U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,476,074 times

Advertisements

The grout on the kitchen floor in the house my nephew just bought is so filthy that he assumed it was dark brown until I showed him the small area that their table pedestal previously covered up.... yep, the original grout color was almond. Ick!!

After doing some research it appears that the most effective method of truly cleaning dirty grout (instead of having the whole 16x16 area un- and re-grouted) is to have a pro company come in with a steam cleaner/extractor and then have the grout sealed.

There seem to be only two major companies in Suffolk who do this: Stanley Steemer and Chem-Dry. The Chem-Dry companies are apparantly a franchise because there are quite a few of them in the Yellow Pages, all in different locations with names like Atlantic Chem-Dry, Carina Chem-Dry, YukkaMukka (not really) Chem-Dry, etc.

Has anyone here hired either Stanley Steemer or a Chem-Dry franchise to steam-clean and seal a tiled floor, and were you happy with them? Did it really do a good job? Was there any damage to surrounding floors? This is a concern because there are 3 openings to the tiled kitchen floor that are all newly-refinished oak and I'm sure that getting those wet would be a bad thing.

I'm a bit leery of these franchise operations because without a personal recommendation for a specific one, it's impossible to know which ones do good work and which ones don't.

TIA for any feedback/suggestions/etc.

If you have used an independent company I'd like to hear about that too as long as they work in Western Suffolk. I got one recommendation already but after leaving 2 voicemails in the past 5 days and never getting a call back, I've crossed them off my list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 01:18 AM

59 posts, read 130,269 times
I had Stanley Steemer do my floors while they were cleaning my rugs. The tiles cleaning was good, but not worth the money for the amount of time it took unless you physically could not do it yourself.

You could clean the floors yourself with a brush, floor cleaner. Buy the sealer from Home Depot and apply it right after you clean the tile.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:43 AM

1,056 posts, read 630,042 times
yea, do it yourself. its more satisfying.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:18 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,476,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper View Post
...unless you physically could not do it yourself.
Actually that is an issue (lower back disability, bad knee, carpal tunnel/tendonitis) so it's as much for that as for the filthy grout. Hence the focus on having a heavy-duty pro cleaning.

btw, Kenny, just fyi: When you get to the point in life where the first number in your age is a 6... trust me, your body will teach you to pick your battles very carefully when it comes to manual labor! There's usually a price to pay in bodily pain for the "satisfaction" of doing it yourself and sometimes (as in this case) it's just not worth it...

Old 04-17-2009, 08:48 AM

163 posts, read 210,241 times
Did you check the local pennysaver? I found a guy there who re-grouted the "original" bathroom in my co-op stdio apt. (built in 1960). He did a fantastic job and I think it was about $350 (granted this was about 8 yrs ago). It was tough work he did and I even felt bad for him. But that's where I would look. I think his name was Mike....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island