Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Given the current economic meltdown, are the Police on Long Island overpaid?
Yes 68 45.33%
No 82 54.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:42 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvtanner4787w View Post
PLEASE!! Dedicate some time and educate yourself. Take a deep look at the life style these men and women adapt to.Have you ever been shot at,had a knife waived at you ? how much is it worth ?
I did one of those for free, several times.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
He may be a thief and a lousy human being but it takes a certain level of smarts to pull off a scam that huge for that long.
Didn't his kids turn him in? If they didn't, he might still be at it. There are evil geniuses everywhere. And most eventually get caught. Episode of Murder by the Book:

Tonica Jenkins, a classic sociopath from East Cleveland was called an "evil genius". In 1997, Tonica Jenkins used fake documents to get into an exclusive Yale University neurobiology degree course. This was just the beginning. In order to avoid jail time for a cocaine charge, she came up with a plan to steal a new identity and then kill the other person.

Too bad Tonica is in jail. She may have made a better CEO of H-P than Carly Fiorina.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:47 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
Quote:
yet they somehow got themselves into positions that pay them millions. they may not be brilliant thinkers but that makes them pretty damn smart in my book...
A lot of times it's who you know, who your parents know and where you went to school. Nothing wrong with that but it doesn't mean that you're brilliant. Show me a CEO that can succeed when times are tough and replicate that success several more times and I'll call him brilliant. Otherwise he just got lucky. I will admit that being lucky does tend to pay well.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:25 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Didn't his kids turn him in? If they didn't, he might still be at it. There are evil geniuses everywhere. And most eventually get caught. Episode of Murder by the Book:

Tonica Jenkins, a classic sociopath from East Cleveland was called an "evil genius". In 1997, Tonica Jenkins used fake documents to get into an exclusive Yale University neurobiology degree course. This was just the beginning. In order to avoid jail time for a cocaine charge, she came up with a plan to steal a new identity and then kill the other person.

Too bad Tonica is in jail. She may have made a better CEO of H-P than Carly Fiorina.
And NeoCon Veep hopeful too.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:41 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,579,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1219 View Post
We live in a first world nation. The benefits and salaries that the long island police force earn are fair and match the costs of living on long island ( i see very few people on these boards that believe their home prices are too high and willing to allow their property values to deflate in order to match the incomes). What is wrong with going back to single income house holds?-I understand the envy and anger against the cops and teachers because a lot of professionals with skills no longer have these benefits. However instead of trying to bust unions, perhaps there is a need to demand more rights for other workers. We need to protect the salaried professionals that work 60 hours a week without overtime. We need to demand more from businesses. Look at the separation of wealth here in the United States. We are attacking useful and necessary civil servants instead of the ruling classes and CEOs. I swear, I wish I could move to France.
Maybe we should outsource our cops and the 911 dispatching operations to India. We would save a ton of money.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:11 PM

60 posts, read 58,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Maybe we should outsource our cops and the 911 dispatching operations to India. We would save a ton of money.
No one is saying that... but let's just say if their base decreased by $20k and they didn't get the sick time payout and overtime didn't get counted into the pension calculation... that would save a significant amount of money for the county while still enabling the cops an excellent lifestyle. The cops can make lots of money with overtime. the average NCPD makes approximately 125k after overtime. If the average made 105, do you think all of a sudden no one would want to be a ncpd cop anymore??

Old 04-28-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi, my name is... View Post
No one is saying that... but let's just say if their base decreased by $20k and they didn't get the sick time payout and overtime didn't get counted into the pension calculation... that would save a significant amount of money for the county while still enabling the cops an excellent lifestyle. The cops can make lots of money with overtime. the average NCPD makes approximately 125k after overtime. If the average made 105, do you think all of a sudden no one would want to be a ncpd cop anymore??
How many cops are there in NCPD?

Old 04-28-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
We would save on jail costs too. One of the MOs of the cops in India is to beat the $^#^$&*^ out of people to teach them a lesson and NOT arrest them so there's no official record of the brutality. There's a lot more poverty yet much less street crime over there. Maybe that's why. Nassau-Suffolk is routinely rated one of the safest places to live in the country. If we had Indian cops who do things the way they do there, maybe we would have no crime at all (except white collar of course). Best thing is, the come dirt CHEAP!

Old 04-28-2009, 05:47 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,579,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi, my name is... View Post
LOL, That's ridiculous! Their incentive for the pay out is not to call in sick. The cops cash out at 50% per sick day accrued as opposed to 100% if they took the day off and didn't save it and that doesn't figure in if someone was called in for overtime at time and a half to fill his or her position.

As for not figuring overtime. That's funny. A cop comes in on his day off or extends his shift and you don't want it to count? Absurd.

Police are not only entrusted to save lives but make a split second decision to end a life as well. I can't put a price on that kind of trust and responsibility.

and again I salute our military , Firefighters, Police, EMT's , Teachers, and and all of our heros that we take for granted everyday.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:10 PM

138 posts, read 270,561 times
Quote:
yet they somehow got themselves into positions that pay them millions. they may not be brilliant thinkers but that makes them pretty damn smart in my book...
"If you can take advantage of a situation in some way, it's your duty as an American to do it. Why should the race always be to the swift or the jumble to the quick-witted? Should they be allowed to win merely because of the gifts God gave them? Well, I say cheating is the gift man gives himself!"....Quote from Mr Burns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island