Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a worse blight on Long Island and America
Illegal immigrants, employed or eagerly seeking employment 14 46.67%
Legal residents who are chronically unemployed but cared for by the state because of misrepresented disabilities 16 53.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:56 AM

153 posts, read 379,578 times

Advertisements

Laborers here illegally, but employed

US Citizens here legally, not working and being provided for by the state by misrepresenting a disability.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:04 AM

7,801 posts, read 10,068,372 times
Both are a drain equally. Alot of people don't know this, but 40% of the New York State government's budget is for welfare programs.

The effects of illegal immigration are more at the municipal and federal levels rather then the state and county levels.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:24 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,726,931 times
What a one sided poll.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:34 AM

153 posts, read 379,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
What a one sided poll.

Yeah, in hindsight the 2 choices are pretty weak. I've read so many posts of the illegal immigrant problems on LI I sometimes question the motivation of those most vocal.

Perhaps a better question, who would you rather have as a neighbor:

A chronically unemployed white citizen of questionable character or an illegal immigrant with a work ethic.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:58 AM

102 posts, read 296,399 times
Both actually suck. The illegals should be kicked out and the lazy bastards who won't work be forced to take the jobs the illegals did. JMHO

Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,110,371 times
This poll sucks

Old 04-27-2009, 12:15 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,197,412 times
What you are missing is that illegal immigrants make plenty of welfare recipients entitled to full benefits from birth and for their parent(s) to stay here on welfare as caretakers because they are born on US soil ... anchor babies. So the father works off the books and the mother and child(ren) get full welfare benefits. Plus, illegal immigrants are over-represented in the jail population (gangbangers, drug dealers, etc.) when compared to legal immigrants, so they cost us more that way too. When you look at the monthly payout for SSI it is literally a PITTANCE compared to the multiple forms of damage illegal aliens can do to our tax dollars.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:16 PM

102 posts, read 296,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What you are missing is that illegal immigrants make plenty of welfare recipients entitled to full benefits from birth and for their parent(s) to stay here on welfare as caretakers because they are born on US soil ... anchor babies. So the father works off the books and the mother and child(ren) get full welfare benefits. Plus, illegal immigrants are over-represented in the jail population (gangbangers, drug dealers, etc.) when compared to legal immigrants, so they cost us more that way too. When you look at the monthly payout for SSI it is literally a PITTANCE compared to the multiple forms of damage illegal aliens can do to our tax dollars.
Well put.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:48 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,477,039 times
With illegal immigrants, the state & federal government receives no income tax revenue on the wages end....however, they are still paying sales tax and contributing to the property taxes of whatever apartment/house they are renting. With the disability collector, there is no tax collection whatsoever...it's just a viscous cycle where every cent they spend (including living quarters) is entirely taxpayer funded. I can't see how the former is more costly at any government level than the latter. Even with healthcare, any ER is only going to take an illegal immigrant if it is an absolute emergency (like they cut their arms off and are bleeding to death). Much less of a burden than someone who doesn't have to pay for checkups and flu shots.

I'd like to see some figures as to what welfare is paid out to illegal immigrant anchor baby parents, I seriously doubt the number is very high....at least not in NY. I've known several illegals on LI and they're usually single males in their 20s or 30s, some make some money and go back home others eventually take the steps towards becoming citizens. I haven't seen many who come here to start a family and remain non-citizens.

In terms of respect, I have much more of it for anyone who works hard...I don't care if they were born in Tijuana or Oyster Bay Cove.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:36 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,571,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I don't know why that works here. If you have a child in Germany while serving in the Military they will inform you that the child can return at the age of 18 and go to the university for free. Until then the child is considered a duel citizen but the family has to return to the staes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island