U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 06:11 PM

22 posts, read 49,421 times
Default Long island beaches and forests.

1. Please name some very deserted beaches on the north and south shore...think RURAL and romantic excursions.

2. Any giant old forest that isn't touristy?

3. The beach with the biggest rocks/cliffs?

4. Any large hills or cliffs that one can see the sound or ocean through the trees from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 06:44 PM

492 posts, read 6,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooniecorn View Post
1. Please name some very deserted beaches on the north and south shore...think RURAL and romantic excursions.

4. Any large hills or cliffs that one can see the sound or ocean through the trees from?
Only interested in that, Why ?
Do you want to shoot a rocket at an airplane ?

Old 03-26-2007, 06:53 PM

965 posts, read 3,196,649 times
LOL,, Long beach in Smithtown! The woods on LI are full of ticks and poison Ivy.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:02 PM

22 posts, read 49,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Only interested in that, Why ?
Do you want to shoot a rocket at an airplane ?
No, I'll leave that to the CIA.

I'm just interested in scenic areas as listed above for photography and painting.
Supreme quietness is a must.

Any other ideas?

Old 03-26-2007, 07:46 PM

Yeah if you go into "Old Stony Brook" you will find a quaint little town with small beaches you can roam around on. Both beaches I mentioned border the L.I. sound. And as your heading into town you will come acros a water mill on the left hand side.(Its a left hand turn only) TAKE THAT LEFT and it leads to some of the most senic sites on the N.shore. There are a couple of hiking trails up there, one really nice one on the first dirt road you come across after passing the water mill. Very majestic. You wouldnt think you were on L.I.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:56 PM

161 posts, read 733,269 times
Take a peak at Rocky Point's Cedar Beach, wow what a magnificent view. Also go east, the Hamptons or Montauk

Old 03-28-2007, 07:58 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
843 posts, read 1,925,296 times
Quote:

I would wait until time travel is a reality. Then go back 40 years or so. Or become friends with Martha stewart or billy joel. But for cliffs and woods and water the nork fork from mattituck to orient on the north side of the north fork (LI sound) cant be beat - Montauk point at the lighthouse park has probably what you want - try it in the winter to minimize the exposure to other long islanders. Smiths point state park as well. I dont know if you can use 4 wheelers anymore on the ocean but thats a nice way to get away from it all. ticks are a problem Lyme diease and then there is west nile virus from the mosquitoes, the water can have high amounts of bacteria including e-coli, but otherwise it is very pretty.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
I would wait until time travel is a reality. Then go back 40 years or so. Or become friends with Martha stewart or billy joel. But for cliffs and woods and water the nork fork from mattituck to orient on the north side of the north fork (LI sound) cant be beat - Montauk point at the lighthouse park has probably what you want - try it in the winter to minimize the exposure to other long islanders. Smiths point state park as well. I dont know if you can use 4 wheelers anymore on the ocean but thats a nice way to get away from it all. ticks are a problem Lyme diease and then there is west nile virus from the mosquitoes, the water can have high amounts of bacteria including e-coli, but otherwise it is very pretty.
You have to be a resident to get a 4 wheelin permit. And Montauk doesnt have any cliffs. Its just infested with lyme disease!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:37 PM

840 posts, read 1,106,928 times
Quote:

I'll try to help with a few ...

1 - nice ocean beach just west of Tobay Beach (a few miles east of Jones Beach) although hard to find parking during the day . I would say about a mile west of Tobay.

2 - check out Hither Woods , north of NY 27 between Amagansett and Montauk. Watch for hunters in winter. The northwest woods (East Hampton) has some desolate parts. I also like Cathedral Pines (Middle Island).

3 - Caumsett State Park in Lloyd Harbor has some great bluffs fronting the LI Sound. Also check out Wildwood State Park in Wading River.

4 - check out the new Shadmoor State Park just east of Montauk village (south side on NY 27) . Primitive, but worth the long walk to the cliffs. If you keep walking east towards Ditch Plains you can access a beautiful ocean beach.

Enjoy. hope this helps you.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:32 AM

2,388 posts, read 4,080,338 times
Plenty of those, mostly in Suffolk county. If you like woodlands and ponds nothing beats the pine barrens.
They have some small ponds in Ridge in Brookhaven State Park, plus vast woodlands in the Manorville hills with some really nice overlooks (Bald Hill off Rt.51).
You're probably lucky to come across another person when you're walking in the pines.
For bluffs overlooking the water, check out Wildwood State Park in Wading River, it has absolutely awesome views of the LI Sound and rocky beaches. For views of the ocean from cliffs nothing beats Montauk.
Connetquot State Park, albeit a bit busier, is less of a trip and is in Oakdale off Sunrise Highway, has miles and miles of trails through pine barrens and the scenic connetquot river.
If you really want to see something unusual go to Westhampton by the airport where there are plains of these stunted pitch pines, known as dwarf pines, they are globally rare.
If you take narrow trails you will have to worry about ticks, and the biting pine flies are another headache. I generally prefer Oct-April for hiking in the woods, in summer the ocean beachlands are the place to be, I love Smith Point and Fire Island in general. Another great place is Napeague, where stunted pitch pine trees grow in sand dunes by the ocean.

Here's some photos

view from the bluff over LI Sound:Wildwood State Park

connetquot river, view from bunces bridge, connetquot state park

dwarf pine plains, Westhampton
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/400/medium/westhampton7.jpg (broken link)

kettle hole pond, Brookhaven state park

Last edited by Johninwestbury; 06-14-2007 at 12:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island