Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:28 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times

Advertisements

Ok we've all seen those tall white fences that you can't see over or through. What I would like to know is what those here who have them think of them. I do not have one of these fences and never had one, so i'm not sure how good they are.

Now i'm all for having a fence, especially with a kid planned. Don't want the little tyke running into the road.

A certain member of the family wants these things for privacy if we get a house. I for one really don't. Here are my reasons why.

1. Its an eyesore. I got to see white all over the damn place.
2. With no holes, no air flow movement so I think it would make the backyard a bit warmer.
3. With no holes, I foresee them coming down in a big windstorm.
4. I kinda like walking out into a backyard and waving to the neighbor and just shooting the breeze.

So how durable are these things? Can they stand up to a storm? Are they expensive? What do you hate/like about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 11:18 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
They are made of PVC . Google that to see how very toxic it is.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-06-2009, 11:40 AM

40 posts, read 196,280 times
They are pretty expensive relative to other fence options! I have a 100x150 yard and we got quotes of over $20k for PVC and $8-10k for wood (plain style). We also decided we didn't like the fake white plastic look for such a big enclosure. (the PVC can look cute for a small picket fence look). We decided to go with cedar and stain it reddish for a look closer to nature. The negative there is that PVC is maintenance free while the cedar will need upkeep. PVC can warp/bend and I have had friends who had to replace a few posts. We decided that we will get rid of the fence anyway when the kiddies are big enough to be safe (teens) and our fence is biodegradable!

Old 04-06-2009, 12:15 PM

510 posts, read 2,205,222 times
My yard is 60X100. We paid $5500 2 years ago to have the PVC fence put up. Greatest purchase we ever made, because now I have privacy.

Wood fences are not much cheaper anymore...since 911

Old 04-06-2009, 01:22 PM

34 posts, read 112,440 times
Default White PVC Fences

I think 6 foot white PVC fences are a good idea for corner properties that do not have a backyard or any privacy. However, they're a traffic hazard at intersections because it's difficult for drivers to see oncoming cars without having to inch up very slowly practically into the intersection to check for traffic. Whenever I do this, then the oncoming traffic usually beeps and gives me a dirty look as if I was going through the stop sign.

As far as people who choose to put white PVC picket fences around their entire property (front and sides) I think they are hideous!! Thank goodness there aren't many of these, but when I do see them I just cringe and wonder why someone would choose to block the view of their house with nothing but thick, white picket fencing that is quite dizzying when driving by. Why bother mowing the lawn or planting flowers . . . nobody can see them anyway!

I know the Town of Hempstead says fencing past the front of the house cannot be more than 4 feet, but fence installers go right ahead and install these 4 feet fences and raise them another foot off the ground making them more than 5 feet tall which is total overkill, especially in Nassau County where the houses are so close together. I really think the Town should start cracking down on this. Just imagine if house after house had picket fences all around their houses?? It's not pretty, folks!!

Garden City is a good example of a town that forbids these fences and for good reason . . . it looks neat and unobstructed.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:27 PM

103 posts, read 377,680 times
we moved into a house with 6+ ft high solid white PVC fencing. I think it looks terrible and on sunny days all that white surface area can be blinding. Since it will last forever, I'm not going to replace it. Instead I'll just try and grow bushes/trees/shrubs to cover it up. I saw that they make the vinyl fences now in a more natural color and even with a wood grain texture.....kinda like trex decking material. I hear it is super expensive, though. Regarding being able to see through the PVC fences, I think you can adjust the horizontal spacing and/or add horizontal trellace (sp?) to the top which would allow you to see through.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:38 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
I've seen some of these fences with a sort of mildew coating on them after they've been up for a few years time - does power washing take this off?

Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 PM

270 posts, read 969,409 times
I've got the white PVC fencing along the front of my fenced-in yard. I'll answer your questions one at a time:

1) As far as being an eye-sore is concerned, I've seen plenty of wood fences that aren't maintained that prove to be a bigger distraction than the white PVC fencing.

2) Unless your backyard is very small, the fence will not be an unstoppable force that has any noticeable effect on climate.

3) I've had various fencing material over the past 20 years, living in New York and in the Midwest. The PVC fencing appears to be no better or worse than any of the various materials I've used as far as weathering storms, hurricanes, blizzards, or tornadoes are concerned. Wrought iron is the exception, in my experience.

4) Like most people I've seen with PVC fencing, I only have it on the front. My sides/back are more traditional "see-through" fencing that only goes up 4 feet. This is usually due to cost more than anything. I too like to walk out back and wave to the neighbors. That said, a 6-foot wooden slat fence would also block your view from the neighbors as well, so this isn't so much a PVC fence characteristic. All things considered, privacy from your neighbors may be a positive or a negative, depending on the situation at hand.

I like the clean look of the fence, the only part I hate about it is I have to scrub clean it at times (kids balls glancing off of it leave smudges, weedwacker along the bottom leaves some green marks, etc).

Old 04-06-2009, 02:01 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
PVC is the rage these days. It's nice, and it seems like if you don't have it, you're not on par with the Jones'. Excellent brainwashing by HGTV etc...

Anyway, PVC is pretty durable. The solid panels are more prone to coming down due to wind. Yes, under the right circumstances you may have to keep sunglassess on at all times when hanging out in the yard. The most important thing about PVC is the quality of the product, followed by the quality of the installer. Typically, the Home Depot stuff will fall apart much faster than the better brands, that most installers use. It's hard to tell the difference unless you are a pro. Be very, very, carefull! some installers will charge you for the better stuff but actually install the lesser quality. PVC will get green mildew, just like any other fence product, it usually washes off easy. PVC can chalk and fade. PVC does crack. PVC does warp.

It really narrows down to personal preference. All fence products have pro's and con's. PVC is not the holy grail of fencing, but it's good.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:06 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
I both like and dislike them. I have them on 1 side the yard, the other 2 sides are chain link, and nothing in the front.

yes, they discourage neighborly conversations, both a plus and minus in my opinion depending on the neighbor. They are very white. you can get them in other colors now, the almond color is nice too. they do melt if your grill gets to close to them. They can stain if you look at them funny.

If you just want to keep your kids in, I don't think you NEED to have a 6 foot tall fence. you probably would be fine wth a 4ft spaced picket fence. so its really up to you.

Sometimes I feel they look nice, others not so much. I dressed up my neighbor's on my one side, with 2 gardens. makes it look nice.

I probably would prefer chain link and bushes myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island