Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:40 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi, my name is... View Post
The average cop uses a few sick days and then banks the rest for a payout upon retirement!

The number of hours a cop works is still less than any other profession and basically equal to teachers. This is accurate info - just because you don't like it doesn't make it false!
Wow. Each time I accurately refute one of your many misconceptions, you go in a different direction trying to deflect it. You really can't handle the truth, can you?

Old 04-30-2009, 05:42 PM

60 posts, read 58,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Take a look at the school calendar. School is in session for 180 days (state mandate). Teachers are physically in their buildings for 7 hours each day.

If you want to use PD overtime numbers, then you need to also use the additional monies that teachers earn from afterschool activities, summer school district work, etc. Compare apples with apples.

Again, you're trying to twist the numbers to prove your biased view of police compensation issues.
News flash copper, teachers are not only in class the days the children are! doh!

There is no bias with police compensation, the NCPD and SCPD get paid like executives, have time off like teachers, the benefits of an auto worker in 1940, and the job security of toilet-paper salesmen.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Wow. Each time I accurately refute one of your many misconceptions, you go in a different direction trying to deflect it. You really can't handle the truth, can you?
The cop is still paid for those sick days, that's what you don't get. So whether the cop takes the days or not, he still gets paid for them! You haven't refuted anything, you merely help prove my point!! Thank you officer!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:45 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
You are severly misinformed... teachers work more than 180 days. They also work more than 7 hours. They also do not spend half of their shift in a parking lot reading the newspaper and drinking a cup of coffee. Teachers also cost about $40,000 less in salary alone (average ncpd after OT was $120k, average teacher is $80k). It's no contest who is raping the tax payers..
Are you sure about that? There are a lot more teachers than cops.

Wasn't there a big deal on here recently about the Central Islip teacher who earns over $200K with his "overtime" (afterschool activities and summer activities)? Didn't it state the average CI teacher salary is in the $80's (BEFORE overtime)?

Old 04-30-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
The cop is still paid for those sick days, that's what you don't get. So whether the cop takes the days or not, he still gets paid for them! You haven't refuted anything, you merely help prove my point!! Thank you officer!
There are other employers whose policy is that people get PAID FOR THEIR UNUSED SICK TIME. Mine for example. And I work in the private sector.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Wow. You really twist stuff around. Your contention has been that the cops get those sick days off and are therefore working less days. That's not true. That has nothing to do with whether or not they're paid for them.

You can't even keep your arguments straight. Why don't you just move on. This whole business of trying to keep you honest is getting very tiresome. Too much valuable time wasted on an impossible task.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Are you sure about that? There are a lot more teachers than cops.

Wasn't there a big deal on here recently about the Central Islip teacher who earns over $200K with his "overtime" (afterschool activities and summer activities)? Didn't it state the average CI teacher salary is in the $80's (BEFORE overtime)?

Thank you. My point exactly. If you want to compare, compare apples to apples.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
If you want to use PD overtime numbers, then you need to also use the additional monies that teachers earn from afterschool activities, summer school district work, etc. Compare apples with apples.
He won't bring that up. On another thread they went nuts over the CI teacher who makes over $200K with his afterschool and summer school activities as an "anamoly." He also will compare LI teachers as "professionals with master's degrees" who should earn equivalent to what NYC professionals earn. Never mind that the average private sector wage on LI is pitiful compared to that of NYC and the teacher world is topsy turvy where the NYC teacher is compensated much less than the LI teacher.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
the NCPD and SCPD get paid like executives, have time off like teachers, the benefits of an auto worker in 1940, and the job security of toilet-paper salesmen.
Same goes for LI public school teachers. It is insane to argue that one is "bad off" compared to the other. Think about it!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
He won't bring that up. On another thread they went nuts over the CI teacher who makes over $200K with his afterschool and summer school activities as an "anamoly." He also will compare LI teachers as "professionals with master's degrees" who should earn equivalent to what NYC professionals earn. Never mind that the average private sector wage on LI is pitiful compared to that of NYC and the teacher world is topsy turvy where the NYC teacher is compensated much less than the LI teacher.
Guess what - being paid for sick days is an anamoly! Just because a few spare employers do pay out for sick days (I'd like to know who) doesn't mean it's a benefit afforded to everyone.

And the 200k teacher is not nearly as bad as the cops who cash out 450k worth of sick and vacation time. Teachers must contribute to their healthcare and their pension - cops do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island