Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,842 times

Advertisements

i im looking to buy a property in new hyde park the taxes are 11,500 is it true that if i remodel the house the taxes will be raised even more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 6,842 times
hi i am looking to buy a property in new hyde park the taxes are 11,500 is it true that if i remodel the house the taxes will be raised even more

Old 03-18-2010, 07:12 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisfinefare View Post
i im looking to buy a property in new hyde park
In case you are unaware, the majority of places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address are not in the Village of New Hyde Park.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisfinefare View Post
the taxes are 11,500 is it true that if i remodel the house the taxes will be raised even more
If the remodeling affects the assessed value of the property, then the answer is "Yes".

Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 21,021 times
Wow .... U less you love to work hard and get next to zero for your money then NHP is for you.. It is a ok neighborhood at best, the area is run down the village has absolutely no sense of beautification what so ever. People love to stay here from back in the day due to the daly routine and the same Ol same Ol, the village and town are a waste of hard earned money. You can get more just by moving slightly south and a little further east whe you wil get more services, house, land for your money. The schools are rated number 1 to this day I don't know how. Every school in nassau county is rated for excellences even Hempstead its up to if your kid wants to learn, there is a slight drug problem in the area that ain't bad but as a parent it's bad enougf, the NHP GCP school system does the work maintence on its delapated schools from poor maintence to broken yard equipment as well as poor indoor equipment. School budgets are always raised and if they don't they go to a contingency plan and raise them anyway. It's my opinion if you are white trash or just want to join the ranks of the white trash new hyde park is for you. If you work hard and aren't afraid to drive and extra 15 to 20 min go and enjoy your money and give more to your family somewhere eles this town sucks and pitty all who live here

Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 AM

188 posts, read 416,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking only View Post
Wow .... U less you love to work hard and get next to zero for your money then NHP is for you.. It is a ok neighborhood at best, the area is run down the village has absolutely no sense of beautification what so ever. People love to stay here from back in the day due to the daly routine and the same Ol same Ol, the village and town are a waste of hard earned money. You can get more just by moving slightly south and a little further east whe you wil get more services, house, land for your money. The schools are rated number 1 to this day I don't know how. Every school in nassau county is rated for excellences even Hempstead its up to if your kid wants to learn, there is a slight drug problem in the area that ain't bad but as a parent it's bad enougf, the NHP GCP school system does the work maintence on its delapated schools from poor maintence to broken yard equipment as well as poor indoor equipment. School budgets are always raised and if they don't they go to a contingency plan and raise them anyway. It's my opinion if you are white trash or just want to join the ranks of the white trash new hyde park is for you. If you work hard and aren't afraid to drive and extra 15 to 20 min go and enjoy your money and give more to your family somewhere eles this town sucks and pitty all who live here
Hate to say it but this is a fairly accurate assessment about NHP. IMHO, it has really lost a lot of its charm the past 10-15 years. A lot of the town is run down and feels more like Queens. There really is no appeal to it any longer. Look elsewhere.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisel17 View Post
Hate to say it but this is a fairly accurate assessment about NHP. IMHO, it has really lost a lot of its charm the past 10-15 years. A lot of the town is run down and feels more like Queens. There really is no appeal to it any longer. Look elsewhere.
NHP is one of the towns we are considering buying in, would you care to elaborate on what exactly is run down and why you think it's no longer appealing?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:44 PM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
I would agree that NHP in terms of aesthetics is not the most nice looking place. The housing stock generally sucks also but such is life on the Island in that price range in a decent community.

I'd venture to guess that the large influx of Indian/Pakistani families into the community has caused quite a demographic shift, which is disturbing to many (especially whites). This is why the area may not seem as appealing although many will not admit it. I

Old 03-05-2013, 04:16 PM

426 posts, read 959,857 times
Well, if you like old as the hills post World War II cookie cutter Cape Cod houses with small 50x50 lots, 10K+ taxes, and also like to basically wave to your neighbor through your window when you sit down to eat dinner, then be my guest!

NHP is certainly for you!

Not to mention the aesthetically ugly village area, crazy potholes on Jericho Tpke, and its ever increasing resemblance to areas of Queens, by all means take a look.

Your money can be spent better elsewhere.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 AM

147 posts, read 543,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Well, if you like old as the hills post World War II cookie cutter Cape Cod houses with small 50x50 lots, 10K+ taxes, and also like to basically wave to your neighbor through your window when you sit down to eat dinner, then be my guest!

NHP is certainly for you!

Not to mention the aesthetically ugly village area, crazy potholes on Jericho Tpke, and its ever increasing resemblance to areas of Queens, by all means take a look.

Your money can be spent better elsewhere.
Let's not exaggerate here. The housing stock in New Hyde Park is the same as the rest of Nassau county.
Lots are not 50x50. The lots start at 40x100 for starter homes but you can get homes with much larger plots depending on how much you want to spend. This contrasts with Queens where you have lots that are 20x100 semi-attached houses. The lots that are 40x100, taxes are less than 10K. Bottom line, every neighborhood has starter homes with lower price points. New Hyde Park is a nice neighborhood that is close to everything with decent schools and relatively easy commute to Manhattan.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:57 AM

426 posts, read 959,857 times
The difference is Queens property taxes are a hell of a lot lower than NHP.....If I had to choose, I would go 10 mins west and rather live in Bellerose or Glen Oaks then NHP because of the significantly lower taxes, but much of the same type of housing stock.

If I didn't work so close to the city and had my choice, I would live in Suffolk, where you can get 3/4 of an acre or even a full acre with a huge backyard for the same prices as NHP.

I feel like in NHP you have no privacy from your neighbors since the houses are so close to eachother, and anything you do outside is watched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island