Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 03:29 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times

Advertisements

To the OP...I dont know your situation with your insurance premiums or if the practice your working for covers it. But I have a few family members that are Dr's telling me the insurance premiums are ridiculously insane. Just something you may want to look into. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 03:50 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,850 times
alamarina,
As a LI transplant from NE Philly, with earlier roots around 5th & Shunk, my first response is "BRING ME SOME CHEESESTEAKS WHEN YOU COME UP HERE!"

As far as where to live, I do think Huntington would be the best place for you. Dix Hills can be compared to Cherry Hill, and it borders Commack, is convenient to the LIE and not a long trip to the LIRR if you prefer to use that to get to Manhattan. Garden City or Rockville Center could be another good choice.

But if I had my choice between pretty much anywhere on LI or a place like Haddonfield, NJ, I think I'd stay in S. Jersey.

Adding to what Rocafeller mentioned, I have heard similar, and in fact know one Dr here on LI who lasted only a year on LI. After he literally saved my wife's life, he often complained to me that it was impossible to practice medicine in NY State, and shortly left here for CA where he has been very happy.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:09 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
To the OP...I dont know your situation with your insurance premiums or if the practice your working for covers it. But I have a few family members that are Dr's telling me the insurance premiums are ridiculously insane. Just something you may want to look into. Good luck.
It depends on your specialty. I don't think NJ is any better, though--it's the state of the 40% CS rate. I believe it was on the AMA med-mal crisis list. PA enacted reform, but it hasn't lowered premiums (at best it's lowered the rate of increase).

Old 05-18-2009, 09:57 AM

21 posts, read 84,938 times
Default Thank you all very much

First, I want to thank you all so much for your help. I am still weighing this decision and the geography is very confusing. To Coachgns: I can't believe you're a South Philly guy...so am I. I went to Furness Junior High right near where you grew up and then to Central. I grew up on 13th and Moore and had an office on 13th and Ritner for 17 years before moving to Marlton, NJ. I was Chief of Dermatology at Methodist Hospital for those years. And..........my cousin owns Chickie and Pete's, a NE Philly hotspot. Since I'll still be working here 2 days a week I'd be glad to bring you some cheesesteaks (Pat's or Geno's), soft pretzels, cannolis, and Italiano's homemade water ice (11th and Shunk). Or some blue crabs in garlic sauce or mussels red or white from Chickie and Pete's (my grandmother's recipes). I actually have the business manager of the LI practice coming to visit today so I will soon have to make a decision. Thank you again.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:16 AM

Default Ps

By the way, for any docs reading this, my premiums are not bad, much better than PA but since a lot of what I do is cosmetic, I am subject to the NJ Cosmetic Tax of 7% on all cosmetic procedures. This includes anything from laser hair removal to hair transplantation to liposuction to breast implants and teeth bleaching. We are the only State in the Union with the gall to pass such a tax. It was voted down last year by 100% of the legislature but our wonderful Gov Corzine vetoed it. So by moving out of state I get an immediate 7% raise. NJ is in deep trouble financially. They even stopped paying for police forces in many towns.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:08 PM

I've never been to Chickie & Pete's, even though I often am a few blocks away visiting my mother in assisted living there.

My cousin was class president at FUrness - but that was back in 1961 0r 62. I was a grad of Washington HS - first class.
If you want some assistance acclimating to LawnGuyLind, feel free to PM me & we can get in touch. I live around the corner from one of the offices of a major dermatology practice here on LI - wonder if that's the practice you're going to.

As for the Cheesesteaks, my Gastro has just forbidden them - temporarily.
But I think I can do soft pretels, sans mustard.
And I certainly can have that handmade Wauderice.

GO PHILLIES!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarina View Post
First, I want to thank you all so much for your help. I am still weighing this decision and the geography is very confusing. To Coachgns: I can't believe you're a South Philly guy...so am I. I went to Furness Junior High right near where you grew up and then to Central. I grew up on 13th and Moore and had an office on 13th and Ritner for 17 years before moving to Marlton, NJ. I was Chief of Dermatology at Methodist Hospital for those years. And..........my cousin owns Chickie and Pete's, a NE Philly hotspot. Since I'll still be working here 2 days a week I'd be glad to bring you some cheesesteaks (Pat's or Geno's), soft pretzels, cannolis, and Italiano's homemade water ice (11th and Shunk). Or some blue crabs in garlic sauce or mussels red or white from Chickie and Pete's (my grandmother's recipes). I actually have the business manager of the LI practice coming to visit today so I will soon have to make a decision. Thank you again.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
I've never been to Chickie & Pete's, even though I often am a few blocks away visiting my mother in assisted living there.

My cousin was class president at FUrness - but that was back in 1961 0r 62. I was a grad of Washington HS - first class.
If you want some assistance acclimating to LawnGuyLind, feel free to PM me & we can get in touch. I live around the corner from one of the offices of a major dermatology practice here on LI - wonder if that's the practice you're going to.

As for the Cheesesteaks, my Gastro has just forbidden them - temporarily.
But I think I can do soft pretels, sans mustard.
And I certainly can have that handmade Wauderice.

GO PHILLIES!!!!

Whudaboutdacannolis? Thank you again for your kind replies. Just knowing there's one other South Philly guy on LI is extremely heartwarming. As for your doc, I'm guessing he just didn't have the hardened exterior we South Philly guys have. Probably way too nice of a guy You'll never get me to LA LA LAND. I had a great offer in Beverly Hills a couple of years ago and after a week there couldn't wait to be back among rude, coarse, aggressive Easterners. At least they're real.

I'll be going to Roslyn on Tuesday for the "big meeting" with the practice. I think I'm going to take the risk and make a move. I'd really appreciate your guidance if this goes forward and will definitely PM you. If the practice you live near have offices from Manhattan to Stoneybrook then that's the one. More details later and have a great weekend everyone.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:29 AM

If you are going to Roslyn to meet with them, then it IS the practice I go to. Yes, they have offices all over LI & in Manhattan, and what I think is their MAIN office is around the corner from where I live. The street # is 3 digits, beginning with 16?

Old 05-25-2009, 07:37 AM

You got it!! I'll be seeing patients there with the chief doc from 9-1, then lunch, then talk, then decision time. By the way, do they have a good rep on the island?

Old 05-25-2009, 11:07 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Roslyn

alamarina, you need to be aware that about 9 out of every 10 places that have a "Roslyn, NY 11576" mailing address (3,496 acres) are not in the Village of Roslyn (381 acres), and there are 9 communities (7 villages and 2 hamlets) that are at least partially within the borders of the "Roslyn, NY 11576" ZIP Code postal zone.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) the place where you are going that has a "Roslyn, NY 11576" mailing address is located by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

For those who may not be familiar with Roslyn:

Roslyn is a village (incorporated in 1932) in the center-east part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the north-central part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Roslyn in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Flower Hill, the Hamlet of Port Washington, Hempstead Harbor and the Village of Roslyn Harbor; on the east by the Village of East Hills; on the south by the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights; and, on the west by the Village of Roslyn Estates and the Village of Flower Hill.

Roslyn is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places that have a "Roslyn, NY 11576" mailing address that are not in the Village of Roslyn are in the Village of Roslyn Harbor, the Village of East Hills, the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights, the Village of Roslyn Estates, the Hamlet of Searingtown, the Village of North Hills, the Village of Flower Hill and the Village of Old Westbury.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island