Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Given the current economic meltdown, are the Police on Long Island overpaid?
Yes 68 45.33%
No 82 54.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:49 AM

10 posts, read 15,927 times

Advertisements

Oh what the hell... Lets just bring all of our troops back to the United States and take their pay from them, then while we are at it we can just ditch the fire departments and ambulance crews, and close down all the hospitals and schools too. Not really any need for those road crews so lets just get rid of those too.

These would save you all your tax money. I mean thats what this thread is truly about. Right? I read through it over and over. All I see is a bunch of boohoo crybabies because they have to pay taxes. You just pick the Police Department as your target to lower taxes. I got bad news for you, even if your dumb plan to take money from the Police Department would actually work then the Government would just give themselves raises. You will forever pay taxes.. GET OVER IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Let's keep raising taxes, they've earned it!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:30 PM

532 posts, read 1,269,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Big Jim" View Post
Oh what the hell... Lets just bring all of our troops back to the United States and take their pay from them, then while we are at it we can just ditch the fire departments and ambulance crews, and close down all the hospitals and schools too. Not really any need for those road crews so lets just get rid of those too.

These would save you all your tax money. I mean thats what this thread is truly about. Right? I read through it over and over. All I see is a bunch of boohoo crybabies because they have to pay taxes. You just pick the Police Department as your target to lower taxes. I got bad news for you, even if your dumb plan to take money from the Police Department would actually work then the Government would just give themselves raises. You will forever pay taxes.. GET OVER IT!
Now I get it, these are the the words of a non-tax payer. A child, ward of the state or someone living by the good graces of others. Best of luck "Big Jim". I concede the argument as lost.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:13 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:

Ummm...Big Jim, aren't you a long islander who left the region because of the high cost of living and are now elsewhere. I assume you are happy with your new locations tax structure and public expenses. So you are probably paying exactly the same amount of taxes as you were where, correct???

Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstrider View Post
Are you out of your mind?!!!!!

Are you saying that you can tell they are paid to much because of the amount of people applying for the job? It's the high (and definitely worth it) pay that allows the NCPD and SCPD choose only the best. The high pay brings out thousands of applicants and allows those Departments to be picky and choose the best of the best.

Look at the NYPD. A few years ago they dropped the starting pay and their applicant choices dropped. They were at the point where they were taking ex-criminals into the academy. This is not an over exaggeration, the NYPD was hiring people who were arrested for felonies but only charged with misdemeanors (due to plea deals etc.) Criminals were being trusted to watch over the people.

The high pay is necessary for a larger pool of people to choose from.
If you capped it at 90k as the other poster referenced, and added in the other benefits, the line of applicants would not change by even one person. I am not arguing what they SHOULD be paid or what cops are worth, but if you are honest with yourself you realize nobody would suddenly march off of those application lines under that salary structure.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
Taxes is part of being an American. If you dont want to pay taxes then you dont want to be an American! If anything you should be happy with the taxes you are paying. Soon or later they are going to raise more taxes to meet the debt we have the China which is in the trillions.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Now I get it, these are the the words of a non-tax payer. A child, ward of the state or someone living by the good graces of others. Best of luck "Big Jim". I concede the argument as lost.
Yes I pay taxes. Even though I really don't like them at times they need to be there. Life is not free and some of us can except that. A Child?... sure, I have 5! Ward of the state?... Nope. Living by the good graces of others? .... that one is funny... Looks like you are "0-4" so yes indeed you are "lost".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Ummm...Big Jim, aren't you a long islander who left the region because of the high cost of living and are now elsewhere. I assume you are happy with your new locations tax structure and public expenses. So you are probably paying exactly the same amount of taxes as you were where, correct???

Wow! what a dumb post... Where do you think I live exactly? This could be very entertaining... I find it funny you would talk about other area's taxes. Do you think we live in the twilight zone or something? Do you think other area's do not pay taxes?

Old 05-14-2009, 02:27 AM

10 posts, read 19,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
If you capped it at 90k as the other poster referenced, and added in the other benefits, the line of applicants would not change by even one person. I am not arguing what they SHOULD be paid or what cops are worth, but if you are honest with yourself you realize nobody would suddenly march off of those application lines under that salary structure.
I'll bet you a million dollars it would. Currently the NYPD (after their last raise) is making just over $90,000. Add in overtime that you want to eliminate, add in the fact that their are A LOT more openings there plus the requirements are not as strict. Now throw in the NYPD's unlimited sick leave and $12,000 a year (on top of retirement pension) Variable Supplement. Don't forget that statistically speaking being a cop in NYC is safer then the counties and watch how fast the talent pool dry up in the counties while the city takes all the best recruits.

Yeah, the lines would diminish and you would be left with NYPD cast offs. Good luck enjoying the suburban life while crime rises and your over inflated house value that you paid to much for drops to **** even further.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:33 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstrider View Post
I'll bet you a million dollars it would. Currently the NYPD (after their last raise) is making just over $90,000. Add in overtime that you want to eliminate, add in the fact that their are A LOT more openings there plus the requirements are not as strict. Now throw in the NYPD's unlimited sick leave and $12,000 a year (on top of retirement pension) Variable Supplement. Don't forget that statistically speaking being a cop in NYC is safer then the counties and watch how fast the talent pool dry up in the counties while the city takes all the best recruits.

Yeah, the lines would diminish and you would be left with NYPD cast offs. Good luck enjoying the suburban life while crime rises and your over inflated house value that you paid to much for drops to **** even further.

Nice try Mr. Long Island PO.

Let's see, I sign up for NYPD, and they put me in the 75 East New York...or any of the other dozen or so really dangerous precincts....yeah, I'll pass on the same money in Suffolk..where I probably grew up...where. statistically speaking, the biggest danger is getting in a traffic accident. I keep hearing guys say "Suffolk cops take bullets", yet not one has pointed to an actual Suffolk cop being killed in the line of duty by shooting.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
not one has pointed to an actual Suffolk cop being killed in the line of duty by shooting.

Its a general fact that Cops get shot at. Some may not encounter it as often but it only takes 1 time. 1 single shot to the head and good bye cop. Nobody cares when or whether it as happened "recently". The fact is cops are at risk while saving your butt and keeping you safe. And you want to spit in their faces by taking away their pay? As my original post stated... YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF! But I know I am dealing with heartless greedy people that don't want to pay their taxes.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:00 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Its a general fact that Cops get shot at. Some may not encounter it as often but it only takes 1 time. 1 single shot to the head and good bye cop. Nobody cares when or whether it as happened "recently". The fact is cops are at risk while saving your butt and keeping you safe. And you want to spit in their faces by taking away their pay? As my original post stated... YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF! But I know I am dealing with heartless greedy people that don't want to pay their taxes.
Nice troll work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island