U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:18 AM

843 posts, read 1,152,160 times
Default William Naughton's Office (Highways)

I came home this morning (9:45) to find three shovel-leaners kickin' it in front of my house drinking coffee next to their Dept. of Highways trucks (numbers 119 & 64).

I stood and watched for some time to see if they were just figuring things out, or what. After about 20 minutes, I decided to call the number on the side of the truck to let their office know that they weren't doing anything (1-631-499-0444). The woman who answered said, "They may be on break." I asked, "At 9:45 am?" "They are allowed three breaks," she explained. So, I simply said, "They have walkie-talkees, ask them if they are on break."

Then she asked who I was and what my address was. I asked why she needed that information. She told me that they don't take anonymous complaints. Then she told me to stop yelling at her (and I wasn't - she was putting on an act for someone else in the room. My wife can attest to how calm I was, as she was right there with me.). Then she hung up.

I called again, and she hung up immediately.

I called again, and she said, "If you keep calling, you will be harassing me. Give me your address so I can send police to your house." I asked to speak to her supervisor, and she hung up on me.

Then they wouldn't answer their phones for 30 minutes, rotating their answering machine with slammed receivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:42 AM

15,763 posts, read 16,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I came home this morning (9:45) to find three shovel-leaners kickin' it in front of my house drinking coffee next to their Dept. of Highways trucks (numbers 119 & 64).

I stood and watched for some time to see if they were just figuring things out, or what. After about 20 minutes, I decided to call the number on the side of the truck to let their office know that they weren't doing anything (1-631-499-0444). The woman who answered said, "They may be on break." I asked, "At 9:45 am?" "They are allowed three breaks," she explained. So, I simply said, "They have walkie-talkees, ask them if they are on break."

Then she asked who I was and what my address was. I asked why she needed that information. She told me that they don't take anonymous complaints. Then she told me to stop yelling at her (and I wasn't - she was putting on an act for someone else in the room. My wife can attest to how calm I was, as she was right there with me.). Then she hung up.

I called again, and she said, "If you keep calling, you will be harassing me. Give me your address so I can send police to your house." I asked to speak to her supervisor, and she hung up on me.

Then they wouldn't answer their phones for 30 minutes, rotating their answering machine with slammed receivers.
If you are that interested in their break schedule, why didn't you just walk out of the house and ask them? I would walk my dog deliberately over there to see what they were up to if I were that interested and more often than not a conversation would start over the dog and then I could lead it where I wanted it to. Seemed like both you and your wife were in the house "on break" so why couldn't they have a little while to drink their coffee? We don't know what their schedules are and how they get their jobs accomplished. Is there roadwork that needs to be done in your vicinity that is causing you a problem (potholes, etc.) and you think their slacking is inconviencing you? Or are you just being nosy?

Really, if I had a dime for every time I drove past some roadwork and saw 10 guys watching one guy dig I would be rich! Or how about when lanes are blocked off and signs are up saying "construction" and not a soul is out there working? If I took the time to call the authorities and question the actions, I would not have time to do much else.

If you want to tattle on people, don't be surprised when the authority you are tattling to wants to know who you are to make sure it is a legitimate complaint. For all they know it could be a kook who saw the truck drive past on the highway or another worker trying to get coworkers in trouble. What was the problem with telling the woman who you were and where you live? Were you afraid she would tell the "shovel leaners" and they would ambush you with their shovels?

Old 03-31-2009, 10:05 AM

Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If you are that interested in their break schedule, why didn't you just walk out of the house and ask them? I would walk my dog deliberately over there to see what they were up to if I were that interested and more often than not a conversation would start over the dog and then I could lead it where I wanted it to. Seemed like both you and your wife were in the house "on break" so why couldn't they have a little while to drink their coffee? We don't know what their schedules are and how they get their jobs accomplished. Is there roadwork that needs to be done in your vicinity that is causing you a problem (potholes, etc.) and you think their slacking is inconviencing you? Or are you just being nosy?

Really, if I had a dime for every time I drove past some roadwork and saw 10 guys watching one guy dig I would be rich! Or how about when lanes are blocked off and signs are up saying "construction" and not a soul is out there working? If I took the time to call the authorities and question the actions, I would not have time to do much else.

If you want to tattle on people, don't be surprised when the authority you are tattling to wants to know who you are to make sure it is a legitimate complaint. For all they know it could be a kook who saw the truck drive past on the highway or another worker trying to get coworkers in trouble. What was the problem with telling the woman who you were and where you live? Were you afraid she would tell the "shovel leaners" and they would ambush you with their shovels?
Yes, I think fear of retribution is an important concern. You call it "tattling." Others call it "whistle-blowing," and view it as an important part of keeping public services responsible.

