Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:09 AM

84 posts, read 491,034 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is interested in a condo at Fairview @ Artist Lake in Middle Island - also another at Country View Estates. She is single, no kids and works in the Syosset area. Can anyone give me feedback on the area? I did live in Rocky Point more than 10 years ago and I am a little familiar with the area, but I'm sure it has developed alot since then. Is there still a big Walmart on 25? How about the King Kullen shopping center? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 12:02 PM

732 posts, read 1,728,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTiz View Post
I did live in Rocky Point more than 10 years ago and I am a little familiar with the area, but I'm sure it has developed alot since then. Is there still a big Walmart on 25? How about the King Kullen shopping center? Thanks for your help!
In addition to those two, there's a Compare Foods that opened in the shopping center on the corner of Yaphank-Middle Island Road and 25, and two Stop & Shops (one where Pathmark and Caldor used to be on 25 in Coram, and one on the corner of 25A and Miller Place Road in Miller Place).

I have no opinions on Artist Lake.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,186,776 times
Tell her to forget Artist Lake. It is not a desirable area and the management rents to Section 8 and total dirtbags both in Artist Lake itself and in the large adjacent complex that was built to be sold but is mostly rentals (called LakePointe I believe; tell her that anything listed as Picasso Way or The Shores is also a part of Artist Lake and should be avoided; you can see they are trying to disguise themselves in case a buyer has heard the negs about Artist Lake). The management will do anything for money and will rent to anyone and your friend will suffer for it. See these postings:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/5196135-post9.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/1958096-post5.html

What is your friend's approximate budget and how many bedrooms does she want? Also, why Middle Island when she works in Syosset? Has she thought of looking at anything a little closer in?

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 04-09-2009 at 01:10 PM..

Old 04-09-2009, 01:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,569,886 times
Since you don't have kids there is no need to talk about Longwood H.S.

No offense to anyone that does. Middle Island is ok but being that close to Artist lake makes its crime level higher than other places in the area.
A lot of burgs, petit and grand larcenies and some drug activity. Of course it has some decent areas also but you should be careful. My advice is to go to SCPD headquarters or the 7th Precinct in shirley located just south of the LIE exit 68 on the william floyd parkway and request a crime analysis of the area.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:59 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,083,465 times
My brother previously owned over there.Forget it.The complexes look nice but lots of problems and not the safest either.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:19 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,103,060 times
No.

Come back to Rocky Point, the years have been fairly kind.

Sadly Middle Island aint what it used to be.(section 8, crime, drugs etc)

Spend an afternoon at Walmart and Compare foods and let us know what you think.
If you have a preference for Longwood schools. Id check for a small home in Panamoka first.

Good Luck

Crooks

Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM

84 posts, read 491,034 times
Thank you to all for getting back to me on this. You have confirmed my recollections, but like I said, it's been a long time and I wasn't sure if anything had changed. I will tell her to keep searching elsewhere!

Old 04-09-2009, 03:23 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,103,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTiz View Post
Thank you to all for getting back to me on this. You have confirmed my recollections, but like I said, it's been a long time and I wasn't sure if anything had changed. I will tell her to keep searching elsewhere!

Best bet

Have her look for a small house in Ridge/Panamoka if she wants Longwood.

Otherwise look North around Sound Beach or Rocky Point.

Best

Crooks

Old 04-09-2009, 07:22 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,569,886 times
Sound beach has been looking good lately

Old 04-09-2009, 09:26 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,584,521 times
Acquaintances of ours bought a condo at Artist Lake about 4 years ago and are now bitterly regretting it for the reasons given in previous posts. We visited them once for a BBQ which was the first and last time, because the place was unbearably buggy and damp in mid-July. And I feel sorry for whoever eventually ends up with their 1-bedroom condo because it turned out they were keeping a dog, 3 cats, and 2 ferrets! It was kind of ironic because I stayed outside because of my pet allergies but ended up eaten alive by mosquitoes, blackflies and midges; my SO stayed mostly indoors to avoid the outdoor bugs and ended up with fleabites all over his legs and sandaled feet. Ever since then we only get together with this couple at a restaurant and have vowed to never again go anywhere near their condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island