U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 7,974 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to Long Island from Hawaii in early May. My husband is in the Army and will be working at the Hein reserve center in Shoreham . We have been looking for a house to rent and found one that we like in Wading River but the house is in the Riverhead sd. Im a little concerned because I want my kids to go to a good school. I'm aware that the Three Village sd is great but I've also read that alot of the people that go to this school can be a bit materialistic and I don't want my girls to feel if they don't have this or that they will not fit in. We've been searching for houses to rent in other areas but are a little put off by the brokers fee which is the same amount as the 1st mos rent! I believe that they should get paid for their services but when the average rent is around 2500-3000 the fee is absurd especially when I'm doing the researching. For example; If I choose a house from the prudential realty website with no help from a broker I still have to pay them their fee and what work did they do? Very frustrating!!! The house in Wading river is for rent by owner so their is no fee. Moving to a new area you know little about is stressful in itself. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Much Aloha!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 06:34 AM

1,607 posts, read 4,688,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dani girl View Post
My family and I are relocating to Long Island from Hawaii in early May. My husband is in the Army and will be working at the Hein reserve center in Shoreham . We have been looking for a house to rent and found one that we like in Wading River but the house is in the Riverhead sd. Im a little concerned because I want my kids to go to a good school. I'm aware that the Three Village sd is great but I've also read that alot of the people that go to this school can be a bit materialistic and I don't want my girls to feel if they don't have this or that they will not fit in. We've been searching for houses to rent in other areas but are a little put off by the brokers fee which is the same amount as the 1st mos rent! I believe that they should get paid for their services but when the average rent is around 2500-3000 the fee is absurd especially when I'm doing the researching. For example; If I choose a house from the prudential realty website with no help from a broker I still have to pay them their fee and what work did they do? Very frustrating!!! The house in Wading river is for rent by owner so their is no fee. Moving to a new area you know little about is stressful in itself. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Much Aloha!!!
I would pick up a newspaper and find a rental on my own. NewsDay is the big paper on L.I. Three Village SD is no where near River head. River head itself is a little bit racial which is wierd for being so far out on the Island. But neighboring towns are beautiful. If I could find work out there I would definitly consider moving back to the Island if it were way out East like that.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:56 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,497,430 times
Riverhead also has a charter school that may be a better choice. Have you looked into the Ridge area?
How old are your girls? Will this be a long term position for your husband?

Old 03-28-2007, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,974 times
Hello,
We will be living in LI for a minimum of two years, we want to live within 15 to 20 min from where my husband will be working in Shoreham. My daughters are 9 and 13. I'm not quite sure I know what a charter school is. I'll definately try the newspaper you recommended. Do you know anything about Stony Brook hospital? I'm a labor and delivery nurse and will be looking for a job once I get my kids settled. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani girl View Post
Hello,
We will be living in LI for a minimum of two years, we want to live within 15 to 20 min from where my husband will be working in Shoreham. My daughters are 9 and 13. I'm not quite sure I know what a charter school is. I'll definately try the newspaper you recommended. Do you know anything about Stony Brook hospital? I'm a labor and delivery nurse and will be looking for a job once I get my kids settled. Thanks!
Yes I know it well. RiverHead to Stony Brook hospital is a good hour drive!

Old 03-28-2007, 10:19 PM

262 posts, read 1,147,386 times
Try to find a house in the Shoreham-Wading River School District or even Rocky Point. They are much better districts.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:08 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,497,430 times
Stony brook hosp or even St charles in Port Jefferson would be good places for you to work.
Try looking in Rocky point, miller place, mt sinai, these areas are slightly west(10 minutes) of shoreham, closer to the hospitals you may work in & they are more afforadable areas with good schools.
I'd be afraid to start a 13 yr old in Riverhead, it has a rough reputation. I'm sure the elementary schools are fine, but I'd be worried about the older grades.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
Stony brook hosp or even St charles in Port Jefferson would be good places for you to work.
Try looking in Rocky point, miller place, mt sinai, these areas are slightly west(10 minutes) of shoreham, closer to the hospitals you may work in & they are more afforadable areas with good schools.
I'd be afraid to start a 13 yr old in Riverhead, it has a rough reputation. I'm sure the elementary schools are fine, but I'd be worried about the older grades.
Good advice! RT 347 isnt really that bad as far as traffic goes. (That far east)
I used to commute to Rocky Point when I was 18 for a job.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,797 times
Riverhead School District is an excellent school district. Most people posting here they say it has a "bad rep". Well I can speak from experience. I graduated from Riverhead and now have relocated back to Riverhead. There is a Catholic High School, Mercy, also located in Riverhead. I wouldn't send my children there, their course load can't hold a candle to Riverhead's. The Charter School is an option but they are struggling and do not give you a highs school option. Why does Riverhead have a bad rep? Because on the lilly white end of Eastern Long Island Riverhead has about a 30% minority population.
As for finding a nursing job you will have plenty of hospitals to pick from, Central Suffolk in Riverhead, Stony Brook, Mather in Port Jeff, Southampton, Eastern Long Island in Greenport. All are about a 45 minute drive. Not a big commute if you plan to live on the East End.
Oh, and the taxes in Rocky Point and Shoreham are astronomical. Riverhead is a great bet.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:26 AM

138 posts, read 561,761 times
Well I have a home for sale in Manorville with MUCH BETTER SCHOOLS. Ha ... Um I really do..

I would stay away from Riverhead schools .. Yes what Kelly said.. elementary fine.. but I would be leary of the Middle and High school

Wading river is split.. and you could also look for a home in that area where the children go to Shoreham-Wading River district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island