Want to know what they did for 30 minutes in front of my house? No hyperbole here - they threw down 6 shovels-full of dirt on a patch of lawn scraped up by a blow.

I wouldn't have written this if it had just been about the leaners. I ended up more interested in the response I got when I called. It wouldn't have taken any effort to get on the horn and say, "Hey Bob, you've got folks in the neighborhood calling." That's it. She wouldn't do that.

The hilarity in all of this is that I've been calling for nearly 2 years about the drug dealer across the street, and haven't gotten the cops to do a damn thing about it - ever. Yet, I know when the Highway's Dept. hotline woman threatens to send cops to my house for harassing her, they are probably much more likely to move than when dope dealers are running shop.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
The hilarity in all of this is that I've been calling for nearly 2 years about the drug dealer across the street, and haven't gotten the cops to do a damn thing about it - ever. Yet, I know when the Highway's Dept. hotline woman threatens to send cops to my house for harassing her, they are probably much more likely to move than when dope dealers are running shop.
WWHHAATT? That is so totally lame! Here's an idea about the drug dealer. My dad says that the DEA is directly working dopehouses in Queens neighborhoods, so why not Long Island too? Get in touch with the DEA and tell them you have a dopehouse for them to make buys at and bust.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 AM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
WWHHAATT? That is so totally lame! Here's an idea about the drug dealer. My dad says that the DEA is directly working dopehouses in Queens neighborhoods, so why not Long Island too? Get in touch with the DEA and tell them you have a dopehouse for them to make buys at and bust.
It wouldn't have dawned on me to call feds to remedy this. It seems more like a local thing, as we do have a narcotics department in the 2nd precinct. Your suggestion is worth considering.

What's puzzling is that I've tracked a couple of busts in my town in which the police claimed to have observed the house for less than two months time. There's been plenty of action to watch and plenty of time to watch it. It makes no sense to me, except for when I call the cops seem to know who I'm talking about and have intimate knowledge about the family relationships in the house.

I don't know why my response warranted the flaming response. Bold? Why are you flippin' out?

Old 03-31-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
It wouldn't have dawned on me to call feds to remedy this. It seems more like a local thing, as we do have a narcotics department in the 2nd precinct. Your suggestion is worth considering.
Feds often do their own investigations, either independent from or in tandem with local law enforcement.

Quote:
It makes no sense to me, except for when I call the cops seem to know who I'm talking about and have intimate knowledge about the family relationships in the house.
Are they actually giving you any information back or just listening to what you are saying and affirming it? A lot of times that's the way they talk to people; take in all info and act like they knew it already and give no info back.

Quote:
I don't know why my response warranted the flaming response. Bold? Why are you flippin' out?
You mean the bolding of this:

The hilarity in all of this is that I've been calling for nearly 2 years about the drug dealer across the street, and haven't gotten the cops to do a damn thing about it - ever.

I was flippin' out at the cops not doing anything for 2 years. I am wondering what I would do in the same situation. On my block, people are close, so if somebody moved in and started that up, I think if I wanted to go the police route, I would go door to door and talk to people and make a mass complaint. If I wanted to go another route with no police involved, I would harass the neighbor and their "visitors" until they couldn't take it anymore and would either move or commit suicide.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:48 PM

556 posts, read 830,897 times
Quote:
Maybe thats the police doing a stakout LOL

Old 03-31-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
Maybe thats the police doing a stakout LOL
Hehe ... good thinkin! The narcs dressed up as town workers. Maybe that telephone operator was in on it and she didn't want to disturb the stakeout!

The DEA people don't usually go "in costume." Just pose as buying skels aka dope customers and gather evidence to close down the house. Or the DEA people hide out on the block and arrest customers when they come out with the drugs they just purchased.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 PM

167 posts, read 342,422 times
I love the way everyone just accepts the fact that our tax dollars are being thrown away on the constant fake construction throughout LI.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:46 AM

432 posts, read 979,471 times
Quote:

Maybe your time could be better spent instead of tattling by ohhhh teaching a kid to read? Visiting vets in the hospital? Giving blood?
Somebody has to dig ditches, I've done it. It sucks. The question you have to ask yourself would you rather have them leaning on shovels in front to your house or climbing through you living room window to make a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island