Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Given the current economic meltdown, are the Police on Long Island overpaid?
Yes 68 45.33%
No 82 54.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
There are no teachers at risk in my SD budget. The things that are being threatened will not affect any teacher's job.

I do not want the power to "fire" individual teachers, administrators, or any other school district worker by vote. However, I do think the 21st century wages and the 1950s cradle-to-grave benefits package their unions shove down our throats is getting kind of old, ESPECIALLY considering how it takes almost half the budgets. Something's got to give and we should have more control over these costs and the unions need to get real. I know some are making small concessions. At least that is a start.
They aren't shoved down anyones throat, the school board negotiates them and approves them. Your issue should be with the school board, the same way gratuitous police compensation is the result of corrupt politicians giving the PBA everything it wants. Now, when a cop comes on here and tells me that aren't overcompensated, I tell them to shove it, because they simply want the gravy train to roll on.

Despite what some will tell you, teachers compensation is not the same as cops..trust me, if it was, I wouldn't be working. However, I don't think it's unfair to ask the teachers to give back considering the current situation, and in my case..I have seen give backs. The amount I have to spend on health care has gone up thousands since my wife started working full time, because her union has agreed to pay more in.

Should the padding of salaries with the increase of credits past masters be curtailed? I think so. Should the annual raises be cut back? Perhaps. Of course, I put myself out here while the cops refuse to budge A FRIGGIN INCH ever, but..hey, I have a conscience, they apparently don't. I'm not particularly fond of the level of arrogance from LI police I've seen on internet message boards. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I still am.

Of course, all of us are attacking teachers and cops because we're getting squeezed in private industry, to the point where we are effectively making half what our parents did in similar positions. I blame Reagan for that, not cops and teachers.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:14 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,542 times
Dman

To be fair, I think that is a good point. Of our entire tax budget for every service, we pay 46% to school administrators and teachers. I'd be curious to see how that stacks up against other successful school districts around the country.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Unreal. That level of pay and benefits for the teachers and administrators IS A LOT HIGHER THAN ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE COUNTRY. Head and shoulders above anywhere else in the country. (I am sure the staff may get the 1950s cradle to grave benefits but are woefully underpaid because they aren't in a union like the teachers and don't have the power like the administrators.)

Well, if teachers are the only things necessary, perhaps we should just have the teachers and students meet on the street somewhere ... no school buildings, no computers, no supplies, no nothing ... and of course, have the administrators and other personnel (secretaries, janitors, etc.) standing by ... and we can save a lot of money if we get rid of everything else. Is that the way to do it? The payroll and benefits are the only thing that matters, nothing else?

After all, arrangements like this were good enough for Socrates, Plato, etc.
You see, you just can't control yourself for a nano second..who said they are the only thing necessary? Don't you think the biggest expense in almost any public agency is payroll? They aren't producing widgets or hamburgers, they provide service. A company that provides legal service, what percentage of their charges is hourly building as opposed to sticky notes? Use your brain.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Dman

To be fair, I think that is a good point. Of our entire tax budget for every service, we pay 46% to school administrators and teachers. I'd be curious to see how that stacks up against other successful school districts around the country.
You honestly think that less than 50% of school budgets anywhere in the country goes to payroll? I think you're probably wrong.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:17 PM

Dman,

Yeah, Reagan is to blame for LI's long history of corrupt politicians, wasteful spending, union side-deals, etc.

Oh brother.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:18 PM

Apparently 49% of the budget in Lake Placid is payroll

The Press Republican - Placid school levy up 3.97% if budget passes

Old 05-19-2009, 01:19 PM

Uncertain state funding leads to conservative school budget | Chaska Herald Mobile (http://mobile.chaskaherald.com/news/school-board/uncertain-state-funding-leads-conservative-school-budget-102 - broken link)

80% here, Mobile somewhere or other.

Next angle, folks,.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You honestly think that less than 50% of school budgets anywhere in the country goes to payroll? I think you're probably wrong.
No, I said 46% of every taxable service. If 46% of my entire tax budget (for everything...police, fire, etc.) goes to school payroll, that seems like a hell of a lot.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Default dman

I've gotta run but the issue is not SOLELY the individual school boards. The unions collude together with a "monkey see monkey do" attitude and all want what the other has. The unions can hold even the most budget conscious school boards hostage for the most part because if one SD union gets more money, more perks, etc., the rest are focused on raising hell if they don't get it too. It has been that way for several years. Today's school boards are not dealing with problems of their own making for the most part, but with a payroll and benefits situation that has been growing unchecked and out of control for at least the past 40 years.

PS: It is the same for the LI police in that their payroll and benefits situation has also been growing unchecked and out of control for at least the past 40 years. (And, yes, the police gravy train is better than the teachers have, but you have to admit the teachers have the 2nd best gravy train on LI ... and knowing how many, many more teachers we need than cops, that is a considerable feat.)

Old 05-19-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Dman,

Yeah, Reagan is to blame for LI's long history of corrupt politicians, wasteful spending, union side-deals, etc.

Oh brother.

Reagan is a major part of the blame for crushing the middle class in private industry, leading to us complaining about what publc sector employees are paid. Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island