Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,752 times

Advertisements

I worked out at RABS in Lynbrook when I was still in High School back in 1979-84. I loved the atmosphere. Guys squatting 600 lbs. benching over 400 and the karate guys. I remember watching Richie Barathy and thinking a bit of a gut and a bad eye I'm not impressed. And then he out of nowhere did a roundhouse kick and swiped the guy next to him in the nose. I said wow. Don't judge people. They didn't seem to care that you didn't pay the membership. Rumor was you paid the deposit $20 and they never asked for anymore. Maybe because we were kids? Or rumor was they made the money on the karate school. I also remember seeing Barathy and Gastinesu cruising Reynolds channel in a go fast. Great memories of that gym. My Mom and Dad still work out at that gym today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,600 times
I know Roaringhams used to go there all the time. It’s funny you mentioned Richie Barathy because I’m watching his movie caged Fury right now. I’m sorry to hear he passed, he was a nice guy

Old 02-26-2020, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,436 times
Kyoshi Barathy was a great man. Along with some of his students. Romeo, DeAngelo brothers, McCaffrey, Greene, Russell. The only one in my opinion who has fell way short of exemplary is M. Willing. He abandoned ACK and Tai-zen..and now has gone off the rails in a new system American Nihon Jiu-Jitsu after a leaving a path of destruction. I have no doubt he will create a beautifully crafted alternative timeline and reality what really occurred. He finds a new group of students that cater to his ego and then tells them a new version of his lies. Then in return gets them to give him a 9th degree. He mills around the ACK site to pick up the scraps. It's shame that he trashes all former instructors and martial artists just to feed his insecurity. It diminishes his time and name in other systems because he destroys his legacy instead of building it. Ossu!!

Old 02-29-2020, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,366 times
Default Richard Barathy

Chief Grand Master Barathy was a great man, my father Dave used to train with him, I remember many years ago in the 80s, we met him at RABS gym in Huntington on rt110, and we drove into the city with Master Richie. We went to Katz deli ,on the lower east side, I remember Master Richie giving out American Combat karate t shirts to homeless people. I even remember what he ordered. He got a pastrami on rye ,a big sandwich; after he was finished eating he bought another sandwich and knishes, we all left and Master Richie gave out the food to homeless people; and I will never forget, a homeless man who introduced himself as matte, he had a black robe and his belly was hanging out, he had no shoes and filthy feet, and he said to Master Richie, i remember you from the Johnny Carson show, and he bowed to Master Richie, Master Richie then took a $100 dollar bill out of his pocket and gave it to him. WOW. The man had tears in his eyes.....years later I remember seeing this man with his own DOJO.I went in, and we talked for about an hour, and he said Master Richie saved his life. God Bless Chief Grand Master Barathy.

Last edited by moe willis; 02-29-2020 at 01:39 PM..

Old 03-04-2020, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,426 times
That's some story Moe...I would think there is some embellishment but I have totally heard a version of this. To reply to DLing85 above. I studied ACK then Tai-zen and have heard some horrible stories about the instructor of whatever style American Nihon JJ is. Is it Tai-zen? is it ACK? or neither. No one knows. Their website is confusing to say the least. Anyway I am a loyal supporter of the two arts I studied in. I wish you all in this forum well. OSSU!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island