Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:31 PM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times

Advertisements

Jennifer,I live in GC. I haven't really noticed the Asian population growing. I think it would be misleading to say there is one of any significance in GC. Herricks (Williston Park, Searingtown), Douglaston, Plainview, Syosset, Jericho all have much much more active Asian communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 03:39 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Herricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Herricks (Williston Park, Searingtown) ...

Herricks can be very geographically confusing because it is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address.

For those who may not be familiar with Herricks:

Herricks is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southwest section of the Town of North Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Herricks in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Searingtown; on the east by the Hamlet of Albertson; on the south by the Village of Mineola and the Hamlet of Garden City Park; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/Herricks-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Herricks is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Herricks have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040", "Roslyn, NY 11576" and "Williston Park, NY 11596" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 04-30-2009, 04:42 PM

748 posts, read 2,887,208 times
I recently bought a 4 bed/3bath home in West-Jericho ( Westbury address/Jericho School district) on a 8000 sq ft lot on the same budget. I am Indian, but my neighbors are Korean, and there is plenty of diversity in my neighborhood ( Chinese, African-American, Jewish, Italian, etc). All my neighbors love Jericho schools, though my daughter has not started school yet.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:22 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Jericho

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I recently bought a 4 bed/3bath home in West-Jericho ( Westbury address/Jericho School district)

Mazel tov, WJFM.

The West Jericho neighborhood is in the southwest part of the Hamlet of Jericho; the part of the Hamlet of Jericho that has a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address).

For those who may not be familiar with Jericho:

Jericho is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center-west part of the Town of Oyster Bay in the central part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/North Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Jericho in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Village of Old Westbury, the Village of Brookville, the Village of Muttontown and the Hamlet of Syosset; on the east by the Hamlet of Syosset and the Hamlet of Hicksville; on the south by the Hamlet of Hicksville and the Hamlet of New Cassel in the Town of North Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/North Hempstead town line); and, on the west by the Village of Westbury in the Town of North Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/North Hempstead town line) and the Village of Old Westbury.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e9/Jericho-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of Jericho has a different border than does the "Jericho, NY 11753" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Jericho, NY 11753" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Jericho and a place can be in the Hamlet of Jericho and have other than a "Jericho, NY 11753" mailing address): places that have a "Jericho, NY 11753" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Jericho are in the Village of Brookville, the Village of Muttontown, the Village of Old Westbury, the Hamlet of Syosset and the Hamlet of Hicksville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Jericho that have a "Westbury, NY 11590" and "Hicksville, NY 11801" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 05-12-2009, 05:46 PM

28 posts, read 79,236 times
Look into Merrick too!
Very nice - with VERY GOOD SCHOOLS!!!!
Only 40 min . by train to Manhattan.
Many professionlas lives in Merrick .
easy comute
close to beaches
close to shoping
close to highway
close to parks, playgrounds,
people takes care of their property
and not so expensive like the North Shore.
except Merrick South - close to water.
for a 750' - 780' you get a 4 bedrooms - 3 baths - new construction -anad you have a nice size back yard too...

Old 05-12-2009, 06:12 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Merrick

Merrick, too, can be geographically confusing because about one-out-of-every-three-places with a "Merrick, NY 11566" mailing address (3,860 acres) is NOT in the Hamlet of Merrick (2,647 acres).

For those who may not be familiar with Merrick:

Merrick is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center-south part of the Town of Hempstead, in the central-south part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Merrick in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Merrick and the Hamlet of North Bellmore; on the east by the Hamlet of Bellmore; on the south by the East Bay and Merrick Bay; and, on the west by the Village of Freeport.

The Hamlet of Merrick has a different border than does the "Merrick, NY 11566" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Merrick, NY 11566" address and not be in the Hamlet of Merrick and a place can be in the Hamlet of Merrick and have other than a "Merrick, NY 11566" mailing address): places that have a "Merrick, NY 11566" that are not in the Hamlet of Merrick are in the Hamlet of North Merrick and the Hamlet of North Bellmore; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Merrick that have a "Freeport, NY 11520" mailing address.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:59 PM

7 posts, read 78,797 times
thanks for the advice alexander...i think we might have found the "one" in Garden City...

Old 05-20-2009, 08:09 PM

42 posts, read 143,716 times
I live off Searingtown road in the Herricks school district and my daughter attends 2nd grade. The school population is 50% Asian (equally divided between Korean, Chinese, and Indian) and 50% White. The school is excellent and their are many extracurricular activities for the kids. The Mineola and Merrilon Ave LIRR stations are 2 miles away. I work on Wall St and it takes me less than 90 mins door to door commute. The houses in the Herricks school district towns are what you are looking for.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:38 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
[quote=twingles;8560628]GC has good schools no matter where you are. The town's borders are contiguous with the school district. If you are in GC, you get GC schools.
GC has its own police, sanitation, park and recs dept, etc. Hence the taxes.[/QUOT

Not completely true. A very small portion of GC (near Lydia Drive on GC/GCS border) go to Franklin Square schools.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 9,001 times
Garden City's Asian community is growing. There is a Large Asian Grocer "VT Market" just 5 minutes south in Hempstead. My wife(She's Asian) and I just bought in the Mott for 599K and have an 8000 sq ft. lot. It's a great time to buy in GC! The home we bought needs updating but the location is great, 12 minute walk to Mineola station which has many trains that run 36 minutes to Penn Station.

We were looking in Great Neck, Syosset, Jericho and Herricks as well. Our search was strongly influenced by School district and proximity to NYC. Great Neck didn't offer any homes that appealed to us in our range, Syosset and Jericho seemed to have an abundance of sumps and highway noise. Herricks had some opportunities but did not offer a community like GC does. Having a central shopping district, a "Main Street" was very important to us, 7th Street in Garden City fit the bill.

Since we moved in it just got better and better. The activities for our children are wonderful and our neighbors are incredibly friendly. I was blown away by how many people went out of there way to meet us, I know more people in my GC neighborhood then I ever did in my old neighborhood (and I lived there for nearly 10 years).

Last edited by gbpanache; 09-08-2009 at 04:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island