Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:12 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingforhome3 View Post
LillieB I understand where you are coming from. My husband and I left LI 8 years ago and I thought we would never look back... now all I can think about is moving back. I miss every single thing good and bad about it. Currently we are living in Orange County, CA and I am terribly homesick. I hope you are able to move back soon!
Cant blame you, with the exception of the weather and In N Out burger, the OC is awful.
Talk about the failure of car culture.

The people are about 1 inch deep.

Everytime I visit I long for home too.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 04-12-2009 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Cant blame you, with the exception of the weather and In N Out burger, the OC is awful.

Talk about the failure of car culture.

The people are about 1 inch deep.

Everytime I visit I long for home too.

Crooks
I would miss In N Out! But I'll take an egg sandwich and a good pie over a burger any day! I take it you have lived in OC?
The weather becomes boring after a while - at least in my opinion.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:35 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingforhome3 View Post
I would miss In N Out! But I'll take an egg sandwich and a good pie over a burger any day! I take it you have lived in OC?
The weather becomes boring after a while - at least in my opinion.
Yup

Irvine sucks.

crooks

Old 04-12-2009, 01:07 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,220 times
OP, I can understand your being homesick. I've been away from LI for 3 years and have been homesick since I left. I get to stay there during the summer, which gets me through the rest of the year down here in FL. We may buy a home on LI again this summer and only vacation in FL from now on-Yahoo!!!! I'm glad to see I'm not the only nut who missed NY after I left it. But then, I never wanted to leave LI in the first place. I'm a LI girl, through and through, born and raised. For the better and worst of it, whether it's perfect or far from it, it's still HOME. And, it's where I want to be. Sometimes when I'm there in the summer I'll look at one of the more "gritty" things about LI and smile to myself while I'm thinking, "Yep, that's LI, but it still feels 'right and good' to me".

With the various skills you have and your determination to return to LI I just bet you'll make it just fine. Salaries are so much higher in NY than most other places. And, there are still jobs in NY, too. Best of luck to you!

Old 04-12-2009, 01:30 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,263 times
i guess you either have to be born or raised, or both, here to like LI. i am having a huge struggle liking this place. drivers...i lived in FL for a few years and i thought those were the worse drivers on earth. then i started driving in LI and i am totally freaked out. these drivers here make old folks floridians look like student drivers. why are you in such a hurry? i have had cars come from their lane, cut me off (had to hit the brake hard to miss an accident), and make a U turn on my lane (no stop sign, no traffic light, just a double line. just a double line). then I have had a cop car drive through the red light. oh no, he was not in a hurry nor his lights were on he just ran through the red light. so, i guess I don't understand when someone says i miss LI. why? it is very expensive. 8 percent tax? seriously? then, the roads. wow. i am in the market for a junk car because it's not worth driving a nice car in these roads.
you should leave Maine, but you should choose a place where you can make good enough money and afford a living. LI is too expensive and i doubt a 30,000 something salary a year will get you anywhere in LI? you should try VA, or NC, or SC, or go west, try Austin (beautiful city). there are so many beautiful places all over the country. You're young. Try anything but don't think of LI as the only place for you.
good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island