elwood as a town/hamlet (for Walter's sake)
As for Plainview, I know it well. 12 properties available and I am familiar with them all. Great area....

Old 03-16-2009, 07:36 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,403,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFinder15 View Post
Elwood 0 properties when searching Elwood as a town/hamlet (for Walter's sake) ...

That is not surprising: there is no "Elwood, NY" ZIP Code postal zone and hence there are no places with an "Elwood, NY" mailing address.

Places in the Hamlet of Elwood have a "Huntington, NY 11743", "Greenlawn, NY 11740" "East Northport, NY 11731", "Commack, NY 11725" and "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:28 PM

7,632 posts, read 10,367,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
That is not surprising: there is no "Elwood, NY" ZIP Code postal zone and hence there are no places with an "Elwood, NY" mailing address.

Places in the Hamlet of Elwood have a "Huntington, NY 11743", "Greenlawn, NY 11740" "East Northport, NY 11731", "Commack, NY 11725" and "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address.
HomeFinder 15/Ann is not in the Town of Huntington area, and apparently doesn't know that...
East Northport has a number of homes in that price range

Regardless, Plainview is a nice area :-)

Old 03-18-2009, 12:38 PM

326 posts, read 247,496 times
I am sorry to offend anyone and certainly I am not trying to blunder anything here. But why would any person look for a neighborhood that is Jewish, Christian, Muslim, or Hindu etc. "enough"? Are there also people who are looking for areas that are "White" enough?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:41 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,992,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
I am sorry to offend anyone and certainly I am not trying to blunder anything here. But why would any person look for a neighborhood that is Jewish, Christian, Muslim, or Hindu etc. "enough"? Are there also people who are looking for areas that are "White" enough?

Yes, there are but they could never say that out loud. They'd be strung up for stating what they want. All the while it's ok for everyone else.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:05 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,393,700 times
If you are even nominally observant, there are particular facilities and services which are not available unless there is a sufficiently large population of members of your faith. That's aside from the phenomenon of being the only kid in school who is/does X, which can be very uncomfortable.

It simply isn't necessary, on LI, to ask about whether an area is "white enough" (few places do not have a substantial white population) but you've really not been reading the LI board much if you think race isn't a hot topic and people don't say "Don't move to Here; it's all black/Hispanic".

Old 03-18-2009, 01:27 PM

262 posts, read 509,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
HomeFinder 15/Ann is not in the Town of Huntington area, and apparently doesn't know that...
East Northport has a number of homes in that price range

Regardless, Plainview is a nice area :-)
Elke (and Walter)-
I do know, in fact, that Elwood does not have actual home addresses. My response was for the OP, to tell her searching by that name will get a person nowhere, I guess I did not word it clearly.
Thanks

Old 03-18-2009, 01:36 PM

326 posts, read 247,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
If you are even nominally observant, there are particular facilities and services which are not available unless there is a sufficiently large population of members of your faith. That's aside from the phenomenon of being the only kid in school who is/does X, which can be very uncomfortable.

It simply isn't necessary, on LI, to ask about whether an area is "white enough" (few places do not have a substantial white population) but you've really not been reading the LI board much if you think race isn't a hot topic and people don't say "Don't move to Here; it's all black/Hispanic".
I can understand that people may ask areas with a synagogue, a church, or a mosque for that matter. One would want to be at close to those for practical reasons.

Still it is kind of funny for me to see someone claiming to be "liberal" and finding the previous neighborhood "too working class" and looking for a place "Jewish enough". And many people to go along with it for that matter.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:41 PM

240 posts, read 626,863 times
I have to agree, but isn't that the case for most liberals? As long as I don't see it in my neighborhood, live and let live. Whoops, opened up a political kettle of worms. How many white bleeding hearts do you see living in Wyandanch? However, people do tend to want to feel a sense of community with others who share their customs; If I were a practicing Jew, I wouldn't want to be the only Jew in the neighborhood.

Last edited by rockypointny; 03-18-2009 at 01:59 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 01:53 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,992,188 times
And I love the reference to the neighborhood being "a little too working class".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island