Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 03:50 PM

21 posts, read 84,884 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Greetings from South Jersey. I'm a doc here, 55 yo with a wife and a dog. My daughter is starting college so we're thinking of making a move. I was offered a decent job paying $350,000. I will have to travel to multiple offices in LI including Fresh Meadows, Roslyn, Comack, Stonybrook, and Manhattan each week. I'm looking to rent a townhome or condo with a yard initially and we really don't need anything big. Not interested in living amongst arrogant snooty people, I grew up in Philly's "Little Italy." Any suggestions? I would stay here but the drive is about 3 hours each way. However, I have a lovely house on 16 acres in the Pinelands right next to the state forest and am considering staying up there a few nights a week instead of moving. I'm going back tomorrow to take a second look at the offices and to get a better feel for LI. Any advice about towns, conditions, would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 04:18 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Those areas are pretty spread out - you might like Huntington which is pretty diverse and has a number of neighbors with different "feels" so you might be able to find one you like.

good luck!

Old 05-03-2009, 04:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

alamarina, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:59 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
There are a fair few condo complexes in eastern Nassau and I would look into them. You've got quite a spread of locations and eastern Nassau would be the most centrally located area. Some of the newer, swisher ones will probably not be your cup of tea (I won't name names, but you'll see the gates and the types of cars--not hard to tell...)

Rentals can be tricky. I'd see what's actually available in terms of size and features first.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:01 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Welcome to LI

Whre 350k a year is considered decent.

; )

Check out Babylon area.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:29 PM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times
If $350,000 a year is decent, then I must be a wretched peasant

Alamarina...most nice condo complexes with yards have snotty people in them, so its going to be hard finding what you want. I'd recommend looking near golf courses. I think Old Westbury might have some nice condos. It's central to where you are looking for and it is a beautiful wooded area.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Old Westbury=fairly snooty.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:41 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Old Westbury=fairly snooty.
Wesbury Classic=Not so much.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarina View Post
Hi all,

Greetings from South Jersey. I'm a doc here, 55 yo with a wife and a dog. My daughter is starting college so we're thinking of making a move. I was offered a decent job paying $350,000. I will have to travel to multiple offices in LI including Fresh Meadows, Roslyn, Comack, Stonybrook, and Manhattan each week. I'm looking to rent a townhome or condo with a yard initially and we really don't need anything big. Not interested in living amongst arrogant snooty people, I grew up in Philly's "Little Italy." Any suggestions? I would stay here but the drive is about 3 hours each way. However, I have a lovely house on 16 acres in the Pinelands right next to the state forest and am considering staying up there a few nights a week instead of moving. I'm going back tomorrow to take a second look at the offices and to get a better feel for LI. Any advice about towns, conditions, would be appreciated. Thank you.
will you be visiting one or more of those locations more than the others? That's quite a range of locations...

Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
I'd say Huntington , Northport or Babylon Village would be a great way to start a life on Long Island & they are pretty centrally located .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island