Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 7,546 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...we were thinking of buying a house in North Lindenhurst and noticed there's a train that sort of runs through that area. Does anyone have any info on this line...is it commercial/commuter...when does it run...etc...any info is appreciated...thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:04 AM

294 posts, read 878,903 times
Melissa-
That is the LIRR you saw. See link for the schedule and parking information.

MTA LIRR - Schedules & Fares

Old 04-15-2009, 12:20 PM

40 posts, read 136,354 times
There is a railroad that was once used for freight that run north to south which merges into LIRR .Since you said North lindenhurst I assume the one along N Railroad Ave is the railroad you are talking about .I'll ask my friends in Lindy if it is still used for freight.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:21 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD411 View Post
There is a railroad that was once used for freight that run north to south which merges into LIRR .Since you said North lindenhurst I assume the one along N Railroad Ave is the railroad you are talking about .I'll ask my friends in Lindy if it is still used for freight.
Not sure if it is still used for freight, those tracks are sometimes used for trains going further east than Babylon.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,546 times
Yes, it's N Railroad Ave...it crosses N. Wellwood Ave.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:56 PM

153 posts, read 380,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa80 View Post
Yes, it's N Railroad Ave...it crosses N. Wellwood Ave.
Not sure of the usage other than the Speonk/Montauk trains use this track to connect from Babylon to the Ronkonkoma branch.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:17 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpl View Post
Not sure of the usage other than the Speonk/Montauk trains use this track to connect from Babylon to the Ronkonkoma branch.
That's all these tracks are used for, moving trains between the Main Line and the Montauk Branch....there are no stations on it, and no freight service that I know of, although there are a lot of warehouses in the vicinity of Route 109 (which it runs parallel to) so I could be wrong about that.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:54 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa80 View Post
Hello everyone...we were thinking of buying a house in North Lindenhurst and noticed there's a train that sort of runs through that area. Does anyone have any info on this line...is it commercial/commuter...when does it run...etc...any info is appreciated...thank you!
I think the train (rail line) you are talking about is the old Southside railroad branch that goes diagonally from Farmingdale to Babylon. It crosses N. Wellwood, Straight Path and Sunrise Highway near the town hall. There are no stations but it is still used by some passenger trains to Babylon as well as freight trains. The nearest active station to you will be the Lindenhurst village station on the Montauk (Southshore) line.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I think the train (rail line) you are talking about is the old Southside railroad branch that goes diagonally from Farmingdale to Babylon. It crosses N. Wellwood, Straight Path and Sunrise Highway near the town hall. There are no stations but it is still used by some passenger trains to Babylon as well as freight trains. The nearest active station to you will be the Lindenhurst village station on the Montauk (Southshore) line.
South Side Rail Road was what became the LIRR Babylon/Montauk Branch. The diagonal route between Bethpage/Babylon was part of the Central Rail Road of LI. It originally ran from Flushing to the Fire Island ferry docks in Babylon, but now the only pieces intact are this one and the Hempstead LIRR branch, as well as the extension that the circus trains run on.

There are a lot of excellent web pages on Long Island's railroad history, if anybody is interested. Arrts-Archives has several articles on the Central (click around on the "Stewart" pages, it's the same thing).

Personally, I think we'd do pretty well if they re-activated a lot of these old lines. Here's a picture of a steam engine running on the Main Line in 1900 in Bethpage, this is the same spot where the Central & Main Lines still meet. Pretty cool, huh?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:45 PM

Here's the whole set of articles from Arrts-Archives in order, since they're kinda disjointed on his page:

Central RR Part 1: "The Stewart Line"
Central RR Part 2: "Great Neck Junction / Flushing Branch"
Central RR Part 3: "Flushing to Creedmor (page 1)"
Central RR Part 4: "Flushing to Creedmor (page 2)"
Central RR Part 5: "Bethpage Junction (already linked above)"
Central RR Part 6: "Camp Black, WWI"
Central RR Part 7: "Shuttle Service (page 1)"
Central RR Part 8: "Shuttle Service (page 2)"
Central RR Part 9: "WWII to Present (page 1)"
Central RR Part 10: "WWII to Present (page 2)"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island