Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 PM

153 posts, read 606,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post
When the time comes you might want to switch over to 2 zone.
I have forced hot air, its sucks.
$300.00 sounds about right, just dont move the thermostate around a lot.
Yeah, I Have no idea how much it would cost to up to 3 zones (if we're doing 2, might as well do 3 to save money).

Why do you say forced hot air sucks?

so, is that 300 every month? even not in the winter? I'd guess so since it's using gas huh?

And why not move the thermostat around a lot? I mean..usually when we leave for the day we'd turn it down, then turn it back up when we get home, etc. etc., is that ok>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 12:47 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,822,731 times
Hot air heat is not the most efficient heating system out there, and there are other issues such if you have asthma or sensitive skin. Do a search online to find out the real deal on hot air heat. On the plus side, it makes installing central air conditioning a cinch!

Supposedly energy is wasted when you come home at night and turn up the thermostat, as it takes more time(fuel) to bring the temperature back up to a comfy zone. It's debatable, some swear on turning down during the day, others don't.
Adding zones isn't too expensive.

I leave mine at 66 all winter. I never touch it. Nor does anyone else, it's second to murder in my house

Old 03-24-2009, 12:56 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
^^ The only way to multi zone a forced hot air system is add another furnace.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:26 PM

153 posts, read 606,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Hot air heat is not the most efficient heating system out there, and there are other issues such if you have asthma or sensitive skin. Do a search online to find out the real deal on hot air heat. On the plus side, it makes installing central air conditioning a cinch!

Supposedly energy is wasted when you come home at night and turn up the thermostat, as it takes more time(fuel) to bring the temperature back up to a comfy zone. It's debatable, some swear on turning down during the day, others don't.

I leave mine at 66 all winter. I never touch it. Nor does anyone else, it's second to murder in my house
I'm guessing you have hot air...if you don't mind me asking what your monthly bill is.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:28 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
hot air heat is not the most efficient heating system out there, and there are other issues such if you have asthma or sensitive skin. Do a search online to find out the real deal on hot air heat. On the plus side, it makes installing central air conditioning a cinch!

i leave mine at 66 all winter. I never touch it. Nor does anyone else, it's second to murder in my house
brrrr!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:01 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,822,731 times
I had hot air in the house I grew up in, until the mid 80's. Then my old man switched it over to hot water and baseboard. He does have hot air heat at his weekend house in Southold, but he keeps the t-stat at like 50 unless he is out there, which is only a few days a month. So, in that instance, he really doesn't have high bills out there.
My in-laws do have hot air heat.
They have basically the same square footage as me, maybe a tad less, but their bill is like 150 more a month. And they are cheapskates! they keep the t-stat at like 62 all winter. I freeze to death when I go to their house. And, the house has been updated with all new windows and doors.

66 keeps my house cozy all winter. On extremely cold nights, we kick on the electric blanket. I have a cape, so it's always nice and warm upstairs in my kids rooms.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:01 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
My in-laws do have hot air heat.
They have basically the same square footage as me, maybe a tad less, but their bill is like 150 more a month.And, the house has been updated with all new windows and doors.
You cant compare 2 different houses. One may not have insulation, who knows how old the furnace is? Also how efficient it is. There are 95% eff hot air furnaces now, that will be cheaper to run than a 90% hotwater system. You just cant compare 2 different houses. There is NOTHING wrong with hot air. THe only thing you need to do is add a good humidifier, and change the filter monthly. I have severe allergies and have no problems with my hot air.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:08 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post
I have forced hot air, its sucks.
Have to agree with the above. Hot air heat blows exactly what it's called: hot air. And it's hot - to me uncomfortably so. Then it cools down and you freeze, until the next blast of hot air comes in.

If you're used to baseboard heat which usually heats pretty evenly compared to blasting hot air, it may take some getting used to, especially for your wife who, as you said, gets cold easily.

It's true, it's easy to put in central air since the ductwork is all finished. Makes the cost of installation much cheaper than installing everything from scratch.

But playing the devil's advocate here, my opinion is to keep looking around. I think you'll be able to find a house with better overall heating. I don't like the sound of just one thermostat for the entire 3 floors either. Don't worry, the house will still be there. Hardly anything is selling out there.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:20 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
But playing the devil's advocate here, my opinion is to keep looking around. I think you'll be able to find a house with better overall heating. I don't like the sound of just one thermostat for the entire 3 floors either. Don't worry, the house will still be there. Hardly anything is selling out there.
Your telling someone not to buy the house house because it has hot air? LOL, you have to be kidding me.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:49 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mrs.b.i View Post
* I can't get the square footage just yet..I'm trying though.
* Basement windows are old, will be replaced, 1st/2nd floor windows are not terribly old, but not brand new
* Natural Gas, Pipe coming into the basement
* Gas is heating the hot water (is that the right answer?)
Haven't seen anyone ask if the basement is finished...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island