Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your nitty-gritty feeling about LI
Overall, the positives outweigh the negatives; I'm staying, or relocating, here by choice 33 41.77%
I wish I could stay, or relocate, here; but other factors dictate that I can't 2 2.53%
Overall, the negatives outweigh the positives and I'd like to leave; but other factors are keeping me 'stuck' here 14 17.72%
Negatives outweigh the positives; I'm definitely leaving within the next 5 years 16 20.25%
I'm constantly conflicted! Some days I love LI, other days I hate it. 14 17.72%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:08 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Sometimes I want to leave to enjoy the value of the dollar more but I fear I'll be left missing a lot compared to here.
Exactly the way we have felt on several occasions. We too have never LIVED (meaning for more than a couple of months at the very most) anywhere else although we both traveled extensively in our 20s, 30s, and early 40s. So it's not like we've never been out of the tri-state area. We also have visited friends who have moved to other parts of the country and got some pretty thorough tours of their areas as well ..... which always came up short in enough ways to convince us that we would regret putting the value of our dollars above everything else we love about LI if we ever did move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 10:19 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Default Overcrowded and overtaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
We hate it in the Winter, then love it again in the Summer.

But I have so many options on restaurants, entertainment, nature, culture, it's hard to beat, even though I agree with rocafeller on the taxes and congestion.
Perfect summary for me. Long Island is cursed becasue it is next to New York City and too many people want to live here. To think the island could have been a much larger Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard if it was further offshore. On the other hand most of us would not be living here to enjoy it!

Old 03-29-2009, 10:21 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,467,971 times
Everything on LI is overpriced and you just don't get your money's worth for anything.

I don't like the fact that you have to drive everywhere for any little thing.

The schools aren't that great.

There aren't many opportunities available.

Oh, and yes, I am saving to get out of here. It's going to take a while, but as soon as I can, I'm gone.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:29 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Smile The grass is not always greener on the other side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Everything on LI is overpriced and you just don't get your money's worth for anything.

Oh, and yes, I am saving to get out of here. It's going to take a while, but as soon as I can, I'm gone.
I cannot speak for you and I hope where ever you go you are happy. But I have been reading here on CD and talking to relatives and friends who left Long Island. And very often there is something they miss about living on the Island once they left.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:06 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
I love Long Island, I wouldn't want to leave (well, at least until retirement). I've traveled all over the place, and notice that many areas don't offer what LI does. My fiance and I were going to move to Las Vegas, but didn't because teacher salaries are low compared to the cost of living there. We do much better financially on Long Island. Anyway, in a way I'm glad it works out that way, because I told him I think I would miss Long Island too much. I'm here in Queens now and I miss Long Island a lot even being here. We're closing on a house in Levittown in about a month, so I'm really excited I'll be back soon

Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Default Long Island's original "East End" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
To think the island could have been a much larger Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard if it was further offshore.

Ah, but there was a time when Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard were http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-east-end.html .

Old 03-29-2009, 11:34 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
I've looked in other areas and I would consider leaving if my wife ever lost her job..if I lost mine I'd suck it up and do what I have to do. I like some aspects of LI, but those who say it has things other places don't...what? More Italian people and pizza?

It's a typical suburb, and an old suburb at that. Yes, being a suburb of NYC is better than being a suburb of Raleigh NC or Richmond VA or bublerock Minnesota..but is it worth the exorbinant cost? Especially people who never go into NYC and spend most of the time in their local town or in their house, it doesn't make much sense to be spending twice as much on a mortgage and 4 times as much on taxes as other places to live virtually the exact same lifestyle. What, the pizza is better?

If my wife didn't have a tenured teacher position, we'd be out of here.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:41 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What, the pizza is better?

No.

It's the pastrami ...

Old 03-29-2009, 12:34 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post

See, some of these criticisms just don't make that much sense to me. Complaining about driving AND cost? Everywhere that people are moving to that's cheap is worse when it comes to driving and sprawl. The places that offer convenience are generally cities and expensive.

Schools? Again, other places with good schools but they aren't cheap. NoVA is cheaper than LI, but it still isn't cheap cheap. And if you think LI schools are "not that great" your eyes will really be opened when you go somewhere they actually suck. Not many opportunities? In what?

None of the answers worked for me. I don't want to move, but in the current economic/job climate, we may not have a choice.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:48 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,467,971 times
[quote=dman72;8094903]
It's a typical suburb, and an old suburb at that. quote]

And that's exactly it.... it's a typical suburb and has what all suburbs have. Nothing unique... nothing special (except the cost, of course).

And please, nobody mention "the beaches" and "it's close to NYC" --- that old battle cry is sooooo tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island