Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:51 PM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Fighter View Post
And buyers can't deal with you sellers thinking just because you took $10k off the price you purchased the condo for in 2006 that your condo is such a great deal. Face facts, you need to heavily discount your place if you want it to move. This is a buyers market and it means pricing accordingly.
First of all, I've discounted it $50k since I've been on the market so don't go making assumptions that I've only discounted it $10k and for your information, I did not purchase in 2006! I put my offer in in 2004 and closed in Feb. 05. So, please don't go making assumptions!

I have heavily discounted it and am below the price what we paid for it.

yes, it is a buyers market but it does not mean that I should give my property away! Buyers need to be realistic as well. I am a buyer as well on the other end and when I look at houses, I am looking at them at a realistic approach, not walking in and thinking I can get everything for free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
True, however there are those that do not want to take care of the property outside the house nor do they want to hire people to do it. They just simply don't want to be bothered with it.
Thank you thebobs! It's so true! Yes, houses are more affordable but some people who are not handy or do not want to take care of landscaping are interested in co-ops and condo's. AND just b/c houses have come down a lot, doesn't mean someone can afford the type of house they would want..so some people may rather have a condo that's more fixed up and that doesn't need any work rather than purchase a cheap house that needs updating and work to be done.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:21 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
A lot of older retired people actually prefer condos , especially in places like Babylon Village or Port Washington where they can walk to the trains, movies, libraries, restaurants & all. They're maintenance free.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-15-2009, 03:22 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
LIgirl74 your condo is only worth what someone will pay for it. It doesnt matter what you paid for it or when. This market is rough and many people think its going to plunge further. I wish you luck, but I would do 1 of 2 things. 1) Put it the lowest you can afford to sale it at or 2) rent it and buy a house.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:25 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
I have a house in Brisbane Australia.
How about we do a swap.
Cars, kids I'll even throw in the wife.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
LIgirl74 your condo is only worth what someone will pay for it. It doesnt matter what you paid for it or when. This market is rough and many people think its going to plunge further. I wish you luck, but I would do 1 of 2 things. 1) Put it the lowest you can afford to sale it at or 2) rent it and buy a house.
I totally agree with you. We have put it at just about the least we can take..maybe we can take another 5% off but that's about it. The same condo as mine sold in January for $267,000 but I am being realistic by pricing it a lot less than that place. I also know that something from January is not comparable anymore in today's market.

I already spoke to my mortgage broker and am not able to keep the condo and rent it out while buying a home. The PMI company will not give us PMI due to owning our condo as the LTV ratio would be too high. This is why the only option is to sell our condo.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:12 PM

149 posts, read 351,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
First of all, I've discounted it $50k since I've been on the market so don't go making assumptions that I've only discounted it $10k and for your information, I did not purchase in 2006! I put my offer in in 2004 and closed in Feb. 05. So, please don't go making assumptions!

I have heavily discounted it and am below the price what we paid for it.

yes, it is a buyers market but it does not mean that I should give my property away! Buyers need to be realistic as well. I am a buyer as well on the other end and when I look at houses, I am looking at them at a realistic approach, not walking in and thinking I can get everything for free!
He is just mad he cant afford a house and is lashing out. Sell your home for what you think its worth. There is a buyer for every home at any price. It might take longer to sell but patience will pay off and you will get what you want.

Guys like 56 just want people to panic and bottom line their prices so people like him can take advantage. There are so many houses for sale right now. That is why your not getting many bites. Maybe take it off the market and let things cool down for a while.

Dont listen to 56.. and don't panic and you will do fine.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:47 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
A lot of older retired people actually prefer condos , especially in places like Babylon Village or Port Washington where they can walk to the trains, movies, libraries, restaurants & all. They're maintenance free.
Yes.

Theyre called retirement communites.

The may be maintenance free but they certainly arent free maintenanace

Just kiddin....good point.

Crooks

Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 AM

240 posts, read 237,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propain View Post
Let it out. Im here for you. Im sorry you cant afford a home right now. Everyone should own a home in their life. I guess its just not your time. Trying looking into switching careers. One that will make you more money of course.

You also can always move out of the state. Since you are having such a hard time buying a 350K home I guess you are single and don’t really have a great career. Its ok, there is always time to improve your situation. I hear Florida is becoming affordable again.

Good luck. Im here if you want to rant more.
You said you work for the state in another post - so get back to work and stop ranting on here trying to prop up home values since you're on the verge of foreclosure. You are wasting my tax dollars

Old 06-16-2009, 08:35 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times
Spot on....sell your condo for whatever you want to and stick to your guns.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-16-2009 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island